Reload this Page >

Hydrofoil - Budapest to Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:36 PM
Don Little

I am thinking of taking a hydrofoil from Budapest to Vienna in April for sightseeing purposes. I have taken hydrofoils before from Hong Kong and enjoyed them, but have shortly given up sightseeing and just read the paper because I was in an enclosed cabin and the boat was going too fast. What is the Danube Hydrofoil like, and should I take it for the scenery or skip it and just take the train? Any comments will be appreciated.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:14 AM
anniel

I wanted to take the hydrofoil too when I went to Budapest, but was told that the hydrofoil travelled fast and the cabin is enclosed so that sightseeing was not an option. I took the train.. I will wait to hear what others say with interest.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:27 PM
eva

I1m a Hungarian tourguide.DoNOT use the THe hydrofoil.It is narrow,you have to sit,it is not allowed to stand,it is very fast so practically you can't see anything or take a photo.Between Vienna and Budapest there is a Slovakian territory,and and thereis a damm where sometimes the hydrofoil has to wait hours.Some years ago I had Japanese groups coming from Vienna by hydrofoil,and I was waiting 4 hours at the pier.Best option is train,fastest ones only take 3 hours.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Nancy

To reinforce the previous posting, DO NOT TAKE THE HYDROFOIL. Several years ago my husband and I did just that and were very unhappy with our decision. The trip is long, you don't see much, and you can spend a great deal of time going through the locks. Takek the train instead. You'll be in Vienna much faster and in a better frame of mind. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Rex

to the top for Judi <BR> <BR>Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum! <BR>