Search

I can't see it all in 6 days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see it all in 6 days

I can use some help with a plan.
My wife and I (late 50's) are sailing back to NYC on the QM2 in July. Certainly, we will have our share of luxury on the ship so I do not need to have upscale accomodations or meals for the prior week.
We're flying into Edinburgh and would like to experience the following:
1) St. Andrews golf (maybe even play nine holes)
2) Visit a distillery for some single malt whisky(no "e" Sheila).
3) Stay in a castle at least one night to experience it.
4) get out of the big city and explore the true Scotland and England.
5) Eat local food as non-commercial as possible.
6) Buy some woolens from a factory or other non-touristy place.
7) Buy some Wedgewood.
8) See Stonehedge
9) Enjoy some of the lake or loch scenery.
and 10) Most importantly, meet the people and talk with them.

Is that too aggressive for six days?

My thought was to spend two nights each (with day trips) at Edinburgh, The Lake District and Bath? Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:17 AM

Hi there, I think it can be done, but then again my sister says that I will do the world in 60 days if allowed. A friend of mine stayed near St Andrews at another golf estate, but they did go and play gold at St Andrews. I suggest that you sign on to www.virtualtourist.com, I have found that you get better responses and a lot quicker that at Fodor's. Enjoy your holiday
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:25 AM

I read your list and was thinking just Scotland until I saw Stonehenge! If I were you, I wouldn't try and cover the length and breadth of the country in 6 days, but instead do 2 days Edinburgh, 2 days Scottish countryside and 2 days Lake District. I'd seriously save the Cotswolds for another/longer trip.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the QM2 though. How exciting! It used to be my dream to cruise to New York from the UK on the QE2 and fly back on Concorde, but I've rather missed the boat on that one!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:28 AM

Yes, too agressive I'm afraid. If you intend to spend 2 days in Edinburgh, the Lake District and Bath, when do you intend to see St. Andrews and explore the true Scotland?

Assuming you are driving, it's about 4 hours from Bath to the Lake District. (Stonehenge is not far from Bath.) And it's another 4 hours from the Lake District to Edinburgh. So, that's basically 1 day of driving just to get where you want to go.

I think you need to reevaluate what you can reasonably accomplish in 6 days.

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:15 AM
JonJon

I think you might want to reevaluate the notion that the "true" England and Scotland don't exist in big cities, too.

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 11:38 AM

Having experienced the horror to get my Boss and his family on St. Andrews...and that was 6 months prior to his trip, I'd suggest you get reserved NOW
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 12:11 PM

My suggestion would be to spend your time in Scotland and then take the train from Edinburgh to London. I could spend six weeks in Scotland and not run out of things to do. If you want to "meet the people and talk with them", you won't be able to do this at the frantic pace you have outlined.

There will be many places where you will want to stop and look "just for a minute", and before you know it, the day has gone and it will have been a wonderful day. Slow down, enjoy Scotland!