How's the food in Sardinia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been reading a little about the food in Sardina and some guidebooks are reporting it's not the same as mainland Italy. Can anyone share their experiences?
Thanks.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM

The Sunday papers always seem to give you the impression that each part of Europe has its own hugely diverse food and cooking.

We have been to Sardinia four times and covered most of the coast - we found many resorts to offer the usual Southern European dishes. Around Alghero there is a Spanish influence - I seem to remember Paella!!

Generally we found the fish dishes to be very fresh and the Bottarga pasta is an acquired taste. The suckling pig is usually very very tender as are the lamb dishes. The area around Alghero produces some pretty decent wines and the whole island produces very good cow, goat and sheeps cheese.

Don't leave without trying Mirto - it's a very strong after dinner drink that the locals are fiercely proud of - I'm not sure - it produces a killer hang-over.

The best restaurant by a long way (in our experience) was on the road out of Cagliari - past the lagoons full of flamingo. As you reach La Maddalena village its the first restaurant on the left on the beach. Incredible fish dishes - not much of a menu - just a sort of mobile tapas. The waiters wander round with fish dishes just stop them and point to what you want.
The eels were very good.

Let me know if you would like any other information
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

WOW, markrosy, thanks for the very detailed info! I'm curious about the Bottarga pasta you mention. Why the acquired taste?

My husband is a picky eater and used to eating his pasta dishes in familiar places like Tuscany, Pisa, Florence and Cinque Terra. The roasted pig you describe sounds outstanding! We both love seafood also, so Sardinia shouldn't pose a problem.

I appreciate the offer of additional help and may take you up on that once it's a definate. Am still looking at new areas to explore in Italy for next year.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 03:59 AM

Sardinia is indeed a great place to visit. WOnderful beaches, wind nature and sceneries, excellent food plus lots of history and culture.

About the food you can try also
seadas: it's a dessert made of fried dough with cheese inside and served hot with honey
culurgiones: hand made ravioli filled with pecorino cheese and mint
spaghetti with sea urchins
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:04 AM

I thought the food in Sardinia was good - especially the sweets (pardulas were my favourites). It's been a while since I've been there, but I do remember that the pizza was awful - nothing like the amazing ones we had in Sicily.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmmmmmm....maybe Sicily needs another look.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

The pizza in Sardinia is indeed awful! It's worse than any American pizza, and that includes Domino's. It's not fit for consumption. Everything else in Sardinia is great.