Iceland in December?

Search

Iceland in December?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in December?

I am thinking of taking my husband to Iceland for his 40th birthday in December. Are we crazy to go then? If we are not - then would the golden circle tour be good at that time of year or not good because of limited light? If not what places would you recommend at that time of year beside Blue Lagoon which I know is a must for me. Also - has anyone booked the restaurants through IcelandAir website - was it worth it? Thanks for any all help and any other recommendations.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I have been to Iceland in mid-January. Driving in rural areas of Iceland can be slightly tricky in the winter. If you do, make sure that the tires of the rental car have BIG studs in them.

In addition to seeing Reykjavik and Blue Lagoon, I would suggest that you consider a few days in Akureyri. You might taking the 45 minute flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM

December is a good idea, and of course you can do the Golden circle in December, even with the limited daylight. What you need to do though, is to plan your trip according to the daylight.
Why not book yourself?, most restaurants have their own websites, and will take your bookings.
B.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM

NOT a good idea in my opinion. I was there 2 weeks ago on business. Freezing rain the night before and black ice (and I was driven by an Icelandic frioend). The days are extremely short in December and your daylight driving time is likewise short. It can get quite cold and damp...choose another time.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:27 PM

I went to Iceland for my 40th birthday and couldn't think of a better celebration! HOWEVER my birthday is at the opposite side of the year: in June - in fact the longest day of the year! We were hiking until 10pm!

It actually SNOWED for my birthday dinner (wore the little outfit I had planned PLUS my glacier gear to the restaurant). We went for 3 weeks and it was one of my most amazing trips. While I think Iceland is probably fun in the winter as well (that's why I'm on this site in Dec by the way), I think it really shines in the summer. I might consider doing something else for his actual birthday but taking the big trip in June/July. Whatever you decide, happy celebrating!