Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I like it when women in Europe don't shave.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Bill

I think its sexy. When I first saw Italian women at the beach who didn't shave their armpits, I realized that I liked it. And I wish more American women would stop shaving, too. <BR> <BR>Now I know there are many in the US who will disagree. But I also know many will agree. What do you think?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:38 AM
sandi

I think most woman would love the IDEA of not shaving but maybe not the look of it. I wonder if you would start making those "cricket" noises during ....

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:50 AM
American Woman

I shave constantly -- and love it. When a new kind of razor comes out for women, I try it to see if it's better than what I have. <BR> <BR>Shaved armpits decrease BO, and shaved legs look great and feel good against the sheets at night. I have seen women at the gym who look like Sasquatch ("Big Foot"); this is not a compliment. <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:47 AM
Capo

Just another example of "Vive la difference!" <BR> <BR>Some men like women who shave their legs and armpits (couldn't we have come up with a better word for that part of the anatomy than arm*pits*?), and some prefer women who don't. <BR> <BR>Some women like the feel of smooth skin (my girlfriend does) and will go through the effort of shaving, and others each prefer hair, or just don't find the smooth skin worth the effort. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Book Chick

This time of year especially, any extra hair anywhere is HOT (and I'm talking thermally, as opposed to any other meaning). I can't imagine going through a week without shaving my legs & armpits, especially this time of year. <BR> <BR>This chick just does NOT need the extra feathers! <BR>BC

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:33 PM
Sheila

As a european woman I have no intention of enteringthis debate other than to advise Capo that we HAVE a different word in Scots. <BR> <BR>It's "oxter"

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:42 PM
Capo

Interesting, Shelia...thanks! <BR> <BR>No offense (I hope) but, to my ears, "oxter" sounds about as unappealing as armpit. It sounds to me like a person with a large bovine mammal residing underneath their arm. :~)

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:48 PM
Sarah

&lt;&lt; Shaved armpits decrease BO &gt;&gt; <BR>Not so. I've tried it both ways and I find that having hair traps the sweat, and in fact I smell more when my armpits are totally shaved. <BR> <BR>Sarah

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:03 PM
Oaktown Traveler

A Laugh...how nice! <BR> <BR>Sorry, its HOT in CA. Too hot to go outside and interact with humans so I post on the internet. <BR> <BR>Book Chick said it best! Besides, its just plain ole nasty for women to look and smell like "Big Foot"! <BR> <BR>Sarah: Try Arid XX dry, roll on. It works, its clear and it will not overpower the other fragrances that you may wear. <BR> <BR>Cause its HOT, did I say it was HOT in CA?? I wonder if the shavers and non-shavers are also pedicure/manicure regulars vs. non-pedicue/manicure regulars? <BR> <BR>Oaktown <BR> <BR>p.s. It is un-seasonably HOT in CA. I really want you guys to know that. I am miserable. Sorry(frown)

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:03 PM
Art

Hey Oaktown, are you going to attend the SF fodors GTG? <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:11 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Hey Art! <BR> <BR>I was thinking about it. This weather is a huge factor now. We usually get this in Sept. so we are way ahead of our heat spell. <BR> <BR>No blackouts and if I don't pass out are the other factors. <BR> <BR>Are you going? <BR> <BR>Gotta go get my teen. I'll check here around midnight California time, if they don't black us out. <BR> <BR>Oh, gotta fool the DH ( darling husband) <BR>who thinks I am hooked on this site. So, its midnight. Cross your fingers! <BR> <BR>My Best <BR>Oaktown

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:19 PM
Alby

Interesting thread. I arrived in France in 88 from the USA to live. Like almost all Americans I considered shaving of legs and armpits to be simply the only appropriate grooming for a woman. At that time, maybe 5% of Frenchwomen did not shave their legs. WRT underarms, the percentage might have been 10-15%. <BR> <BR>I felt repelled by it, recognizing, however, that that was just my upbringing and what I had been accustomed to. As time went by, it became no issue. Then I realized that it had become a turn-on. I saw these ladies; who were as educated, as odor-free, and as feminine as any I knew; as sexier due to their definition of femininity as being quite sufficient and proper in the condition God created them in. Perhaps because they had never shaved, their leg hair was silken and, when the novelty wore off, beautiful. <BR>Today I can take it either way; hirsute or shaved. But I leave you with this question: which is more beautiful, the collie or the Mexican hairless???

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:32 PM
beautician

So who likes a 'Brazilian' wax????

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:38 PM
Buyer

Where I come from it's called a "Playboy" wax.... and all I can say is OOOOOUUUUUUCHHHHHH!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:20 PM
Capo

Alby, one could also say that men with facial hair -- beards, mustaches, etc. - are also being quite sufficient and proper in the condition God created them in...and yet I've met many women who much prefer a shaven face on a man. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:42 PM
d

ah, that Brasilian wax! Now that is something - especially in Brasil.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:43 PM
Carmen

You talk about Europe as an homogeneous continent and it's not. Different countries have different habits. In Spain 90% of women don't shave, they wax. Shaving is not common, it's much more popular waxing (it weakens your body hair).

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:45 PM
Art

Remembering back, several German women that I knew did shave their armpits and legs. <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:33 PM
harried

to answer ALL your questions ;o) <BR>I'm a US girl married to a Euro guy 10 yrs and live near Santa Cruz CA where the gals shave about as much as Europeans. Personally, I shave when it starts to bug me. If I'm wearing shorts/dress and the hair is long it gets shaved. I may not shave for months in the winter. I rarely go sleeveless so i shave the pits about 6 times a year. My husband doesn't care one way or the other. AS to the Brasilian wax...here my husband is definitely Euro. No bikini waxes allowed in our house.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:26 AM
Polly

I was born and live in the USA and I rarely shave my body. I hardly ever wear skirts and never wear sleeveless tops so unless the rare occasion happens that I will be swimming in a public pool in the USA I see no reason to waste so much of my life and precious time doing something that lasts so briefly before it needs to be repeated. It's just a waste of time and my husband could care less if I shave or not he says so why should I waste my time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -