How to pay in Prague?

Mar 31st, 1999, 10:30 AM
turnip

How to pay in Prague?

Hello Experts!

Any suggestions on the best way to pay for things in the Czech Republic? We usually get some currency before leaving home, but our bank wants to short us nearly %25 from the listed exchange rates. Are ATM's common, so that I can get cash that way or am I better off getting travelers checks?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Apr 1st, 1999, 10:42 AM
Adrienne

Hello. When I was in Prague three years ago the best exchange rate was with American Dollars. I brought limited cash and traveler's checks and everywhere I went had to pay a commission to cash my checks but there was no commission for exchanging dollars.

I also got money on my Visa from a bank. I didn't see many ATM machines in Prague but maybe things have changed in the past few years. It was no problem to go into a bank and give my credit card for a cash advance.

Remember not to have Czech money left over as you can't turn it back in anywhere else and if you want to exchange local currency before you leave to come home then you need the exchange slip you get from the Change Office (I didn't try to re-exchange any currency so I don't know how difficult it is).

When I was there, Prague wasn't set up for tourists as Western European cities are. There was a tourist office but they only booked escourted tours and only on certain days. You couldn't even get a city map there...you had to go to the Currency Exchange for a map. When we wanted to take a day trip outside the city we consulted three guide books on how to get to Karlstein Castle and took a tram, metro, train, and minivan. It was an interesting experience.

I'm sure you'll love Prague...it's so beautiful and the people are eager to help. It's also very inexpensive and was a delight after the high cost of Vienna.

Good Luck in your travels.

Apr 1st, 1999, 10:43 AM
Adrienne

Hello. When I was in Prague three years ago the best exchange rate was with American Dollars. I brought limited cash and traveler's checks and everywhere I went had to pay a commission to cash my checks but there was no commission for exchanging dollars.

I also got money on my Visa from a bank. I didn't see many ATM machines in Prague but maybe things have changed in the past few years. It was no problem to go into a bank and give my credit card for a cash advance.

Remember not to have Czech money left over as you can't turn it back in anywhere else and if you want to exchange local currency before you leave to come home then you need the exchange slip you get from the Change Office (I didn't try to re-exchange any currency so I don't know how difficult it is).

When I was there, Prague wasn't set up for tourists as Western European cities are. There was a tourist office but they only booked escourted tours and only on certain days. You couldn't even get a city map there...you had to go to the Currency Exchange for a map. When we wanted to take a day trip outside the city we consulted three guide books on how to get to Karlstein Castle and took a tram, metro, train, and minivan. It was an interesting experience.

I'm sure you'll love Prague...it's so beautiful and the people are eager to help. It's also very inexpensive and was a delight after the high cost of Vienna.

Good Luck in your travels.

Apr 1st, 1999, 02:45 PM
Helena

Don't worry, there are tons and tons of ATMs in Prague, and that's the place to get the best rates. I'd bring a very limited supply of traveller's checks, your ATM card(s) and two credit cards. There are ATMs on every corner, and there's an Amex store on Wenceslas Square where cardholders can cash personal checks (the monthly limit for green card holders is $1,000, for the other "color" cards it's higher.) Don't bother with Czech currency from the US - there are ATMs at the airport exits as well as change booths if you're stuck for cash. Even there, you'll do better than your US bank. I've lived here for years, and rely exclusively on my US-based checking account for cash (no local account). Have fun!!

Apr 2nd, 1999, 04:20 AM
bo_jack

I'm confirming Helena's guidance. Five years ago it was easy to find ATMs in Prague -- I'm sure their numbers have not decreased.