Iberia lost luggage?

Search

Iberia lost luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iberia lost luggage?

Someone just mentioned that Iberia has a habit of losing luggage, I am flying Malaga/Barcelona/Rome (Iberia plane change. Any experience and/or helpful hints?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Actually, 2 summers ago we flew Iberia and my husband's luggage didn't make it to Barcelona when we did. We went to the customer service desk, the clerk was very polite, spoke English, located our luggage in Madrid, said it would be on the next flight in, and they would deliver it to our hotel in the afternoon. We spent the afternoon having fun in the city and when we got back to the room, our luggage was there. They handled it adeptly and professionally.

Unfortunately, when we came home to Miami, my husband's luggage wasn't there--this time we were on American. He did not get it for another day or two ...so you make the call!
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:34 AM

My husband just flew Iberia home from BCN through Madrid to JFK. When he got to the gate, they made him check his bag. Then, it did not arrive at JFK. We just got it back and stuff was stolen. They stole a pair of slippers and some t-shirts he had bought at the soccer stadium. The people at Iberia was AWFUL, rude, dishonest, you name it. We live in San Juan and when I went to the Iberia counter they told me the bag was in JFK offices for Iberia. I asked for a printout of that and they gave me a piece of paper that said nothing of the sort. I said, "where does it say it is in the offices?". The response, "well, it doesn't say that." They totally lie and steal!!! We have spoken to numerous people here who have similar stories. I would never fly them again and if I had to, I would NEVER check a bag.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. I guess I can only hope for the best. We will have to check 2 bags because the inter-Europe weight allowance is only 10 lbs for carryon. I'm kind of worried about the prospect, because we have an apartment in Rome and we have no one to sign for it if we should be out. The joys (?) of travel, I guess.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Make sure that your luggage ID tags are on VERY securely (with more than one thing - like add a cable tie).

Check the information on your luggage tags. It should be your current home address and phone numbers.

Put an itinerary with contact information and accurate addresses INSIDE your suitcases.

LOOK at the tracking labels they put on your bag. Check the name on it and the destination airport.

If for some reason your suitcase doesn't come down the conveyor belt (groan) -- do not leave the airport without filling out the paper work!

Take my word for it - I am an expert on lost bags.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to your sage advice, I have tagged my bags in several places and will definitely look at the destination tag when they put it on at the airport to make sure it is checked through. Appreciate the info.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I work for the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) so I've seen and heard it all.

I don't know how much luggage you have, but for this trip (or any in the future), learn The Interlock.

The Interlock is a method of packing that allows me (a woman) to pack a week and a half's worth of clothing into one suitcase...This includes two pairs of shoes/sneakers. (The best part is your clothes won't even be wrinkled.)

Here at TSA we have a saying: There's only two kinds of luggage--Carry on and Lost.

My advice: Check nothing; Take everything.

Here's the link to learn The Interlock. The 6 steps are easy.

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/t...?tx_id=78&

Cheers,
teneriqueza
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM

You know, it seems a little irresponsible for someone who suposedly "works at the TSA" to say there are only two kinds of luggage.

I've flown thousands of miles over the past 45 years and never once had any luggage lost, including several Iberai flights.

Your "packing hint" has absolutely NOTHING to do with ensuring that luggage doesn't get lost, or worse, rifled and robbed by someone "behind the scenes.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Intrepid,

I suppose the TSA doesn't really have anything to do with lost luggage, right?

I will say though, that even if you've traveled a million miles or a hundred, if you do suffer a lost suitcase it is a real drag.

US Air lost my son's bag with virtually everything he owns in it (a dumb college kid...) on Dec 17. I replaced all his stuff, it cost me a million dollars (oh - did it just seem that way - try buying a teenager's wardrobe all at once!) and I have nothing but aggravation from US Air so far.

But, I'll tell you this - once it happens to you it totally changes your outlook on the luggage scene.

Lot's of "could haves, should haves," even though you know probably nothing you can do prevents it.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I have to check 2 bags. There are 2 of us and we'll be away for 7 weeks. Iberia from Malaga to Rome only allows 1 carryon per person of 10 lbs each and 1 checked bag each of 44lbs. I do know how to pack efficiently to manage those restrictions.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM

prr761:
I'd figure that for 7 weeks you're going to have to do laundry a few times anyway.

So pack for one week (which you should be able to do for 44lbs) and then do laundry or wash things by hand. You'll have to buy stuff that dries quickly and without wrinkles. You really can do it - but it will take some special planning.

Sounds like a GREAT trip. Have fun.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I think we've had luggage lost on nearly every major airline EXCEPT Iberia! LOL. You've already gotten excellent advice from other posters, so I'll just add ( in case you haven't already thought of it) that you should definitely pack a set of clothes and your necessary toiletries/medicines, etc. in your carry-on bag.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the extra ideas. I will work on lightening the load and definitely will pack the "drugstore" in my carryon. By the way, the Iberia flight is only one way-I may be obsessing over something I shouldn't, but as wliwl points out...it only takes one loss to set you up forever. All of my other flights have much more weight allowance, though I'll be doing quite a bit of train travel, too. Definitely don't want many and heavy bags. Got to get to work reorganizing!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I've always had great luck with checked luggage, with the exception of a Northwest flight (extremely narrow connection time in Minn), and Iberia. The problem I had with Iberia (partly my own, I admit) was that they didn't check my bags all the way through to LAX - only through to LHR. So, while I and my boyfriend got home safely, our luggage got to spend an extra night in London. Thankfully, we were home, so it wasn't a biggie.

My advice? Make certain your luggage is checked all the way through your trip! Check those tags. I did, but only while we were sitting at the gate, and even though we still had a looooong time to wait, and our luggage was sitting on the tarmac, Iberia only told us we had to bring it up with British Airways. I normally don't check the tags, but I got a funny feeling after the guy at the counter looked confused when I presented him with a copy of the e-ticket I had. He spoke English, but he acted like he had never seen anything like that before. Made me a bit uneasy.

Might want to take a change of clothes in the carry on just in case? Can't hurt, I suppose.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:38 AM

I might clarify that there are two kinds of "lost" luggage.

There are the ones that show up a day or two late. An inconvenience.

And then there are the ones that never show up. Turns a vacation into a (not fun) shopping trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM

<b>Intrepid1</b>:

You know, it seems a little irresponsible for someone who suposedly &quot;works at the TSA&quot; to say there are only two kinds of luggage.
--Is it? As <b>wliwl</b> said, TSA has nothing to do with lost luggage, so I would disagree that it’s irresponsible for a TSA employee to comment on it. And the reason I have at all is because of the amount of travelers who contact my office (at the instruction of airlines) to have lost luggage located and delivered.

Your &quot;packing hint&quot; has absolutely NOTHING to do with ensuring that luggage doesn't get lost, or worse, rifled and robbed by someone &quot;behind the scenes.
--Again, I would disagree. The original poster, <b>prr761</b> requested helpful hints. I only suggested that if one is able to pack a bag in a way that would allow them to carry on all their items, it would keep a person from having to check anything. This would eliminate having personal property lost by the airline, or as you suggested having personal property rifled and robbed by someone &quot;behind the scenes.&quot;

When I travel I stay in this frame of mind: If I can't carry it on, it's staying at home.

To <b>wliwl</b>: Your two types of lost luggage was a hoot (though unfortunate for those who experience it.) I’ll share it with the rest of the office.

Cheers,
teneriqueza

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM

teneriqueza:
Maybe you could just glance around any airport you happen to be in for my son's lost bag (last seen Dec 17; maybe Columbus OH, maybe West Palm Beach Fl, maybe Philly, maybe Rochester NY, maybe the North Pole...). It's a Columbia orange rolling duffle. Smelling like a college kid's dirty laundry. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I just helped my daughter pack for 5 months in Spain. She needed winter and summer clothes so we put some of each in both suitcases. We did this with everything she took so if one suitcase went astray she would still have a few pieces of everything she needed.

When we travel together, we each put a few outfits in the other persons luggage. We also put sticky notes in all the pockets and inside the suitcases with names and addresses in case the outer tag gets lost.

In Europe, you can't get your luggage shrink-wrapped at the airport for a small fee. You can also use one of the new TSA locks.

Wliwl - Maybe your son's luggage is in the unclaimed baggage center in Scottsboro, Alabama.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:28 AM

<b>wliwl</b>:

Ha! At least you have a sense of humor about it all. I suppose with all the craziness going on, you have to.

I don't operate out of one specific airport.

Tell me, which airline was your son with? Which airport did he fly out of? Any lay overs? I can at least check into any stinky orange bags are laying around anywhere.

Miracles happen every day.

Cheers,
teneriqueza
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:53 AM

It was US Air. Actually they put the wrong baggage thingy on the suitcase. So, it had someone else's name on it and went to the wrong airport. He flew out of Columbus to Rochester, via Philly (the US Air weak link). But the bag was marked for West Palm Beach.

Alas, that sucker is gone. I filed a $2100 claim and have not received any $ yet. (8 weeks!) The real problem was that, because college kids are dumb and lazy, every single thing he owned was in the bag. He just puts everything he owns in there so he doesn't have to think about it. We spent some frantic time trying to put together a wardrobe for him to take back to school. (And if you've ever had to shop for a teenager, you know how pricey/annoying that can be!)

The funny part was that on his way back to college, with his new suitcase and new clothes, the suitcase once again was &quot;lost,&quot; although it showed up the next night.

I think he's learned a lesson about carry on (but maybe not...).

Well, I've done nothing but b--ch about it since, and no doubt everybody's tired of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -