Hungary

Feb 22nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Hungary

I am also going to Hungary and would love to hear from people about where to go, some nice out of the way places to would be nice and some restaurant finds. Also little villages-anything of note;also where to stay both in budapest and out thanks
Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:34 PM

The following are fairly out of the way, and very nice
Sopron. walled medieval and baroque town, with excursuons to fine princely paaces at NagyCenk and Fertod St Michael
Gyor: busy baroque town on the Old Danube
Eger: beautiful baroque town with good town square and renaissance observatory
Sarospatak: Large and romantic castle
Debrecen; A surprise, an active and historic Protestant college and city
Veszprem: small, with a medieval high street closely connected to early kings
Szombathely and Koszeg: Baroque large town and little walled town
Keszthely: Summer only. Relaxed and delightful lakeside resort, with two good museums and beautiful girls.
Szeged: Not at all old, just 120 years, but built with confidence at the height of the Hungarian Franz Josephs Age. Good start point for an excursion to handsome and cheap Novy Sad in Serbia: visa at the frontier for 7 euros.

[email protected]
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:37 PM

Gyor, a city suggested by Mr. Haines, is on the road between Budapest and Vienna so it is convenient to stop there. I enjoyed a visit to Gyor. I found Gyor to be interesting for it's architecture but I don't know of anything else to see.

I was expecting a motorway between the two large cities but it is a 2 lane road with many trucks. Some portions are 4 lanes like a motorway.
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:41 PM

Do you like wine? Hungary is very much interested now in promoting their 22 wine regions. We visited Eger and Tokaj a year ago - very clean guest homes with great breakfast so I learned to love green-peppers-on-bread; veryu reasonable tastings, nice people, but many have no English or German, though, so you may want a translator when you're off the beaten track. In Budapest, visit the Gellert for its baths. Quite an experience if no one there speaks English, either.
Oct 9th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Arlene

topping for more ideas