Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hungary/Czech Rep.: what appart the capitals?

Oct 20th, 2000, 06:20 AM
jim

We are thinking on a trip to Central Europe, visiting specially Prague, Vienna and Budapest. But we would like to know which other places are worth a visit -a day trip, or maybe a journey for a couple of days, if they are very far from the capitals- in the Czech Republic and Hungary, or maybe in the surrounding area of Austria and Slovakia.

Oct 20th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Art

Hi Jim
all are beautiful cities although my favorate is Budapest. There are many 1 or 2 day trips that you could take, a couple follow:
In Prague Cesky Krumlov

In Budapest Lake Balaton

Oct 20th, 2000, 02:24 PM
ari

Instead of taking the usual motorway road between Budapest and Vienna, it is worth to make a stop in the town of Sopron. The Danube bend towns are beautiful as well (Visegrad, Esztergom...).

Oct 21st, 2000, 01:17 AM
anne

have you thought about visiting Melk, on the road Vienna-St. Polten? It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Oct 21st, 2000, 01:54 AM
Carlos Alba

I live in Prague and think you shouldŽnt miss Karlovy Vary. It is a spa town 2 hours from Prague, elegant buildings from the end and beginning of the century with an unforgettable "belle
epoque" atmosphere. You wonŽt regret it.

Oct 21st, 2000, 07:36 PM
Alice the Magyar

Oh I wish I were going with you all, at least to Budapest. I loved it there so much. It depends when you are going if you can go ride down the River Danube. It is very easy to go outside of Budapest which you will not want to miss Szentendre, I believe is how you spell it is a beautiful little town. YOu must also go to Castle Hill, Wow it is so neat. oh there is Vaci Utca in the center Budapest. It is a vendor zone, but so much to be had there also. Transportion is fantastic. Don't bother with the Taxi's. When Are you going? I am returning there in May or June of 2001. I hope to go to Prague at that time too. Budapest is very safe, I am a female mid 40's, I am married, but I travel alone it is great!!

Oct 22nd, 2000, 03:08 AM
jim

Well, when to go could be a good question, as well. It'll be next year, 2001, but I have the luck to choice when I want to take holidays, so, I've been thinking sometime between April and June. I've thought that Central Europe is very cold in winter and the beginning of spring, but that Hungary can be extremely warm in July and August. Which would be the good time to make the trip?

Oct 22nd, 2000, 11:40 AM
josef

Do not go very soon if you don't want to be cold. More than once it has snowed here in the Czech Republic, and it is true that for August it can be warm souther, but June might be OK, or maybe you should begin making a week in Hungary and the next in the Czech Republic, so that the weather will get warmer.