I Am Going to Paris

Search

I Am Going to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Am Going to Paris

I am going to Paris. Excuse me for a moment . . .

(Shrieking, jumping, flailing arms and legs about, turning a flip - uh, that last was an exaggeration - but really, really wanting to turn a flip!)

Me and 2 other women will be going to Paris for 4 days the first week of May. We are looking for a hotel that can accommodate 3 people in one room for $350 or less per night. We prefer the 6 or 7 arrondissement, but since this is our first time, we are wide open for suggestions.

Two members of this group have never traveled internationally before (I have) and none of us speak French beyond the most basic of phrases. The trip is a gift from another family member who will be adored into eternity (and hated by the other men who feel very one-upped).

I have researched the Europe forum and there are a number of recommendations for apartments. However, we do not want to stay in an apartment for this trip because we want access to people who can give us advice and interact with us such as the staff of a hotel.

We have varied interests - one may want to spend time strolling around with her camera; one may want to shop 'til she drops; and me, I want to immerse myself in the museums. None of us are true foodies - sidewalk cafes and simple foods for us but we want to experience Paris as much as we can in 5 days.

I welcome any suggestions to make our trip unforgettable and if you have any recommendations for hotels, please share. Like most people, we would not turn down a little bit of luxury, but our preference is for immaculate rooms (no matter the size) and space for 3 women (ages 40 and 50 something).

Thank you so much.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:31 PM

I'll think more... need to get to bed now.

What about Citidines ? I don't know if they have any in the 6th or 7th, but you have the benefit of hotel + the kitchenette of an apartment ?

I've heard good things about Hotel Valadon.
http://www.hotelvaladon.com/

I think they have a triple. However, there was a rumor going around that Victor and Maria have moved or sold...
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 05:56 AM

In addition to here, SlowTrav.com http://www.slowtrav.com/ has hotel reviews and connections. And here are reviews on some Paris hotels: http://www.slowtrav.com/france/hotels/list.asp?r=Paris

Also, TripAdvisor.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/ is very good with reviews.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:21 AM

<<We have varied interests - one may want to spend time strolling around with her camera; one may want to shop 'til she drops; and me, I want to immerse myself in the museums.>>

Agree before you go that you will be able to follow your own interests -- there's nothing worse than being with someone (in a museum, for example) who wants to be somewhere else. You can split up for a few hours and meet for lunch or dinner.

I've stayed in hotels in Paris many times but never in a triple room. Perhaps you could do a search "triple room, Paris" both on this forum and on google.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:33 AM

There are threads here on trples, so happy hunting.

I've been on trips where I was the guide. It can sometimes become the guided's trip, so I'd make sure to pre-trip to go over the Metro and RER system, get them maps, buy them a carnet, co-ordinate phones if bringing them.

The flip side is where they go everywhere you want to go, not feeling comfortable enough to be on their own. Not fair for either party.

I've been tour guide a few times

There are some good english walking tours from Paris Walks. You could do one together in the morning, have lunch together then split. I'd also recommend doing a nighttime Seine river cruise.

Four days...is that four days available..or four days including landing and departing days?
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
tod

Three women in a hotel room is going to be a tight squeeze - someone will have to take the roll-away bed which is not as comfortable as a normal twin bed. I took a single and my friends decided to squash into one double room at the Hotel Duquesne in the 7th. Lovely view of Eiffel Tower as they had a corner 4th floor room and I was right next door.
I'm a fairly neat person and could hardly bare to look at the chaos of three women living on top of oneanother!
I hope you find a nice size room.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM

There is a triple in the Hôtel Duquesne too, number 54 I believe. Has a nice view of the Tour Eiffel. Friends of mine have stayed there quite a few times (I've opted for a single on the 4th floor below them). It should be within your budget.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:47 AM

There are many hotels that offer triple rooms. If you book a triple, there will be space for 3 adults, and a "roll-away" bed is usually not needed (at least in the triple rooms I've seen, there were 3 regular twin beds or a double and a twin).
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM

Lois-you ladies are going to have a ball! I am a little like each of you. I love to take photos, I LOVE to shop, and I love museums. But I can get over-loaded on museums. I am not a foodie at all. I like crepes right from the stands on the streets, sandwiches from a bakery, and of course the macaroons from Laduree's. And I never pass up ice cream! I also eat pasta, and it is easy to find an Italian restaurant.

I have stayed several times at a hotel in the 6th which was recommended on this forum by Ira. Hotel Bonaparte. They do have triples. And I think their prices on line include breakfast, but they will deduct if you do not take breakfast. I think it was 5€ last June. There is good shopping near by and a Monoprix for groceries and snacks.

We walked to the Louvre right past a Laduree's. Well, I didn't pass it up, but straight on across the river to the Louvre. We even walked all the way to the Eiffel Tower. I do not recommend this. My son wanted to do that, but we took the metro back.

There are metro stops and bus stops within feet of this hotel. The staff at the desk speak English and will tell you the bus or metro number to you destination.
www.hotelbonaparte.fr
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

You might look at des Marroniers on rue Jacob in the 6th'

http://www.hoteldes2continents.com/h...nts_paris.html

The street is convenient for museums, great shopping and lots of cafes and restaurants. They metro ( St Germain des Pres) is closeby and there are buses along the Blvd SG and the quais
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:37 AM

How exciting -- congratulations!

Here is a great thread about hotels on the Left Bank: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

Are you sure you want a triple? You might want to consider a double and single (perhaps adjoining) which would give you the advantage of two bathrooms.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:28 AM

<<Are you sure you want a triple? You might want to consider a double and single (perhaps adjoining) which would give you the advantage of two bathrooms.>>

I was thinking the same. Three women -- one bathroom, and I'm also not sure you'll find a triple with three singles beds.
Booking a double and a single will give you many more options and I think you can find something in your range.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM

Agree about adjoining rooms. 2 baths, a getaway in case someone snores (who knew?)!

We stayed in a charming place near Arc de Triomphe some years ago call Le Ceramic. I don't know about its prices now, but it was a sweet place and very convenient to metro.

Have a great time. Would your family member like to adopt a nice girl?!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:47 AM

ps-they have a triple and a quadruple at what look like good rates. We took the Etoile metro as well as one they suggest at the site. Elysee Ceramic is full name.

http://www.ceramic-paris-hotel.com/english/rooms_2.html
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM

I'm losing it! I posted the link for deux continents hotel and put des Marroniers in to post. The 2 continents is the one with triples. They are right next to each other
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:07 AM

the Muguet also has a triple.
Three travelling together. Make your plans and be sure everyone buys into them. You don't have a whole lot of time, so getting started early might be part of the plan. Everyone needs to be ready--just like the tour bus. Be on time.
I see I may be repeating Michel's advice, but it is important.
You would be well served to try to get Michael Osman for at least a day. He would truly maximize your time, show you things that even return Paris visitors haven't done/seen. And a day in the museums with him--if you are doing the museums.
I like the DK Eyewitness Guide to Paris for showing me things that are in "one area" --so I can spend time in one area, and then move on to another. For best info, I like the Michelin Green Guide--especially for the Louvre. ANd be aware that not all parts of the Louvre are open all the time--I had my sights set on one gallery in particular and it was closed that day.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:55 AM

I agree that you can find a triple that has 3 twin beds; even my favorite little budget hotel, Hotel du Lys, has them.

Someone above mentioned Hotel des Marronniers, and it is a favorite of mine, also, but some of the rooms and bathrooms are miniscule; cannot imagine three women in them, but I have not seen the triples there. But rue Jacob is a wonderful location; I'd look into the Millesime or Danube and see what they have to offer for triples. Also Hotel le Regent on rue Dauphine. www.hotel-regent.com
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:57 AM

Whoops--wrong site for Hotel le Regent-sorry!
www.hotelleregent.com
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM

$350 USD is about 247 Euros, so each of you could get a single 80-Euro hotel room. That would be my preference, rather than sharing a Parisian triple.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:48 AM

Le Ceramic looks very nice. TDudette, I'm going to keep that one in mind. Oh, I wish I were heading to Paris in the near future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -