Reload this Page >

Husband says I can't wear shorts in Paris in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:49 PM
lisa

But I'm not sure if I believe him since he said the same thing about Spain and turned out to be wrong. Then again, I don't want to look hopelessly out of place. Any thoughts?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:51 PM
LaFemme

I think you husband is right this time.<BR>I think you will look out of place.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:53 PM
louise

Yes, he is right, I believe. I remember seeing men (mostly young) in shorts in Paris but NO women. Wear a nice lightweight knee length skirt instead. It's is just as comfortable, in my opinion

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:58 PM
elvira

If you are 18 or under, you can wear shorts in Paris. Other than that, you will look out of place.<BR><BR>Take it from a desert dweller (our summers hit 115 most days), a loose skirt is even cooler than a pair of shorts - and you don't have to worry about changing to go to a nice restaurant. And your thighs never have to touch the metro seats....

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:18 PM
LaFemme

ick ick, those sticky metro seats------

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:20 PM
antisnob

Weare whatever you damn well want.<BR><BR>And gets some scrumptious ribs whiles yahs ats it!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:18 PM
sana

Two years ago I have worn shorts on a couple of occasions (hot days in July) and felt very comfortable. I would not wear anything though, a skirt that is tight or short, short shorts or revealing tops if I felt uncomfortable or did not like what I look like in those clothes clothes. If you are fit and look great in shorts , wear them. Just try to use your best judgement.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:22 PM
nufsaid

Do you think he might be saying that because he would like to see you in some nice clothes for a change? Or perhaps he is tired of you always looking like the goofy tourist? What's so great about shorts, anyway? Even when I was a kid and traveled in Europe I knew better then to wear shorts in the big cities. You can wear shorts any time you want at home, don't you want to dress up a little for Paris? I will never understand the penchant among Americans to dress like slobs and call it comfortable. You will look "hopelessly out of place" in shorts.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:13 PM
sana

Lisa,if the only shorts you own are "goofy tourist" looking shorts, by all means, follow the above poster advice and "dress up for Paris".

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:34 AM
honey

You can wear whatever you want and it really doesn't matter, especially if you'll be where all the other tourists are, who will also be wearing shorts, sneakers, jeans, whatever. A lot of places don't have good a/c, so if it's hot and you want to be comfortable, wear shorts. If you absolutely don't want to look like a tourist, then wear something else. Keep in mind that Paris is overrun with tourists during the summer and lots of them will be wearing shorts.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:46 AM
robdaddy

There is another consideration: Notre Dame and most other cathedrals and major churches require that womens shoulders be covered...I don't think you'd be allowed in wearing shorts. Exposed midriffs are a no-no, as well. Last May, I saw a young pop-tart turned away from ND because she had on some low rider capri pants and a tube top. (The cathedral is named for the Madonna, but not THAT Madonna).

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:24 AM
EP

Of course you can wear whatever you want, but shorts in any city are out of place. In Spain Costa del Sol area (and the rest of the shoreline) is more like a beach area, so shorts are just fine. But also there towns are towns, and shorts are not proper dressing for towns. Elvira is right. Wear a loose skirt, it is far cooler and definitely looks better in a city.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Andrea

I'm American, and I lived in Paris in my early 20's. My (very proper, middle aged French female) boss one time saw me on the weekend in shorts (I was on my way to Bois with some friends). The next day, she pulled me aside, and said, regarding the shorts, very politely (please excuse the HORRIBLE grammar/spelling): "Andrea, ca ce fait pas. Soit, ca fait un peu touriste, soit un peu . . . " This was accompanied by a look that very clearly said "woman of the night".<BR><BR>(Thus: "Andrea, it just ISN'T DONE. You'll either look like a tourist, or . . . ")<BR><BR>I just loved that though . . . ca fait un peu touriste . . .

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:23 AM
lisa

Well, I was afraid my (legitimate) question would elicit some not-so-serious answers. Thanks to those who offered serious advice. To answer your questions, no I don't wear "goofy tourist shorts," nor do I wear tank tops, tight shorts or midrif-baring items. Those days (alas) are over. My husband is basing his advice on his business travel throughout Europe almost 10 years ago. Even he admitted that he was wrong about Spain (and wished he'd brought shorts!). Thanks again for your replies!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:30 AM
elaine

lisa<BR>YOu will get there and see women and men in shorts, and they will be either "kids" or visitors.<BR>Of course wear what you like, but if you like looking a little<BR>more chic, especially in Paris, then<BR>perhaps not shorts.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Confucius

Confucius say:<BR><BR>Man who tell wife no wear shorts, maybe no like to see wife's knees.<BR><BR>Wife keep knees together. Man keep opinions to himself.<BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:31 AM
xxx

I for one do not care what other people are wearing and have a hard time imagining that you would draw shocked stares if you wear shorts. Of course, your husband does seem to care, so I think it depends entirely on how much you care about what he thinks. As far as other people go, my advice is nobody will care as much as some of the people on this forum.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:22 AM
jay

I agree with the last poster. No one will really care. I've been to Paris many times and worn whatever I would wear at home. There are so many different types of people in Paris that IMO, no one really stands out. If you're planning on dining in nicer restaurants or shopping in upscale stores, you might want to look nicer for better service (the same applies anywhere). You sound like you have good judgement and don't need people telling you what's proper and what's not. The people that make such a big deal about this are probably the same ones that say you can't wear jeans and sneakers in Europe.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:08 AM
x

When you write on these boards and ask for advice, I do not understand why you would then tell the people giving it that they are wrong.<BR>Wear whatever makes you happy and when you are there you will see who was right.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Geez

The collective advice is that if you wear shorts you will be, eeeek, mistaken for a tourist. I have a little secret for you: Even if you dress up, you still will be pegged as a tourist (a tourist trying to pose as a Parisian). So if it comes down to being comfortable or posing, I'd choose the former. But it is your choice. Remember, too, that we sure don't jump all over Europeans, Asians, or others who wear their normal garb in the US. Viva la difference (or something like that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -