How's Venice in December?

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 05:30 PM
MarkJ

How's Venice in December?

My wife and I are thinking about going to Venice Dec. 2000 for Christmas. Have any of you Fodorites been in Venice during Christmas? If so how did you like it? One of our concerns is that many things will be closed at that time of year. Any help and info is appreciated.

Thanks
MarkJ

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 06:00 PM
Dona

I was in Venice for New Year's Eve a few years ago and I loved it. Everything's open. There are few Americans there - mostly Europeans. It may be difficult to get reservations though. If I can be of assistance, let me know...

Dona

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 08:12 PM
Howard

I was in Venice for New Year's a few years back, and it was wonderful. Here's why: no tourists to speak of; more pigeons in St. Marks than people. Not an exaggeration. Everything is open. The weather was cool/chilly and clear. Jackets open during the day, scarves and hats at night. Perfect for walking for miles. Gondoliers desperate for business. Restaurants open and busy. One caveat: New Year's Eve-- restaurants book up months in advance for special all-night multi-course dinners, full of smoke. We opted for an in-hotel picnic; shopping for it on New Year's Eve day was a wonderful adventure. Everything is closed early on New Years Day, but the city is open by 1 p.m. on the first. It is a busy week for the big popular hotels. Wegot our reservations at the Pensione Accademia the previous May. The three days we had there were just wonderful, and we'd go back in the winter in a heartbeat.

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 05:18 AM
I Can't

This is all great news! My wife and I are going to Venice for New Year's Eve 1999 (that's right, the big one!) I know it will be more crowded than usual on this New Year's Eve , but I'm looking forward to spending it in an Italian city with NO CARS AND NO SCOOTERS!!! We made our reservations back in March, and I would have posted a similar question to this forum, but I was already committed to going!

We originally considered Rome, but we knew it would be completely overrun with pilgrims/tourists. In Venice, the absence of cars will automatically control the crowds, and at night, we'll have the place to ourselves after the daytrippers leave.

MarkJ:
The only potential problem this time of year is "acqua alta" --- floods! I know this because I have previously been in Venice during November. Occasionally seasonal rain combines with high tide to cause flooding in the streets! They put up elevated planks on the major streets for people to walk on, but you need galoshes also. Some of the galoshes in Venice even have stylish heels on them! I was amazed at how residents and shopkeepers deal with it--they barricade doorways with boards, which they adhere to the doorframe with putty. And they are constantly mopping up. But no one complains. The water does not smell during the flood or after the waters recede, which is in a few hours. Do not let this scare you. I experienced it, and am still going back during their rainy season.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 10:21 AM
paula

Hello Mark - I got your address from the Fodor's site. My husband and I are also planning a trip to Italy for Christmas 2000. I am curious to know what sort of feedback you've gotten regarding Venice/Italy during that time of year. We plan to travel a week or so prior to the actual holiday and then spend Christmas somewhere special...like Venice or somewhere else. Can you share anything with me? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Paula

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 11:18 AM
michele

Mark,

There is an article on Venice in the winter in January's (maybe December's ??) GOURMET that was very positive. Just the thought of having that city to yourself is worth the risk of floods.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:06 AM
Ralphie

Hi. I just returned from New Year's Eve in Venice. It was excellent. As was said before, plenty of places open. Weather was fine. I say go for it!

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Dianne

How about New Year's Eve in Florence? Has anyone done that? I was thinking of it for next year and then continuing to Venice.

Old Jan 13th, 2000, 03:23 PM
MarJ

Well now we are thinking about early November (first or second week)so any info on this time frame is appreciated and will help us decide between the week after Christmas or early Nov.

Thanks
MJ