Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am Basque and will be visiting the Basque regions

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 01:38 PM
Vicencia

I am planning a trip to France and Spain towards the end of this month. I will be flying into Toulouse and renting a car. I will be staying one night in Lourdes and three in Pamplona. I will have 10 days to explore the Pyrenees before I need to get back to Toulouse. I was considering driving across the Spanish Pyrenees from Pamplona to Barcelona, then up the coast into France. Any suggestions or reccomendations would be appreciated. Also, is my time frame realistic for this trip?

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 05:14 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Vicencia, I have done this same route and suggest you not miss the loop that
goes up into the hills above Pamplona
to St. Jean Pied du Port, over to St Jean du Luz and then down to San Sebastian---this is the real basque country and San Seb. is fabulous---worth
3 days. You will love it.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 05:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Vicencia, I have done this same route and suggest you not miss the loop that
goes up into the hills above Pamplona
to St. Jean Pied du Port, over to St Jean du Luz and then down to San Sebastian---this is the real basque country and San Seb. is fabulous---worth
3 days. You will love it.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 11:21 PM
Martha B

I second Bob's suggestion of St. Jean Pied du Port. Make sure you get to the part of the town inside the Vauban fort. In that general area, we stayed at the two-star Hotel du Pont d'Enfer in Bidarry, which I believe is listed in Fodor's Hotels of Charm guide. The nearby town of Saint-Etienne-de-Biagorry is a beautiful, typical Basque town. The three star Hotel ArcÚ there, listed in the same guide, looks very nice as well. This area is greener and more picturesque than the eastern side of the Pyrenees.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 01:07 AM
Vicencia

Bob, I have recently just found this sight and have been browsing through for a couple of days. I wanted you to know I love your title "the navigator", it is very appropriate for you. Thank you for the suggestions, I will check out the loop.

Martha B. Thank you for responding and thanks for the hotel tips.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 08:01 PM
steve

sound like a nice trip Vicencia. i too just found this website. i will driving from barcelona to san sebastian
after a week in milan and perugia ,italy
Bob's trip sound doable as friends of mine has suggested the same.
Bob or..anybody can ypou recommend a good place to sample basque food and have any info on hotel londres y inglaterra. i may take a day trip to bordeuax or pau from san sebastian to see tour de france any ideas?