Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I just found this incredible summer airfare at....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I have unfairly got your attention, I was hoping we could start a thread where people would post when they find a a really great price to Europe for June-July-August. There have been so many requests lately for assistance with locating a decent airfare.

Please post your finds and where the rest of us can find them! I do watch the cheap flights forum at eurotrip.com and because I am in the NYC area I check http://newyorkairfares.blogspot.com/

It may be early to start this as most sites I've been looking at have been only advertising sales through the end of May. Or maybe there may not be many sales, but just in case you find something good, let us all know!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:41 AM

I think this is a great idea. You are lucky because you have so many more options than those of us who live elsewhere in the country. I think you may be right about it being too early for summer. Last Friday I finally found a flight at a super rate for mid-May. I had been holding off knowing that at least a few good prices would eventually appear as the time I wanted grew closer. See my posting that says something like, "It takes a lot of time and persistence..." Good luck.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:28 AM

I usually have very good luck with Orbitz, even after checking with the airlines themselves and using mobissimo. But what I want to share with everyone is this:

I have been checking for flights from SFO to Zurich for months and when I finially found the price I wanted, I didn't like one of the connections...it was through Dallas with only one hour, BUT there was another flight, same airline leaving SFO one hour earlier, which would give me 2 hours to connect, but this was priced with a different itinery for more $$. I called Orbits and within 10 mins I had a slightly lower price and better connections. I didn't know that I could call and see if they could put a better itinery together for me....
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM

I'm game but I have to tell you I got my tickets in February for a trip to Europe in July at a terrific sale price for First Class which I would ordinarily never spend the money for.

My point is, I hope this thread isn't too late and I would hope people are using at least two or three different sites to search out fares.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Yikes, I'm getting quoted horribly high prices for my trip the last week in Sept. to Rome, leaving from Seattle. Over $1,000 and that's from the consolidator I always use. She said she didn't really anticipate the fares going down much between now and then. She said it's always a gamble and they could in fact go up!! I'm at the point of seriously considering flying out of Vancouver with KLM for $1125. I hate paying this much, but what can I do.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Found two $475+ (with taxes came out to about $550 each) tix for mid-June PHL-CDG on Delta (plane will actually be AF)in mid March on itasoftware, then booked them on Delta site. Orbitz listed this fare, too, but none of the others did.

It disappeared after one day and similar itineraries have hovered between $1000-$1200 ever since.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Barb, I think we discussed this before, but would you consider one of Vancouver's cheap charter options to London? Canadianaffair.com prices in GBP, but has total fares for your late September dates of 345 GBP ($650 USD).

Alternatively, there are fares in the $650 USD range for your dates from SEA-LHR on Air Canada (unbelievably it's cheaper to go from SEA than YVR, even though the SEA-departing people have to change in YVR!).

For almost $500, you might find it worthwhile to spend about $200 total or so on budget flights to/from Italy and Priceline hotel in London.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:07 AM

My Canadian friends have been looking at some of the discount airlines (I gave them the list you very kindly gave me). The concern is always how reliable are these airlines and are they still going to be in business by the time we leave. The consolidator I mentioned, suggested SEA to Toronto to London on Air Canada, but the fare was $1125. We considered flying to London, staying over in a hotel and then fly Easyjet to Rome, but when we figured out the $$ and the time invested and taking away a day of vacation time, I'm not sure the $200 I'd save is worth it. We're still looking. Have you flown CanadianAffair?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Barb, I haven't flown Canadian Affair. However, they've been in business for a good while, and their major partner is Thomas Cook (I think they put people on Thomas Cook flights and possibly one other supplier). You can book the flights directly through thomascook.ca although I think the prices are higher that way.

The fare shouldn't be $1125 on Air Canada, unless you mean all the way to Italy.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Yes, that was through to Rome. I'm going to check out Canadian Affair again - I would LOVE to find a cheaper fare. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM

About 3 weeks ago, I booked a round trip fare of $580 for August travel from LAX - CDG, flying on United with one connection at IAD. I found it on Sidestep, which transferred me to onetravel.com for booking.

For anyone interested, the fare is still available, but now at $600.

Keep hunting!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:34 AM

I should once again mention my SEA-MAD fare for Aug. 17-31, for $458 USD all-in. This may still be available on Orbitz, and it is available for limited other dates in the summer and September. It's on Continental, but booked as Air Europa code share flights.

You may be able to find this for other departure cities, particularly Newark - but there have also been good fares reported from Boston, LAX, and Denver. Also check the AirEuropa.com site (in Spanish) for EWR departures.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM

if you could get cheap fare into spain we have several companies flying into rome from many different cities.
www.vueling.com is one.

and an overnight in one of those cities would be well worth it and not as cumbersome as london..

see www.whichbudget.com to get ALL the low cost airlines from spain to italy.

also try www.rumbo.com for fares. we use them in spain a lot and they seem to come up with a lot of combinations.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:08 AM

I watch the travel slueth on MSNBC.com travel section. From there I was able to find my tickets for June from San Diego to Rome for $225.00. It was a screw up on Iberia Air's website but they honored it.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM

American Airlines, via their website.
NYC-Dublin $298!!!
Depart before May 15, return by May 31
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

From another thread:

Author: Steve_James
Date: 04/08/2005, 05:24 am
Message: Maria - EUROFLY are starting a service between New York and BOLOGNA this summer.
(Bologna-Rome is about 2.5 hours by train).

Their promotional fare starts at € 349 return. Might be worth checking ...

Here's the link:

http://www.eurofly.it/eurofly/portal..._EN/HomePageEN

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Just an FYI: I called EUROFLY about those great rates from NYC/Bologna. The rates of 349Euro are only for flights departing from Italy, not from NYC. Oh well....
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Did you get an English speaker? I tried this am and had problems. Is the 349 E a 1-way fare from Italy? Can you fly from NYC to Italy? Did you get a price quote?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Any cheap (less expensive) fares to Athens or Crete that anyone knows of for June...?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM

AP6380,

If you look at Alba Tours, they have some charter flights from Toronto to Lamezia, and Rome, and Trieste, and other Italian airports.

http://www.albatours.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -