Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

i am in desperate need of your expert italian opinion!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 08:26 PM
kim

I am going to Italy for 10 days over Spring Break with my parents. We are flying in and out of Milan. I was going to try to hit all the major spots for them -- Rome, Venice, Florence. <BR><BR>The reason i am trying to fit all of this in is i just got back from italy for a month this summer. i went to florence, rome, venice, and then 2 weeks in tuscany. in tuscany, we saw sienna, assisi, san gimiano, cortona, padua. are there any places in the region besides these that would be worth seeing?<BR><BR>now i am taking my parents back for my spring break which is 10 days. i want to show them the major stuff but i don't want to repeat EVERYTHING i just did. so, since i spent so long in tuscany, i was going to drop that.<BR><BR>so, if the lakes would be too cold in march, what else would you recommend as an addition? we aren't going to do EVERYTHING in the cities. i just want to give them an overview.<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 08:51 PM
Rex

You say you want some places that you didn't see before - - I would say it's Sicily and/or Pompeii. And maybe skip one of the "big three" (or seriously short change Florence, perhaps).<BR><BR>Day 0 - Fly into Milan or Venice. <BR><BR>Day 1 - If Milan, stay one night in Milan, or in Verona (either one is new for you). If you fly into Venice, spend day/night 1 there.<BR><BR>Day 2,3 (and/or 4) - in Venice<BR><BR>Fly to Palermo or Catania<BR><BR>2-3 days in Sicily<BR><BR>Fly Palermo-Naples or Reggio Calabria-Rome.<BR><BR>Final 3-4 days in Rome (depends on whether you flew back into Naples or into Rome). Stay in Catania (see Pompeii) if you fly into Naples. If not, you could steal one day from rome to day trip to Florence.<BR><BR>Fly home from Rome.<BR><BR>The two flights mentioned are $99 perperson on www.europebyair.com<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:58 AM
Rex

topping, for kim...<BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Patrick

The one part I'm unclear about is -- is this the first time to Italy for the parents? If so, the problem is somewhat difficult (but wouldn't most of us like to have the problem of how to spend two trips to Italy in less than a year). I too love Sicily, but I think Rex may be missing the point if it is indeed your parents' first trip to Italy. They need to see Rome, Venice, and Florence more than Sicily or Amalfi, in my opinion.<BR><BR>Each year we are joined by two friends for 2 to 3 weeks in Europe. This is a short segment of a long summer in Europe for us. Each year we select an itinerary with our friends and it is usually mostly major sites where the two of us have been before. Last time it was Rome, Florence, Venice, and areas of Switzerland. Although I used to think I would rather spend my vacation visiting places I haven't been, I have since learned that those 2 or 3 week segments are the most fun of the whole trip. I really enjoy getting to share my favorites with friends. I already have a favorite restaurant to share, or a wonderful hotel, or some little travel tip that I discovered the last time. Do you enjoy reliving your trip by showing and explaining pictures at home to your friends or family? Then think how much greater it is to be doing that in person. Frankly, I'd forget about trying to do new things. Just enjoy the big ones that you enjoyed the most before, but this time take great pleasure in sharing those with your parents. I would have given anything in the world for such an opportunity.<BR>But one small piece of advice, instead of all other places you've been in Tuscany -- Sienna, for example. This time do Verona, if you missed it before. One or two nights there plus the big three will easily take care of your 10 days -- and might they want a little slower pace than you did on your own? Since you are flying in and out of Milan, you might actually add one night there either when you arrive or depart, depending on your time connections. Just seeing the Last Supper and the cathedral and a walk through the spectacular galleria (the first local mall?) would be very impressive to any but the most jaded of travelers.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:38 AM
Rex

To Patrick:<BR><BR>Partly different interpretations, partly an honest disagreement on priorities, perhaps.<BR><BR>I think that kim can share her enthusiasm for DISCOVERing Italy by taking them some places she knows little or nothing about - - and let them see how much fun it can be to "figure out" a new place.<BR><BR>And the honest disagreement is over one place being more "important" to see "first" than others. On the Fodorites' trip (which started out - - at least mentally - - as more of a "slowtrav" trip - - and still ended up with a week in a villa on Lake Garda), I struggled with how much new, how much familiar (to me). And so, they didn't see Assisi, or Pompeii or Bellagio. But we did go to Trento, and to Sirmione (and yes, Verona - - at least we agree on that one!).<BR><BR>You can't see it all - - and I was trying to add some adventure - - and the climate advantage(s) of heading further south (they are traveling in March, after all). I also wanted to point out that you can really mix this up affordably by flying. Train isn't the only way to skin this cat.<BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Patrick

OK, Rex, I don't disagree with you. Guess maybe I'm reading far too much into this one. I'm imagining Kim taking her parents who have never been to Italy and will probably never be going again. If this is the case, and it certainly may not be, then I agree with you. Even you used the term "first". But if it is the case, I just feel the average "parent" on a once in a lifetime trip should see Rome, Venice, and (although far from my favorite) Florence rather than the other places. Guess I'm thinking more of this being a trip for the parents rather than a trip for Kim, and Kim's "job" being to help her parents enjoy their trip to the fullest. My parents never went to Europe (and never will) so I'm putting myself in this situation thinking if I could have taken them to Italy -- it would definitely have been to the big three, not the other very exciting places. On the other hand, I suspect that if Kim has been twice in one year she is going to make many more returns to Italy so there are many opportunities for her to enjoy those other places next time.<BR>Now, Kim, go ahead and tell us the truth. Maybe your parents have been before and will go again, I don't know.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:20 AM
Rex

I guess we could digress this whole thread into a discussion of what it means that someone "should see" X or Y or Z - - especially those really world-class "famous", highly photographed places. Is it any "better" to "see" the Tower of Pisa or Neuschwanstein? I choose those two because they are so often used in marketing materials for Europe travel. A traveler does get SOMEthing out of seeing either in person - - but ultimately, I don't really remember either one in any way better than the picture postcard image. Oh, I remember the kids clowning around on the Campo dei Miracoli, taking those funny "holding it up" photos. And I certainly remember standing in line for 45 minutes at Neuschwanstein (arriving at 8:30) - - and the TWO HOUR lines there when we came back out - - the postcards sure don't show you that.<BR><BR>Of course, neither of these two really fit in with a discussion of destinations that clearly are NOT a one-note song. Pisa (even with the Duomo, etc) is not to be confused with Rome, Venice or Florence. I just feel like part of exploring Italy (or France, or Germany) is to go someplace you really don't/didn't know much about until you start(ed) planning the trip. So much of it depends on expectations and familiarity BEFORE the "discovery" process begins. I'm assuming that kim's parents have seen all her pictures, and heard a lot about Italy. When I took my mother- and father-in-law to Italy last May (first time and last time ever), they essentially knew nothing of Assisi, even though they are Catholic and there is a Franciscan monastery five miles from their house (and they contribute there substantially). So this was more than enough "off the beaten path" for them.<BR><BR>Verona might scratch some of that itch for kim's parents. Sicily might do it better. Only she and they know.<BR><BR>And maybe it boils down to this: I want to go to Sicily MYSELF!!<BR><BR>LOL...<BR>

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:00 PM
kim

Ok. Thanks for all of your help! I thought I would give a few more details in hopes of clearing up a few things before you respond again. <BR><BR>This is the first time my parents will be there and they plan on going again (they are only 50) but it will probably be a while. They have been to Europe countless time so Italy is just new to them. I am 22 and hope to go back as well so I want to show them a lot. <BR><BR>I do think it is fun to show them the things I have seen. I am very excited to do so. I also understand "discovering" the area ourselves. My parents do like to see the things that everyone has seen, just to say we did. That is why I planned on taking them to the big three, right or not, although I really didn't enjoy Venice that much.<BR><BR>So. Knowing these things, anything to add.<BR><BR>Oh yah -- we will spend that last night in Milan before we fly out to calm my dad's nerves.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:47 PM
Italiana

Assisi and Padova are NOT in Tuscany.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:06 PM
Patrick

You are right, of course, Italiana. I guess that the name Tuscany has become so popular with Americans and others that often people now use the term to encompass a much larger area. A couple of years a go I bought a guide book that on the front simply said "Tuscany", yet nearly a third of the book covered Umbria instead. Nowhere on the front did it even mention Umbria. Guess they figured they'd sell more books called Tuscany that one that said Tuscany and Umbria?<BR>But I suppose many of us become guilty of not being very geographically accurate. Sort of like the very recent posts that kept combining Cote d'Azur and Provence -- actually two different areas, but often overlapped or even confused in posts.<BR><BR>Thanks for the additional information kim. Let us know what your plans are and report back when you return!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:10 PM
xxx

10 nights for visiting Venice, Florence and Rome sounds just about right to me. Say you manage to "short change" your parents, chopping off a night in Venice and another one in Florence or Rome. Verona would also be my choice for at least one night. The second one could be Orvieto or even Lucca if you haven't been yet.