Search

Iberia airlines - pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iberia airlines - pros and cons?

Hi all

I got my vacation time approved! I'm going to Lisbon!

So, now I'm checking airfares.

It looks like Iberia is 100 bucks cheaper than Continental. If it's a similar flight (decent planes, decent food, not cramped and smelly, etc.) I may as well save 100 bucks. If it's questionable, I'll just pay the extra and be happy.

any thoughts appreciated.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Where to and is it direct?

I flew Continental to Paris, but switched to Iberia to Barcelona through Madrid to save money this past summer. First, there was a lot of walking from the plane to the first terminal. Then, there was a long walk to the holding area for the bus to the connecting terminal. We ended up having to assist an older couple who did not get a wheelchair they requested and sorely needed. Communication with the staff was difficult and they were rather indifferent.

With a direct flight or a differnt airport, perhaps travelling by Iberia would be no problem. It was a no frills flight and the plane looked old, but the flights were otherwise okay.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the info.

It is into Madrid with a change to Lisbon.

I may go Continental anyway, since on the way over it connects in Newark - meaning once I land in Europe, I'm done. The ride home will be a bear though. (another Newark connection).
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM

As far as I know, Iberia never had a problem with raw sewage in the aisles, as Continental did recently:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...;search=Search
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Flygirl...Lisbon???

But anyway....I took Iberia to Spain last fall and it was totally fine going over. No better and more importantly, no worse, than many other airlines I've flown. Coming home, I did get bumped in Madrid but was handsomely rewarded $$$ for the effort (more than paid for my ticket, plus reasonable inconvenience) and I only got home a day later. If you factor that in to your return time and know it going into it, I think you'd be fine to do this. My savings on the fare though was more in the neighborhood of $350 over other fares. Not sure if $100 is "worth it".

But service and quality-wise, it was completely fine.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:50 PM
ComfyShoes

All things remaining the same, I would fly Iberia if it is cheaper. I don't find it any worse than any other airline Well, except British Airways which, personal opinion, is always a notch above the rest.