Search

Ice in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice in Italy

Hi - I recall the lack of ice in beverages when I was in Italy but I can't remember if it was available in hotels or stores. Does anyone know if this is something you can buy in grocery stores? thanks for any help!<BR>Joann
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 10:54 AM

What would you do with ice you buy in a grocery store? <BR><BR>Sorry I don't have the answer to your question, though. I just got a picture in my head of ice sitting on a desk in a hotel and melting all over the place. <BR><BR>I do remember being able to get ice in water in restaurants if I asked, of course, usually I was drinking wine, maybe that's why I don't remember!
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Ice in drinks is not common in italy. I do not recall even seeing ice machines in hotels like here in North America. I'm sure if it is requested a hotel could accomodate you. As to sold in grocery stores, I've not seen it, but then I was not looking for it!(if you could find it in a grocery store, how would you store it???)
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:35 AM
GAC

In Italy, it is NOT the custom to put ice in beverages.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM

I don't know about restaurants, but my father requested ice from our hotel in Sorrento because his knee was swollen and they were able to provide it to him. I would imagine restaurants would have ice in the kitchen somewhere, it doesn't hurt to ask. It probably wouldn't be the first time they were asked for ice.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Bootman4U

we recently asked for ice in a restaurant in Florence. The waiter realized we were from the USA and brought us an entire bowl full.

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info - I do know it is not custom - that is why I was asking this question. I was hoping it was available for purchase so I could keep some things cold in our hotel room. Anyone else?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:16 PM

I've never seen it available in grocery stores. My aunt owns a small hotel in Italy and doesn't serve it. I think they think the chill makes you sick. We walked into a store in Florence in August and it was really cold. I said, &quot;An American must own this store.&quot; I was right. She was from Florida. She said Italians think air conditioning makes you sick. Offices aren't air conditioned and neither are houses. Just hotels. Our school wasn't air conditioned either.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Another reason for the lack of air conditioning and clothes dryers is electricity--very expensive in Italy.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:41 PM

most hotels have a small fridge in the room to keep anything cold. Most Italians drink wine, not spirits, so they don't need ice for their drinks.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:24 AM

For keeping things cold in your hotel room if there isn't a fridge I would take an insulated bag and an ice-pack. I'm sure the hotel would freeze the pack for you overnight if you asked.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:04 AM

Okay, I live here, so maybe I can help.<BR>No, you cannot buy ice at the store, however hotels and restaurants will have it. <BR>Italians think that cold drinks are more difficult to digest, so adding ice for them is like for an American to go outside in the cold. We don't do it because of our fear of catching a cold. Same thing for their fear of an open window. Often you'll see people dying of heat on a train or bus, but the don't want to open the windows for fear that the air will give them a stiff neck/back.<BR>Anyway, just ask when you need it. <BR>Ciao, Melissa
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:06 AM

About the air conditioning-<BR>Most of the buildings were built before a/c was invented. Therefore to now go back and add it would be an expensive undertaking. Newer offices, buildings, and homes have it. It is however considered a lux if you have it in the house.<BR>Being American, I have it.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:37 AM

no you can't buy ice at a store in italy.<BR><BR>when we travel to europe, we &quot;refrigerate&quot; everything we want to be a bit cooler on our window sill. never got sick yet...<BR><BR>you'll get used to it.<BR><BR>when in rome.....<BR><BR>(an earlier posting is correct: if you REALLY need something refrigerated enough to bother someone in your hotel, they will usually amusedly comply. Then you will have to bother them later to retrieve it.)
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Trying to concentrate on the point of prserving stuff while at a hotel, why not asking if the stuff you want to preserve can be kept in a hotel's refrigerator?