How to prepare for pickpockets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling in London & Paris in July and want to get some tips on how to carry money/credit cards/map/camera, etc. so that it is safe from pickpockets. I'm sure someone has come up with a sure-proof way of handling this so I don't have to start over! Appreciate your help!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I don't think you are going to find a consensus about this subject here, as there seems to be a good deal of passion about the subject on this board. The following is just my own approach to the subject:

Moneybelt: I always wear a moneybelt, tucked uder my clothes. I keep my passport, credit card, and money in the moneybelt, except for perhaps 50 euros spending money for the day, which I keep in my pocket, since it wouldn't hurt much to lose if I were caught offguard by a pickpocket.

Camera: I carry my camera either in my purse or in a backpack, along with maps, travel books, etc.

Purse: I carry a messenger-type bag (with a flap covering the opening that can be fastened) with a strap I can wear across my body, less easy for a purse-snatcher to make off with and it leaves my hands and arms free, so I'm less likely to absented-mindedly set down to pick up something to look at in a shop. If you carry a purse, however, be aware of it every minute! I tried to do that in Barcelona, and yet a very talented thief, posing as a waiter, managed to lift my purse (containing camera only) from my lap while I was dining in an outdoor restaurant. Do not put your purse on the floor beneath your seat, or, if you do, loop the strap under a chair leg.

Don't let it make you crazy or ruin your trip being onguard. These are the same precautions I follow in any big city in the US.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Map?! What are they printed on, gold leaf?

Anyway: passport, ticket home and credit card in belt under clothing. iPAQ, transport pass and $100 in local cash in front pants pocket.

Camera: 35mm over the shoulder, or digital in the pocket.

Mary_Fran: if he took your purse from your lap, he must have been really slick (it wouldn't be very charitable of me to mention the other possibility).
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Also check our this current thread running on the subject of moneybelts:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34789243
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Robespierre, I swear I did not feel or see a thing! He WAS quite handsome and charming, however, and it had been a while since I'd had the attentions of a beautiful young Spaniard ... My first suspicion was aroused when he left our table and rather hurriedly disappeared around a corner of the building. Because of the way he acted, I felt in my lap for my purse and knew immediately he'd gotten off with it. The guy was the Mozart of purse snatching, I tell you!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Pickpockets need two conditions to be successful: An easy mark and a distraction.

To avoid being an easy mark, my wife and I both carry our money and credit cards in a slim case that hangs around our necks.

Purse straps can be cut. Quick fingers can extract items from handbags and backpacks without your knowing it.

In order to avoid virtually undressing in a restaurant, I carry one credit card in a zippered pocket that also has a velcro closure that my wife installed. (She is good with sewing.) I also carry a little money, too, for the same purpose.

I hate to suggest that you go around paranoid, but remember that pickpockets always need a distraction to divert your attention. Often the distraction involves "accidental" physical contact such as bumping or jostling. Their ploys are many, well practiced, and expertly executed.

In Paris, I was set up well on the Metro. I am sure the guy saw me coming as I approached the car to get on. Obviously, I was a foreigner and a potentially easy mark. As I approached the open door, the would be thief then pretended to be reading the route map above the door. He was looking up and running his finger along it. As I boarded, he continued his "reading" as he bumped into me. Just as the door closed, he brushed past me and exited.

I am not sure if I foiled his scheme with a quick twist away from him or if he passed because I was too poor to be of interest.

At any rate I lost nothing. I really think he passed on me because I was not worth the effort. My wallet contined only $7.00 US and no plastic at all, so it was quite thin.

Another ploy is for the thieves to be "looking" for something.

One trick I saw was to have an elderly, infirm accomplice spill money on the sidewalk. When a helpful man stopped to help, the "fingers" member of the duo tried to get his wallet.

Then there is is the newspaper gambit. A person reading a newspaper while walking collides with you all the while holding up the newspaper to shield your vision. There is a profusion of apologies while the "fingers" artist does the rest.

In some cities, the oldest dodge in the world is the sex distraction. This one can take all kinds of forms from the most sophisticated to the crudist display.

I don't pretend to know all of the tricks because they are infinite.
I figure all I can do is to make myself a difficult target.

Don't have your valuables in a vulnerable place, and BEWARE the distraction.

And no, a rubber band around the billfold does no good at all. In fact, it compressed it and makes lifting it easier.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM

I carry a small daypack, as opposed to a purse, but I put a small combination lock on the zippers on one of the pockets (there i put my passport, money, etc.); furthermore, the pocket does not go all the way to the bottom of the bag so that if the bag is slashed across the bottom (god forbid) my stuff won't fall out. In the main compartment, I put my travel book, water, food, etc., a little cash for easy access during the day (not locked). I realize that having a little lock on there probably targets me as a tourist. But, I've never had a thing stolen from me; the straps on the pack are too thick to be cut or easily ripped off. The last time I was in Barcelona (land of pickpockets), every pair or group of people I met had at least one person in their group who had been pickpocketed! I luckily spent a happy 4 days in Barcelona with no problems!

