How to make money as we travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2023, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are hoping to head over to Europe late next year for a few months, and I was wondering what kind of work is available for tourists to do as we travel. Is it possible to stop in a place and work in a hostel for a week or two for money? Is that kind of thing allowed or not?
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would need a visa to work, unless it's done 'on the sly' for cash which personally I don't recommend. There are visas available, depending on your circumstances. You'd have to apply and get it before you leave Australia. Under a certain age (35?) I think it's easier to do the sort of work you mention, just casually as you travel.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can do as many Aussies do which is get a working visa for the UK, save up your earnings and trip to Europe from the UK. There are other European countries that allow working holiday visas - I think Germany and the Netherlands are two of them, but you have to meet age requirements. I think you can't do more than 12 months in most cases, not sure about the UK, could be 2 years there. And in the UK you must take up work for which you aren't skilled. So if you were an electrical engineer you couldn't take up an electrical engineering-related job, but you could take up another kind of engineering job.

Lavandula
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 01:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Though of course that depends if you are an "engineer" (which normally means a technician) or an Engineer (a professional grade).
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 02:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Look for a bar or a restaurant, with a "Sorry, cash only, machine broken" sign.
They pay their employees off the books.