How to pay in Greece

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to pay in Greece

We are travelling to Greece for the Olympics. I have read in Fodor's and Frommer's that many places don't take credit cards. We can't figure out how much cash to take with us for the 23 days we will be there. Also will we get a better exchange rate if we get euros here or in Greece? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:05 AM
ira

Hi marylou,

Don't bring cash, except for a little bit to take you from the airport to the hotel.

Bring your ATM card and get cash as you may need it.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 03:43 PM

If you are able to use cards, Visa and Mastercard are the ones to utilize. You will be charged extra if you try to pay with AMEX because the merchants have to pay a 7% fee to the card company. Of course many hotels, airlines, auto rental agencies and large department stores will take your cards with pleasure. Most small local businesses such as tavernas, markets and bakeries only deal with cash.

Wait until you get to Greece to exhcange for Euros. You'll get a better rate.

If you use ATMs be sure that the cash advance fees you will be charged make it worth your while. Sometimes it's easier just to take TC's and exchange them as needed.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I was in Athens over Christmas and New Year, all modern stores - the designer boutiques, jewellery stores and upmarket delicatessens take MasterCard and VISA - If you prefer to pay in cash then take a few thousand EUR to cover yourself - make sure this is deposited in your room safe upon arrival.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:50 PM
P_M

Personally I don't like to carry around more than 250 or so euros in cash at a time, but everyone's comfort level with cash is different. I recommend using the credit card as much as possible, then when when you're low on cash, stop by an ATM machine. M_K is correct that upscale stores will take credit cards, but I was surprised at how often Greek store owners offered me a discount for paying cash instead of a credit card. If this happens, ATM's can be found just about everywhere, and you will get a better exchange using the ATM.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:56 PM
P_M

Please allow me to clarify my last sentence. You will get a better exchange by using your ATM card than exchanging at a bank or change booth. I do not know where you are from, but if you are from the US, then almost any exchange you get in Greece is better than what you will get before leaving home. Exchanging in the US will be the most expensive way to go.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Brotherleelove, or anyone else, did you have a personal experience with being charged more with an AMEX card purchase? The reason is that our company provides us with AMEX cards when we travel for work. And there will be a lot of my coworkers in Athens during the Olympics, all using their AMEX cards as per company policy. If it costs extra then it will negatively impact the per diem paid by our employer, something I don't think the company has considered.

Visa and MC used to charge merchants a fee - do they not any longer?

So how does it work - you take an item to the till, they ring it in, and when you whip out your AMEX they tell you the price of the item just changed? Or if you get a bill in a restaurant and you hand over the offending AMEX, they alter the bill?
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Because of the high fees associated with AMEX, many merchants are not willing to accept them. Visa and MC charge 3% where AMEX charges 7%. If your coworkers only have AMEX to use they might find themselves without any means to purchase those goods and services they desire. There will be some merchants that will accept AMEX cards but only if you agree to pay the higher service fee. So yes, if you attempt to pay with an AMEX card you most likely will discover that the price is higher than anticipated.

My best advice is to always ask first if AMEX is accepted, and under what conditions.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Thanks - this is great to know in advance. Some will be arriving there next week and could be in for a shock!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:05 AM

It's an out of date myth that places don't take cards. They do. Even remote places.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I now have a better idea of what I am dealing with.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM

We kept ourselves armed with a little more cash than usual (taken from an ATM) in Greece, because we too read that many placed didn't take credit cards. As Sheila says, that information is outdated. The only places we found that didn't take cards were tiny hole in the wall cafes, where we weren't spending much money anyway. Our card was never refused at a regular restaurant in a month of travel on six islands plus the mainland.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Another vote that even on the littlest islands, plastic is happily accepted. (Tips in euros most happily accepted.) ATMs are in the port towns of even the tiniest places. Islanders gotta do their banking too !

One thing to add is it's the law for servers to present you with an itemized bill, usually with a punch-hole kind of stamp at the top. It'll all be in Greek, but you can make out every dish & drink ordered. This helps prevent overcharging.

I'm an expert traveler, and the 1 time I got caught out on this, we paid way over the odds for lobster pasta. I didn't care; it was worth it (though at NYC prices, not island-economy). Fresh lobster! Fresh sauce from lovely peeled tomatoes/basil/oregano you could see in the taverna gardens! Oh yes. But we figured out the hella huge markup later that night.

Funny thing was we were staying on this island for a whole 3 weeks -- and lemme tell you, you get to recognize *everyone* on such a small island (and vice-versa, islanders are keen to find out about you & what's your story for being there, too)! So I must've seen this waitress every other day. She sure did seem embarrassed every time I (slightly knowingly) smiled at her.
Heck, propping up the tourism sector, it was a great trip : )
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:32 PM

We were in Greece in March. Lots of small, out of the way family restaurants did NOT take plastic. Even places that did liked cash. Also, in some shops it was possible to get a better price with cash. The lovely hotel we stayed at in Kastraki charged a fee for paying with plastic. The good news is that ATM's are everywhere, even the most remote town.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:32 PM

I agree with all the above regarding the acceptability of credit cards and the availability of ATM machines. The only caveat I have is that when I was in Greece, for some reason my ATM card didn't always work--even when I was using different branches of the same bank. Another couple I met had their ATM card eaten. This could happen anywhere, not just Greece, and I certainly don't think it's the norm (My ATM card was very temperamental in Argentina, too). However, whenever I travel I always take three forms of "currency"-- ATM, credit card, and a small amount of cash to cover such mishaps.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:35 PM

In april we found cards were happily accepted nearly everywhere. There are plenty of ATM's ,the whole money thing is just so easy these days. In fact the hard part is earning it ! They have developed a myriad of simple watys to help you spend it !
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 11:50 PM

I live in Athens and here is my personal experience:

The overwhelming majority of places in Athens accept credit cards mainly Visa & MC. Amex (since is is traded only by one bank in Greece) is neither widespread nor very popular.

As far shopping is concerned you'll have absolutely no problem using a credit card. As for restaurants it is more likely to experience problems but I believe that they'll hardly involve a transaction of more than 100 eur. (upscale and therefore more expensive restaurants usually take credit cards)
What is really essential to bear in mind is that inside the Olympic premises only Visa is accepted.