I LOVE TRAVEL DO YOU?

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Roger Pan

I LOVE TRAVEL DO YOU?

I love travel. I love all of it, every aspect. The love starts with the trip planning, laying out the itinerary, determining the hotels, the car rentals, the train tickets, and every little detail. The hours of research on the Internet and with travel books are like an opiate to me. I get high just thinking about it. I love going to the airport, I love the crowds there, the lines, the people all waiting to go somewhere. I get all excited just waiting for the boarding call. I get on the plane and settle in and am so excited that I am actually on my way. I love the flights, the people. I am never bored on the flight as I use the time for more reading and planning. I tremble with anticipation as the plane touches down in my final destination. I welcome the hubbub at passport control and customs. I am in nirvana when I walk out of the arrival hall into the mass of people from all over the world. I revel in the sights and sounds and smells of this place. I can not wait until I get out into the city and countryside and begin to explore. I love the languages I hear, the local people I meet, the sights I see. I love everything about it. Travel, travel, travel, I can never get enough of it. Thank God that I can do it.

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Judy

Amen!!!!! Thank you, Brother Love.

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Laura

I had to reply to this post. I'm absolutelly crazy about travelling. I never get enough hearing and talking about it. I love the planning and researching. I can spend hours looking up information on the Internet. I can open a travel agency with all the brochures that I have in my house. I'm leaving for Italy (this is not my first time) at the end of May and the anticipation is almost eating me alive. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who is travel crazy.

Mar 27th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Heather

I like your style!!

Mar 27th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Marilyn

YES!!!! My love of travel started with my first "real" job. I was an airline hostess with TWA - back when Howard Hughes owned it. Yes, I am older. Then came marriage, babies and an opportunity to purchase the family vacation lake house. The agreement was that there could not be money spent for both the house and travel. Knowing I could not travel was difficult but we all must make choices. Then came an opporunity to relocate to Europe via my husband's job. We are now stateside, but are again making choices. We no longer care about cars, new carpet, buying stuff. We do care about and indulge in travel. It is so liberating to find an interest and to realize we need few possesions to make us happy. How was your passion sparked?

Mar 27th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Gloria

Well said, Roger! I am right there with you!

Mar 27th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Patti Suttle

Roger-me too! You sound so much like me!
I love the planning so much!! I have tons of money invested in travel books and am addicted to this forum for travel information. I too love arriving in a foreign city with so much to look forward to. OK, get this-I even like the food on the planes (I know I will hear about this!). BUT, there is a reason for this. It gives me something to do while flying. THAT is the only thing I DON'T like-is the actual flying. (There will be 10 of us and most of us don't like the flying part-this will be interesting!) I'm OK until it gets bumpy! I hate any kind of turbulence.
Another thing I do llike is packing! It starts the excitement I think. I am working on packing my 21" carry-on now for my June/July (19 days) trip to Ireland, London and Paris. Its a challenge I think. I could ramble on longer....
Thanks for the chance to share!
Patti

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Judy

nHello All, Ok, this should show you all, how much I love travel: My 10 year old niece(knowing a sucker when she sees one) sent me a magazine fund raising brochure(you know the kind). And guess what? I was guilt tripped into buying 3 magazines(ha). Travel Holiday, National Geographic: Traveler. AND Arthur Frommer's Budget Traveler. It was all for a good cause, of course. Not that I really wanted them(ha). I have been smitten by the travel bug. Judy ;-)

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Gloria

Judy, I saw the post about Michele's new book. Who is she? A Fodorite? And, what is the book about? (haha, like I needed to ask!)
Please advise.
Thanks!

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Gina

Ayyy-men, Roger! Beautifully put. One of my favorite things about traveling is looking at the departure boards at international airports, especially hubs like Heathrow and Amsterdam, imagining where the people around me are going and thinking of all the destinations on the board as possibilities for myself. Riyadh? Singapore? Sydney? Athens? Who's going where, and where will I go next?

When I pick up a friend at Dulles, I always indulge the fantasy of "If I wanted to, I could just lay down a credit card, blow the budget and hop that next flight to Madrid..." Ah, travel, the ultimate addiction.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:55 AM
AC

Very well said Roger
I love to travel so much that right after I made arrangements for my 2001 trip (which I planned in August 2001)
I starting dreaming about where to go in 2002 (Ireland definitely and I have to decide on another place...I'm thinking, I'm thinking)
That said, my family lives right outside of JFK. On warm nights I enjoy sitting in the yard watching the jumbo jets go over the house. I take the binoculars with me so I can see the tail insignias of the jets I don't recognize. Then I try to imagine where they are going and wish I was going to!
Happy Travels!!

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Thyra

Nicely said!!!

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:06 AM
OP

My friend Ed goes into a travel-trance. His wife told me she got a little worried about him when they were in Florence because he was so into/outof it. He's in Italy now and I can't wait to hear him re-enact the whole trip. I, too, absolutely love it. I'm at work and should not be here, but I can't help myself. All I think about is my trip in June: where should I stay in CinqueTerre, what will it smell like in Venice, how about Verona, should I check out Cremona for my cellist son? It goes on and on. And I rarely get grumpy on a trip unless something is truly unbearable. Hmm, I can just feel the damp air in Venice...

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Cathy

When did you guys realize that you were addicted? For me, it was my first trip out of the country. Several years later I still love everything about it!

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Home Bound

Noooo... I HATE travel.

What a DUMB question to post on a TRAVEL FORUM!!!

DUMBASS!

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:34 AM
no name

hey home bound:
Maybe you should get away from the computer and get some fresh air.
You are a bit cranky aren't you?

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:48 AM
me too

I agree with Home Bound. This is STUPID!

p.s. And I'm in a good mood and I just came in from enjoying some beautiful sunshiny weather.

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:53 AM
xxx

In the last few hours I have seen the words:
Idiot
Stupid
Jerk (said to prove a point, I think)
Dumbass
Airhead

My Mom always said, "If you can't said anything nice..."

Perhaps you people who think this charming post is stupid should book a trip. It sounds like you need one!

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Art

I HATE TRAVEL. The devil makes me do it.

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Judy

Homebound and xxx; hello, this IS a travel talk Forum! Why else would one be here. We(in the broadest of terms)want to travel, or will travel, or have traveled. So what "Homebound" and "me too" are you doing here? Judy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO