How to travel from Lisbon to Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend of mine will be in Lisbon for work and wants to take her sister to Rome afterwards. We checked whichbudget.com and the only flights she can get from Lisbon to Italy are into Milan which would then require a very long train ride or another flight. Since they don't have lots of time for this trip, they were hoping for one segment to their travel city of choice.

So it seems that Rome is out of the question? Madrid is another option since it's so close to Lisbon although they're not nearly as excited about this. Any suggestions about where they could go with relative transport ease from Lisbon? They are mid-30's and they love art, shopping, and love to eat good food. They've been into BCN and loved it but wanted to try a new city.

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM

Whichbudget only lists discount carriers. TAP Portugal has about three daily non-stops and Alitalia one, LIS-FCO.

Pricing will depends on when one's flying, of course.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks kwan for the info. I checked these airlines' prices for a one-way and they range from $400-650 USD for a one-way ticket.

ouch.

They're going to have to ditch the plan to visit Rome since they won't be able to afford transport. Ah well, perhaps they'll like Madrid... If anyone knows of another destination that's easy (and cheap) to travel to from Lisbon, I'd appreciate any suggestions. thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Don't forget to check roundtrip fares too. They may be cheaper.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM

Lisbon to Rome is a LONG way! Also there's so much to see closer to Lisbon. I would recommend anywhere in Portugal itself. We went from train to Porto by train - a great trip. From there you can go north by train to Santiago de Campostela in Spain, or eastward by bus to Salamanca [which we did, and thoroughly recommend]. Not far from Lisbon is Sintra, and a little further afield, Obidos, Evora and Coimbra [which is on the train-line between Lisbon and Porto]. Of course, There's also the Algarve coast and the south of Spain - so many choices!