Reload this Page >

I am baffled by people's reaction to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:50 AM
dln

There have been several postings in the last few days about Paris. No matter what the nature of the post--complimentary or not--the mere mention of "Paris" seems to provoke the most volatile of reactions. Fierce defenders, fierce detractors. Has this always been the case on this board? Or is this a fairly new phenomenon?

I am well aware of that old saw, "Parisians are rude." I've always put it into that same category as other national stereotypes that might prove true for a certain individual person on a certain day, but a generalization otherwise.

Yet in the case of Paris, there are people who are so anxious to show that it is true, every day, every time, for every person. This does not happen with other European cities. Hardly anyone posts something like "Yes! It's true! Londoners are cold fish!"

I am perplexed not by Paris but by the things people say about it.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trolls. Most likely never been to Paris. No different than a talk show host praising Hitler to get a rise out of people.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:03 AM

People say the same things about New York. Seriously. So maybe we're not so far form Parisians. Let me explain.

As a New Yorker (now living in Europe), I'll tell you this:

I HATE TOURISTS.

I don't care where they are from, whether they speak English, or the policies of their nations. I want them to get out of the middle of the sidewalk craning their necks looking up at tall buildings. I want them not to stop me to ask a question when it's 9:01 and I am already late for work and it's 90 degrees and I'm in a suit and they are in shorts and T-shirts.

And that, I'm sure, is how Parisians feel. If they're "rude" it's beacsue they don't want to be bothered, because they are in a rush to get somewhere, beacuse they live in freaking Paris and could care less about your needs. I'm always surprised at how nice they are to me because I know exactly how I feel on the other end.

I think the people who find these types of people to be rude don't realize how different city people are--even in diffrent cities. When I went to New Orleans, I was shocked when a person on the street just said hello to me. Why would he do that? I thought he must be stalking me, until elderly ladies all greeted me too. I don't smile or say hello to strangers when I'm, just walking down the street--in NYC, that's just dumb. But I think a lot of Americans expect that to happen (my Mom does). It won't.

It doesn't mean they hate you, it's not they are rude, they don't care about what country you are from, they just want to get on with their life.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:10 AM

Take it easy allovereurope and speak for yourself. I live in Chicago and love tourists. I feel very fortunate that I live in a city that people actually want to visit. As a matter of fact, I feel it is very important to show hospitality. I like when they ask me questions and hope I can be of help. I would want them to leave our great city with a positive opinion.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Whoa.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:16 AM
dln

See! This is what I mean! London, Prague, Barcelona do not attract this kind of passion.

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:26 AM

I feel it is important to show hospitality too, and I have always tried to do so and answered questions ot the best of ability when asked. But did it try my patience? Did I come home and bitch to my SO about how I was late because a whole busload of tourists were in my way so I missed a train? Yes.

Paris gets more heavy, year-roubnd tourism than NYC, so I'm saying I can just imagine how the Parisians feel. That's why I think they're all so nice. I can't believe they don't just ignore me.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:09 AM

golly gee allovereurope, maybe you should move elsewhere - if you don't want to deal with tourists don't live somewhere that is heavily touristed (doh!) - maybe Rome?

"...I thought he must be stalking me..." ohh reeealllly?

thanks for the laugh....

As for the original post - yes there is fierce debate about Paris - some people here think it's better than heaven, others think it's the lowest ring in hell. While I think Paris is beautiful and has lots to offer, I find the treacle rants and raves a bit delusional.....
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM

What provokes heated debate among people interests me. I recall that the most mail that Ann Landers ever received on a single topic during the decades she wrote her advice column was over the debate of whether the toilet paper should roll over or under on the spool. And, I've read posts here where some people get pretty steamed up over (seemingly) the most inconsequential things.

Dori, I'm with you on liking tourists in Chicago. I live downtown and am stopped at least once a day for directions, restaurant suggestions, etc. It's fun to offer ideas.

Having said that, I loved Paris and hope to visit again, but have no interest in debating with someone who doesn't care for the city. To each his/her own.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:26 AM

dln, does that stand for darlin?

I have to jump in here for a quick defense of NYC. Paris can take care of itself but for allovereurope to bring NYC into his/her stereotypical rant, I feel I must disagree.
I think the "rude,obnoxious NYer" is similar to the "rude Parisian"..Rude can be found anywhere in the World, NYC and Paris don't corner the market on this rudeness, I have seen it in small towns in the South, LA, Canada, England, wherever there are people, there will be rude people.
allovereuropes problem seems to be just plain old Crankiness!
"Don't talk to me!!"
"Don't stand there!"
" Why are you having fun in your tee shirt and I have to work?"
This has nothing to do with tourists, this has a lot to do with a cranky person shouting Bah Humbug!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:34 AM

New Yorkers tend to be unpleasent more often, because they live in NY.

There are some very nice things in NY, but the city needs those things just to be barely livable.

Keith
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM
dln

Keith, we can't start a discussion about NYC because then we'll have to hoist ourselves over to the US board. Me especially since that is my birthplace many year ago and I am very fond of it!

(Scarlett, to my darlin' husband, the "d" really is darlin'. )

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Actually, I don't live in NY anymore.

I was trying to defend Parisians, I guess you just think of me as a cranky old man now. Oh well. I'm actually a young woman. Who lives in Europe. And helps tourists every day. Gladly. Because I have the time. I didn't then.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Allovereurope, I must ask: Do you ever tour other cities? If you do, do you hate yourself or is it only OTHER tourist????
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:04 AM

allovereurope just needs to leave for work a little earlier so giving advice to tourists doesn't make her late.

I live in Philly, and I love to see tourists and help them out. I know that their visits are good for our economy. Also, I love my city, and I want others to love it, too. Finally, I know what it's like to be a tourist and how much I appreciate it when the locals are friendly and kind.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Are you reading what I'm writing? I'm saying that when a resident, I hate other tourists who get in my way. But I know that when I am a tourist I'm bothering them the same way! Apparently I am not very good at communicating subtleties via text...I was just trying to say that putting oneself in the other perons's (Parisians) shoes is a good way to start. Just forget I said anything because it's clearly not being taken in the way that I meant it.

Please just forget I said anything. I would delete all these posts if I could.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:13 AM

My first trip to NYC I found the natives to be surprisingly friendly and helpful.

I have also found Londoners to be most helpful once one peirces the big-city sheild. I once had a man dressed in a fine business suit and carrying a briefcase chase me at least half a block in a terrific crowd through the Tower Hill Tube station to return a lens hood that he's seen fall from my camera.

Parisians unfortunately lived down to their reputation.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:21 AM

allovereurope - take a taxi
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:24 AM

I am baffled why people can't post their opinions about a trip they took without someone jumping down their throat and calling them an "amateur".
People should be able to post the good and the BAD...that is what makes this interesting. I know seasoned travelers who dislike Paris and Parisians. I know seasoned travelers who love Paris and Parisians. It is all a matter of individual opinion.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:28 AM
jor

I think the right-wingers have invaded this board now that Bush is looking more like he was bluffing. France might be justified about their views.
Don't blame the whistle-blowers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -