Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I love Paris in the springtime, will I love it in the winter???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:02 AM
aj

Our trip planned for Paris and London next summer my have to be postponed until winter. We have enjoyed Paris in the spring will we enjoy a winter visit or should we wait until the next summer?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:25 AM
jhm

How does the song "I love Paris" go? Paris is a phenomenal city no matter what the season. Things that are great about the winter: a) the great feeling of being in a museum on a rainy day; b) hot chocolate from Angelina's on the rue de Rivoli not seeming so incongruous; c) being comparatively alone at odd times of day on the Eiffel Tower/roof of Notre Dame... <BR> <BR>help me, people!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Scott McDonald

Aj.... <BR> <BR>What I like about Paris in Winter is that the crowds of tourists are gone. That's a great advantage for the Winter visitor. There are still small line-ups at many things in Winter, but nothing like in the Spring or Summer. Just make sure you're built to walk in the rain(and maybe snow)....a good pair of waterproof(resistant?)shoes, an umbrella, a good raincoat. It does get dark quite a bit earlier in Winter, so your sightseeing time is cut somewhat. But...if you've already been there in Spring, why not have a look in Winter? <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Scott

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:37 AM
elaine

as the song goes, winter is "when it drizzles", but on the other hand it usually drizzles in the other seasons as well <BR>Personally, I never plan visits to Paris around the season. I guess I should say, summer is undoubtedly nicer weather, but <BR>I usually don't care that much because I love it all the time. <BR>If you are primarily going for gardens,casual strolling and window shopping and sidewalk-cafe sitting, maybe not. If you're going for museums and mostly inside activities, absolutely. As pointed out, its a good excuse to have hot chocolate. And it may not rain all the time.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Robin

I can't speak for Paris, but I had a wonderful time in London in the winter, for probably the same reasons: fewer tourists, everything quieter, a little more emphasis on indoor activities (museums, concerts, etc.). What you would sacrifice is the "cafe society"-- it just isn't that pleasant when it's cold (I have been to Paris in April , when it wasn't warm yet). Another issue is that days are very long in the summer, and they will be short in the winter. The cuisine will be different, as French chefs are very seasonal, and that is probably an opportunity. Altogether it's a different experience, but I don't see how it could be negative.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Betsy

If you've seen Paris at other times, than in winter you'll love the lack of crowds. But! What no one has mentioned is that if you're traveling in January you will be able to get incredible bargains because of all the January sales! I bought sweaters for next to nothing 10 years ago that are still in wonderful condition, (though out of style.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:11 AM
elvira

Paris in the winter: fewer tourists (the few that are there are independent travelers, and serious about it); ballet, opera, classical concerts, etc. are in full swing; lots of special exhibits at the museums, hotel de ville, convention centers, etc.; cassoulets, boeuf bourguignon, and hearty soups are on the menu; hot chocolate at Angelina's really hits the spot; they flooded the city hall plaza last year for skating (cool beans); up to Christmas, gorgeous decorations in the stores and on the streets; after Christmas, s a l e s (soldes); a photo of the Eiffel Tower in the snow is a lot rarer than one where it's surrounded by blooming flowers.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Thyra

I just agree with what others have said...Paris is wonderful 365 days per year... but I actually prefer late winter, grey skys, rain, makes for some wonderful.. "sit in a cafe and sip divine coffee all day", days. Many fewer tourists and hotels/flights are much less expensive. Actually since we come from So. Cal, we generally don't go for sunny/bright locations, have enough of that at home, we're not on a real vacation unless we see some 'weather'. Bon Voyage!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Marsha

Paris is wonderful in the winter. I've spent the month of January in Paris, and have also been there in March, June and September. In January, the prices are great and everything is open, but with no crowds. It rains, but you can concentrate on indoor activities, like drinking hot chocolate and leisurely visiting all the corners of the Louvre (or some of the lesser-visited museums). Someone once explained to me that it was probably safest to visit Paris when the weather isn't ideal, because if you go in June when everything is blooming and the weather is perfect, you may never return home.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:26 AM
aj

Thanks for all the good advice! As usual I get great ideas from this board! Keep them coming!! We love to wander the streets of Paris will we still be able to do that in winter weather?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:41 AM
John

My first visit to Paris many moons ago was in the week before Christmas and it was absolutely, completely wonderful, for all the reasons cited, plus the fact that we had cold, clear weather and walks through the Tuileries and Luxembourg were bracing and all-French, believe me. <BR> <BR>But then after a few days we hustled down to the Mediterranean, and I can tell you that the transition from frosty, vibrating Paris to citrus and eucalyptus trees and ice cream in St. Tropez - well, that was the beginning of an ongoing infatuation with this country, drizzling, sizzling, brown, green, or white. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Marsha

Dear AJ: <BR> <BR>Yes, you can wander the streets in Paris during the winter. Even the flower markets set the fresh flowers out on January days! It will sometimes be drizzly and damp, but wear solid shoes and a coat and you will be fine. But I'm from the MidWest, so any day December through March above 10F without snow is good weather for walking!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:23 AM
tommy

I really enjoy this. To the top.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Cynthia

For various reasons my husband and I rented an apartment in Paris for two weeks last February. Having been to Paris many times in Spring and Fall I was a bit leery about Feb. We liked it so much we are going again next year. The best part--no crowds. Example, I was in the Napoleon apartments in the Louvre all by myself. There were wonderful shows at the museums that you could just walk into, including a retrospective of Giacometti which would have had huge lines in the summer. Just bring warm clothes--there were a couple days that were bright but very cold. I also was sure that we couldn't sit in outdoor cafes and watch the world go by, yet many of the cafes have heaters that make it possible. We also walked into many good restaurants without reservations including the Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower where they treated us very well. As others have mentioned I have now found out that Paris is wonderful anytime of the year.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:55 AM
SharonG

Spent the week of Christmas there last year and it was great. Walked right into every attraction. Had private tour of the Emperor's apartments at Versailles (quite interesting when the tour guide opened up the toilet bowl to show us the design on the inside). Did plenty of walking around and sitting in cafes too. Most of them had heaters for the outside and were full. And there were still flowers outside, in window boxes and gardens. Go!!!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:11 PM
aimee

I actually like Paris better in the winter than other seasons for all the reasons mentioned above (fewer tourists being reason #1). For example, one can actually view art in a museum without fighting for space. Paris is very relaxing and still beautiful in the winter - and all year round!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:20 PM
YS

My girlfriend and I were in Paris and London just after last Christmass and liked it. The lines to the museams are short, but it rained most of the time. It wasn't very cold in Paris, and maybe a little colder in London, but if you wear the right clothes you're fine. There weren't many takers for people watching from the outdoor cafes. <BR>One minor disadavtage of being there in December - short days. It gets dark around 4pm, but there's light in the museams and cafes!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 10:18 AM
t

topping

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 07:42 AM
t

ttt

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Rita Bryant

I can't imagine enjoying Paris quite as much in the winter. I really loved being there in warm weather and eating OUTSIDE at all the cafes. I also enjoyed not lugging around a coat. BUT...I'm sure I would love Paris any time of year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -