Reload this Page >

I LONG FOR SPAIN

Search

I LONG FOR SPAIN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 09:19 AM
Sandra

I LONG FOR SPAIN

My husband and I spent a semester in college in Madrid. We are, after 6 years, FINALLY going back in March. Our time is limited as we will be there 10 nights. We fly in and out of Madrid. <BR>We are planning to go to Sevilla, Cadiz, MAdrid, and Toledo. We are actually thinking about a visit to Ronda, and Talavera de la Reina. We LOVE (everything about Spain) Spanish talavera and are hoping to bring as much as possible back with us. <BR> <BR>A few questions- where is Ronda? IS it a feasible trip (we are planning on using the rail system). <BR> <BR>What is the attraction in Cadiz? <BR> <BR>Should we try to fit in Segovia? Is it truly a day trip from Madrid? <BR> <BR>I remember hearing that the best flamenco in all of Spain was in Cordova. Can anyone tell me where exactly, or are there any suggestions for great flamenco without being in a room full of tourists? (no offense- I am one as well) <BR> <BR>Lastly, does anyone know of an importer in the U.S. for Spanish talavera where it can be found cheaply? Or are there any suggestions for getting as much as possible back to the states? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 09:52 AM
michele

Sandra, <BR> <BR>There is a fairly recent posting on flamenco that you should find. There were quite a few good suggestions, including an suthentic place in Madrid. <BR> <BR>I think you are trying to do too much in such a short time. I THINK Ronda is about a two hour drive from Seville.Anyway, I would pare down the itinerary and soak-up the atmosphere inone or two areas. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 12:41 PM
kristi

Hi Sandra. Personally, I thought the trip to Ronda was great because of the scenic drive on the way there, but I wasn't bowled over by the city itself. We drove from the Costa del Sol so I don't know if the scenery on the other side, coming from Seville, is as nice. I believe Ronda is much closer to the Costa del Sol than to Seville (it took us at least an hour to get there) and because of the steep winding roads, it might actually be a longer drive than 2 hours. <BR> <BR>There's a web site that gives a good description of Ronda and the other places in Andalucia at www.andalucia.com. <BR> <BR>Instead of Ronda, you might consider a day trip to Cordoba from Seville (30-45 minutes by AVE train) or going to Granada if you haven't seen the Alhambra.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Rex

Sandra, <BR>. <BR>I agree that the Alhambra is a main course, Ronda is a dessert. If and when I have the occasion to take someone back to Granada, I think I will be interested in splurging and stay right in the Alhambra itself (see www.parador.es - - test your knowledge of Spain geography, choose the general map and click on Granada!) This place was a 15th century convent, and it is often described as the quintessential parador in all of Spain, with a "must-go" restaurant to boot (even if you don't stay there). <BR>. <BR>Ronda is an awesome chasm in the middle of a town, (plus the drive to get there is pretty cool) but in an hour you will say, "ok, let's move on" (unless, by chance you choose a bullfight day to go there - - not sure where you would check that schedule; Ronda's bullring IS the oldest in Spain, but I have never been there). <BR>. <BR>Best wishes, <BR>. <BR>Rex

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 01:39 PM
merriem

I was curious about the Spanish talavera. I collect the talavera that has been made in Puebla, MX for over 300 years, and had no idea there was something similar in Spain. We are going in March also, and of course, I have to bring thing back that break? Any Info?

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 01:40 PM
merriem

I was curious about the Spanish talavera. I collect the talavera that has been made in Puebla, MX for over 300 years, and had no idea there was something similar in Spain. We are going in March also, and of course, I have to bring thing back that break? Any Info?

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 04:57 PM
Todd

Sandra, I spent about a year in Cadiz in 91 and have the fondest Andalucian memories of this town. It sure doesn't read well in the guide books but pay them no heed. It has an industrial port which may sound put-offish but it's tucked away out of sight and not an eyesore anyway. The city's allure for me stems from it being a nice meld of historical import (oldest city in all of western Europe, Sir Francis Drake stormed the shores in an attack against the Armada) coupled with stunning beaches studded with spanish people--not anything like the mickey-mouse novelty of the Costa Del Sol. The people are also the most affable in Europe (maybe only the Portuguese can compete). The town is divided into two parts, cleverly... "the old" (sometimes called the center) and "the new". The old boasts a lovely golden-domed Cathedral dripping with history, various museums and a quaint plaza near the ayuntamiento where the pulse of the city congregates. The new part has the infamous Paseo Maritimo -- a huge strip of sidewalk adjacent to the beach which stretches for roughly four miles or so. There are a few outdoor cafes dotting it. This is where families and friends stroll randomly in there Sunday best at sunset. When there I had the ugly thought that a chunk of land like that in the U.S. would last about ten minutes before having multiple resorts thrown-up in haste. If you're lucky, an early morning low tide can actually reveal roman ruins bristling up from the ocean and you can trepse around in them while watching the local fisherman prepare their nets! Cadiz is an untapped gem if you like that sort of thing.