Ibis hotel chain - experiences?

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ibis hotel chain - experiences?

Hi,

I am heading to Germany in June for a few world cup matches. As expected, most of the hotels I would normally choose from are sold out. However, I noticed in a few places that Ibis hotels are available. I know Ibis is related to the Sofitel chain, and I have had very good experiences with Sofitels in Europe.

Has anyone used the Ibis chain before? I have checked Trip Advisor, however, the particular hotels that I am interested in do not have reviews listed.

Thanks in advance,
Chels
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:08 AM

My one experience was an Ibis near/in Paris. It was a location somewhat on the outskirts and the rooms were somewhat dorm-like, definately no frills. In a situation like yours I might stay there again but probably not if there were other choices. They are inexpensive tho!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:15 AM

I stayed at an Ibis in Amsterdam and it was pretty good. I felt like staying in a standard American-chain hotel: inexpensive, clean, good size bed and bath, and generous hot breakfast. Next time though, I'd probably look for smaller hotels with charm in the middle of the city. Good Luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM
tod

The Ibis would be my choice in Germany.
It's bound to be basic but spotless.
I always stay at the Ibis Euston in London for it's convenient local and have no complaints.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Yes, Ibis is one of the brands offered by Accor, the parent company that also runs Sofitel. They are at decidedly different levels, though. Ibis is the basic no frills product. An apt analogy might be the Crown Plaza and Holiday Inn Express brands offered by the same company.
I have stayed at Ibis in several European countries and they were pretty consistent - basic but clean, and pretty good value for the money.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:40 AM

I stayed in an Ibis just outside Paris one night, and I thought it was an excellent value. The room was spotlessly clean, the furnishings new. It was definitely no-frills, but the price was good. If there were Ibis hotels in central Paris, I'd book a room in a flash because I like to save on lodging and spend my money on other (more important) things.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I stayed at one in Gothenburg, Sweden. It was a moored boat, used as a hotel. It was indeed spotless and shipshape. The room was very small (I'd guess 9 x 9 plus the smallish bathroom), but everything worked very well.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It looks like Ibis is the more reliable hotel chain that is still available. I will probably end up giving Ibis a try.

Thanks again,
Chels
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 11:49 AM

sandykins - there are Ibis hotels all over Paris, not just in the suburbs. One of my favorites is on rue Breguet near the Bastille.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Thank you, Seamus. I'm going to go check out the place on-line right now, for my next trip to Paris.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Chels: Not our first choice, but on three occasions (one in Bamburg)it was what was available. I have to tell you we were very pleasantly suprised. The rooms are always very clean, simply but colorfully decorated, with everything we needed to be comfortable. Breakfast is extra, but inexpensive and good. I wouldn't hesitate if that is what is available.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We've generally had good results with Ibis, along the lines that others have mentioned re cleanliness, etc.

The BIG exception to which was a stay at the Ibis in the Edinburgh old town last spring. Room shabby/dirty, things that didn't work, plus the hotel staff (all French apparently) brought all the warmth and hospitality of Parisian waiters to their duties.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:07 PM

I always stay at the Gatwick Ibis the night before an early flight/ after a late arrival. No frills, clean, comfortable, nice staff and a shuttle bus to and from the airport. And cheap. It's not as if I'm looking for a resort hotel, just somewhere convenient.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM

My husband had the same opinion as Gardyloo about the Edinburgh Ibis. Other than that, we've been satisfied with the Ibis hotels we've stayed at in the Netherlands, France and Germany. They're basic but the ones in Germany that I've stayed at should certainly be clean and comfortable.
Don't expect an Ibis to be anything like a Sofitel though...those are the luxury side of the Accor group. Which Ibis locations are you asking about?
I believe we've stayed at the Ibis hotels in Cologne, Dortmund, and Bamberg. All were fine and well located. The Ibis in Nuremberg is in the old town, a short walk from the train station. The hotel is fine although that area can get a little noisy at night--ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you want more quiet.
I plan to spend a night at a Germany Ibis in Feb. before catching a train to Vienna.
P.S. My one complaint with the Ibis hotels is the breakfast. If it's not included with your rate, don't bother. It's overpriced for what you get. You'll do better at a local bakery.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM

The breakfast at the Gothenburg Ibis was excellent. But Scandinavian breakfasts in general are.

BTilke, I think you also stayed at the Chartres Ibis, if I recall? (I have a memory that is fairly good, but sometimes faulty.)
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:59 PM

I stayed at the Ibis in Strasbourg. Clean room, decent bathroom, nice staff. Good location and decent snacks available at all hours if you need one (eg. leaving early for a flight) I thought it was good value for the money.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:11 PM

I have stayed at the Ibis on the river in Frankfurt. It was very nice and the buffet breakfast was amazing. The price is generally moderate, but during events such as the International Auto Show, the rates almost double.

I have also stayed at the Ibis in Strasbourg, France. It is just across from the train station. Very clean, great air conditioner, and nice buffet breakfast.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 07:50 PM
tod

WillTravel - Stayed at the Hotel Ibis Chartres in 2004 and was pleased with the close proximity to the cathedral(just a leisurely stroll up the hill)and also their restaurant was very good.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:44 PM

Here's the deal:
As posted above, the Accor Hotel chain has a variety of 'brands', all pitched at a different price point. All the ones I have been to have been fine for the money paid.
Sofitel
Grand Mercure
Novotel
Ibis
ETAP
Formule 1
The last name goes for about 25-29 euros a room in France, and the prices for the others increase incrementally.

Overall, Accor Hotels seem slightly more expensive in Germany than in France.

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 10:08 PM

I was going to say the Ibis is not the bottom of the heap

Cheap and cheerful- does what it says on the tin. Don't expect room service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -