Reload this Page >

Hungarian music in Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:39 PM
BillJ

I am not an afficionado, and not sure what I'm talking about, but I love to hear what I believe is Hungarian or "Gypsy" music. Sometimes a haunting violin, other times lively. If I am in Budapest next summer, where do I go to hear this. I have read Fodor's and Michelin, and I'm not sure. Are there concerts, or clubs, or street music? Can anyone help? Thanks, mucho.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Art

Gypsy and Hungarian music are different things. When I was in Budapest I heard several Gypsies playing music in sever areas bit the best I heard was on Castle hill where a young woman was playing some beautiful Guitar music and area around Deak Ter where I listened to some Gypsies playing violins. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:24 PM
eva

Do not tell Hungarians, that Gipsy music is Hungarian.Completely different.There are some fantastic musicians,my favorite one is in restaurant Mátyás pince,in the city center.There is a special 100 members gipsy band,only best musicians playing in it,but they perform only on concerts

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:33 PM
topper

to the top

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Kathy

I am Hungarian and was recently there on a trip. If you are going in the summer, the Margit Sziget (Margaret Island in Budapest) has cultural shows during the summer (I was there the end of June and they had traditional music and dances out in the open on the island). ALSO, you definitely want to visit the Fisherman's Bastion (Halaszbastya) in the evening and in the daytime. During the day, you will find traditionally dressed men playing the zither. In the evenings, in the restaurants there, you will find violin music. It's a lovely view of the Danube as well! Finally, you will want to visit Vaci Utca (Vaci Street), the "trendy" shopping district. They tend to have people handing out pamphlets for shows featuring Hungarian dancing, music, etc. Hope I've helped!!! ENJOY!!! I SURE DID!!!

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 04:27 PM
BillJ

Thanks Kathy (and topper) I will be there (I hope) next June or so. I appreciate your info.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:23 AM
liz

Have been to Budapest 5 times and have family there. Here are a couple of suggestions for gypsy music over dinner. Believe it or not there is a restaurant in the Marriott hotel in Budapest called Czarda. They have pretty good food and music. There is also a wonderful place called Magnas Kert which is up in the Buda Hills. Sort of Nouveau Hungarian cuisine with a wonderful gypsy group. Enjoy. I absolutely adore the city and I think it is the most beautiful place at night. Let me know if I can help you further.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Nance

Hi, when we visited Budapest I found a lot of fliers listing the current musical concerts. On the day of the concert in a Palace, I think Duma, we obtained tickets and enjoyed a lovely musical show. The type of music is listed on the fliers which are usually in hotel lobbies, or ask at the desk.