Search

Iceland?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:13 PM
helenwolkow

Iceland?

Have seen an ad for IcelandAir tour. Thinking about it. got guide book from library and said they're due for earthquake, and volcanic eruptions are often. Anyone know anything about this?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:58 PM
iceman

Iceland is subject to eruptions at any time.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Amy

On my first trip to Iceland in 1996 the volcanologist who shows his own movies of the eruptions of Surtsey and Heimaey (sp.?) was anticipating with great eagerness the eruption of a volcano in Reykjavik. It hasn't happened yet, at least to any great degree, but they do seem to be rather well prepared for natural events. <BR>It hasn't stopped me from going there three times--and wanting to plan another trip there ASAP!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Jim Rosenberg

You should be no more concerned about going to Iceland for those reasons than you would be afraid to go to San Francisco or Yellowstone National Park.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:34 AM
zz-top

-<BR>Mt. Etna was erupting last year and Mt. Vesuvius is way overdue for it's next explosion, yet we keep on going to southern Italy in droves. I've rarely seen it discussed amidst travel boards, that Italy is seismically very unstable. What has this to do with Iceland? Not a darn thing. Except for the analogy that there are many places subject to earthquakes and/or volcanoes (Alaska, Washington, Costa Rica) -- and they continue to be attractions. <BR><BR>In the grand scheme of life and the risks we encounter, I'd be willing to take my chances on Iceland.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:23 AM
notafraid

don't let a little thing like a volcano stop you!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Sam I Am

&gt;<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2<BR><BR>Look at above thread " ...best things in Iceland".