I want to see it all.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:38 AM
teresa

I want to see it all.

What is the best way to maximize my first visit to Italy. We will be traveling to Rome for three days, Florence one day and Venice for three days? I just want to see the highlights, but all of them. Thanks!

Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:46 AM
elaine

teresa
I'm sure you know you can't possibly see it all, and if the number of days you've listed includes time spent traveling from one place to another then you'll even have to pick and choose among the "must sees".
Can you provide some idea of what appeals to you?
Do you like art museums? Historical sites? Churches? Architecture? Gardens? What two or three things in each place have you always dreamed of seeing?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Cindy

Given your time constraints, I'd say the best way to maximize the trip would be to scale back your destinations or add a few more days.

Here's why. You'll lose your first day in Rome to arrival and jet lag. You'll get a good second and third day of touring. On the fourth day, you'll pack, check out of your hotel, go to the train station, take a two-hour train to Florence, find your hotel, check in, unpack, and maybe have time to stroll a bit before dinner. The next day, you'll pack up and get yourself to Venice, which will consume a good hunk of the day. You then have two restful days in Venice before you go home. I'm worn out just thinking about it.

If you can't add a few days, I'd pick either Rome with Florence or Florence with Venice. That's a tough choice, but I'd do Rome with Florence.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Italy is great!

Jan 22nd, 2001, 12:51 PM
Celia

In one day in Florence you might be able to see the Duomo and a few of the art works in the Accademia. But you won't be able to get into the Uffizi (how many f's and z's are there in that word, anway?) unless you have advance-purchase timed tickets. You'd spend at least half a day waiting in line to get in.

But that leaves no time at all for just walking and looking at the beauty of the city. I would try to spend at least one more day in Florence. Like Cindy, I would pick only 2 of these three cities if you can't extend the time.

Have a wonderful trip!

Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:38 PM
ann

Skip going into museums - you often have to wait on line and once inside it takes several hours to see even a small part of any major museum. All of Europe is so full of beauty on the OUTSIDE of buildings that I rarely go into museums on my first trip to a city, especially if short on time. Just walk around the city, see the art work that is all aound in the form of architecture, fountains, bridges,etc.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 05:28 PM
SharonJ

Teresa, If this is truly all the time you have, I would do Florence for two days and Venice two days. I did two days in each of those places and got to see Uffizi, Accademia, Boboli Gardens etc in Florence and all the basics in Venice. Even though I know there will be other trips in the future I really wanted to see as much as I could fit in. I think it depends on your travel philosphy.