My instincts tell me a moneybelt is much safer, but I really can't hide one under some of my clothing outfits (it would be quite obvious) and as a young woman, I balk at the thought of putting extra padding on my midsection
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Carrying anything in a backpack makes you an easy mark. At vey least you want everything where you can see it it. A backpack also tells a pickpocket that you are a tourist and where to start.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM

ooby., if you ever decide to use a money pouch put the bulky part on your lower back so you won't have a pouchy belly!

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:36 PM

True...but I use a very similar daypack here in the US (much smaller than a bookbag a schoolchild carries, and a trendy/sporty pack as well). But I am also young (24) and sporty, so I probably blend better . It's also a necessity for me, as I do a lot of outdoor activities mixed in with my city adventures when I travel (renting bikes, hiking, etc.).

But as I said, money belts seem the safer way to go! Just thought I'd throw out my tactic (and even if I do get targeted as a tourist, good luck to any pickpocket who'd like to figure out my combination lock, try cutting through the slash-resistant fabric of my bag, or ripping it off my shoulders (it's a snug fit). If I were pickpocket, I'd pick an easier target).
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM

LOL Seaurchin.

The moneybelt would still show through my clothes. I wear a lot of stretchy tanktops and gaucho pants. (very thin clothing).

And then I'd just have a long butt
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:00 PM

lol, and don't wear the neck pouch either because then you will have a third breast, better take the backpack!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM

Hmmm...but I could wear TWO neck pouches and have really great breasts (though lumpy). They should make bras with pockets. (or do they?)

Then again, that would defeat the purpose of keeping pickpockets away from my valuables if all their attention is on my neck pouches
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM

What do people think of a wristlet purse (the Hobo Zoe)?

http://www.irvs.com/image.php?itemno...mp;src=froogle

It's shaped like an envelope and has a top zipper with a small strap that goes around my wrist. It's what I normally carry after frequently losing my wallet and/or purse in the course of my everyday life -- it was fine in Italy and Paris but I'm wondering now if I was just lucky? I'm heading to Barcelona and I'm wondering if I should take more precautions...
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM

I carry a roll of local currency in the pocket of my jeans, only as much as i need for the daily bits and pieces and in the other pocket I carry a debit and a credit card, underneath my snotty handkerchief ! On public transport I have my hand in the pocket with the cards, which then tightens the opening of the other pocket! Leaves one hand free as well.... plus I am a big sonafabitch with a constant surly look on my dial ( thats not just attitude just the luck of the genetic draw !) Never been pickpocketed !
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Fishee--

Granted I don't have the most secure traveling tactics myself, I would think that the wrist-purse would be better than a regular purse (just b/c it's so close to your hand). However, especially in Barcelona, those pickpockets are sooooo slick...I would pay particular attention on subways, walking down las ramblas, etc. to actually HOLD the purse in your hand (I would not be even a little surprised if they could unzip it without you noticing in those areas, otherwise; I tell you, they're amazing). When eating dinner, seated, etc.--you also have to pay particular attention to where you put it, since it's so small--perhaps between your legs in your lap? since it's so small?

Perhaps a Fodorite has experience with the wristlet? (a lot of my friends use and love them in the US; but I haven't seen them abroad (or noticed them))
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:12 PM

MissAtlanta, I told you that you wouldn't find consensus on this board!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:25 PM

ooby -- when I hold the purse (while strapped to my wrist) my hand covers the zipper pull which seems pretty secure -- I guess I could do this whenever I'm standing or moving through crowds. I just have to remember to do so which clearly isn't my strong suit or else I wouldn't have needed to buy this in the first place...

It's bigger than it looks -- besides all the contents of my wallet, it easily fit a phrasebook, maps, my ipod, lipstick, and a compact. But with it dangling off my wrist, it's definitely possible for someone to hold and open it without my noticing, especially if I'm in a crowd...
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Fishy- I carry a wristlet similar to this one while in Barcelona:
http://tinyurl.com/jbqgq

Yes, they are smooth, but never has anything been snatched directly from my hand.

Another piece of advice that changed everything for me was that when I am using the subway, I use the stairs. Standing on an escalator is just asking to get picked, as you are stationary and people are all around. There is no escape and at times your back pocket is literally in someone's face. Not only are there hardly ever people on the stairs (certainly not so many as on the escalators), but you are keeping moving, which makes it much more difficult for the thief.

They will always try to stop you somehow; an incident, a question, a request for help. . . your mind should go directly to your valuables, which is a hard thing to remember.

And if you are seated and want to keep your stuff, either put it in your lap (which, as we have seen is not even always effective) or, if it is small and not too hot outside, just stick it between your legs. My wristlet rests nicely like that and believe you me, ain't no one going down there without my knowing it.

Tying things to your chair is not always very effective, as often times they will just get the contents they need (I have seen it happen). Tying the bag to your leg is much better, as you might feel it.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM

hi claire! You do wristlets too, how wonderful. I've been shopping for a replacement since my HOBO is almost 3 years old and getting past that "deep patina" stage to just plain ol thrashed. I also put mine in my lap for dinner, or even on the table where it props up easily against stuff since it's so thin.

The stairs are a very good idea -- I tend to feel the most vulnerable when I'm standing still in a crowd. I'll try to stay off the escalators if my feet and butt can survive the stairs, but I haven't found cute shoes that are comfortable enough. But I will not jack this thread, I promise. wristlets are fabulous, let's get back on topic here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -