Reload this Page >

Needing Cotswald informaion -----

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Marla

We will be visiting the Cotswald area in late October for 3-4 nights. We prefer to stay in a B&amp;B type place not necessarily secluded in the country. I'm looking at places in Stow-on-the-Wold, Cheltenham, etc. Anyone have any recommendations? <BR><BR>Have any of you Fodorites visited the area this late in the year? I'm thinking that it may be rainy and drizzling a lot, so we won't do the "walking the Cotswalds" stuff. DH and I are content to shop for antiques and meander around scenic towns, dropping in establishments for a "spot of tea" when we get cold and damp!<BR><BR>Also, I know there are several castles to visit in the area. Are there any castles that you can stay in (like in Germany)? Thanks for the help! Marla

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 07:44 AM
JOdy

we always go to UK in late October, weather is usually quite nice, never too cold but some drizzles, last year didn't even wear jackets that often, but be prepared! <BR>Right outside of stow in the Wold in winchcombe, is a darling mediaval house that is now a small hotel and restaurant. Wesley House- we were antiquing there one day and asked a dealer for a good place for lunch, we were sp delighted we returned for dinner. In fact even though we were staying at a hotel with a Michelin star we preferred the food there. Another guest said the rooms were charming. They do have a website, www.wesleyhouse.co.uk<BR>don't know when you will be in Uk but there is a big antiques fair in Malvern on Oct 14 <BR>Have a super trip! and hope you find some goodies!!

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 07:45 AM
steve

have twice stayed at a nice B&amp;B just outside Stratford - Oxstalls. Reasonable price, friendly.<BR><BR>To really enjoy the area, get on the very small roads. I especially liked going between Lechlade and Bibury on the tiny lanes

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Tony

Whatever you do don't stay in Cheltenham. There is nothing charming about it in my opinion. Any B&amp;B in the Stow-on-the-Wold area would be much nicer.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Marla

Marla- we just stayed last month in Upper Slaughter- between Bourton on the Water and Stow on Wold --in a nice English Manor house called LORD OF THE MANOR--( we did a manor house trip)...Of all the houses we stayed in , we liked the accomodations here the least but the restaurant here is THE BEST from our trip....It is a 2 star Michelin Rest...stay somewhere inexpensive and treat yourself to dinner at the rest. in this manor house!!! It is truley unforgettable dining!