Reload this Page >

How to increase tourism in rural areas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:04 AM
John

I am not convinced in my hearts of hearts that this is the right forum to raise this issue, but I could not think of a better one. <BR> <BR>I am considering writing an article for local magazines, small newspapers, etc of how smaller towns/villages (off the beaten track) could increase tourism to their areas. <BR> <BR>I often hear people making high-faluting statements about the importance of tourism but they seldom make practical suggestions of how this could be done. <BR> <BR>My idea is to gather as many practical ideas as possible and to publish it nationally so that people that stay in smaller towns/villages can use the ones that they want and implement it in their towns. Maybe we can help with some rural/community development. <BR> <BR>An example of what I am looking for? Something like to introduce "farm holidays" to "get away from the rat race"; selling unique, local goods such as cheese, etc. Activities that could involve a whole community. <BR> <BR>Are there any websites that could help with ideas? <BR> <BR>Thank you very much for your help! <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Bob Brown

You are not going to get people to a rural area unless you offer something to see. Plains, Georgia, capitalized on the fact that it is Jimmy Carter's home town. I agree, that was a stroke of good fortune for Plains, but without a drawing card, there was no reason for tourists to take a drive out into the peanut fields of Sumter County. <BR> <BR>A real study in success, however, is Helen, Georgia. A few years ago someone came up with the idea of building a pseudo Alpine village. The town was redone in what I would call a Bavarian mountain village motif with new facades on existing structures, and a few totally new buildings including motels. It took concerted government action to achive the objectives. The city government developed a development plan and stipulated building codes which it enforced consistently. The basic ingredient of the north Geogia mountains was there, but there are quite a few towns in the area that have not drawn anything like the crowds that flock to Helen on warm weekends. I think it safe to say that Helen is an unqualified economic success. <BR> <BR>Some contend that the economic growth has destroyed the original flavor of the region, and some people think the Alpine facades look tacky and fake. No matter, it was built to look charming and the idea worked. Without the influx of visitors, the town would have shriveled to next to nothing, and the mountain economy would never have received a badly needed inflow of dollars. <BR>The old saying of, "Build it and they will come," certainly applied. I commend to you a detailed study of the whole idea and its accomplishment. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:39 AM
xx

Bob, <BR> <BR>Regarding the good fortune of Jimmy Carter being elected President, <BR> <BR>maybe it was fortunate for Plains, but not for the rest of America!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:41 AM
Gigi

Bob Brown, you are my hero! <BR>I only wish you would contribute more often. <BR>Gigi

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Just

So John, you want others to do your research and come up with ideas so YOU can use them to write an article which is presumably for your own profit? <BR>What percentage of your article income are you providing to those who supplied web site research, commerce ideas, etc.?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Christina

Sorry, John, but I don't buy your premise. Tourism is not good for a lot of areas, it ruins them. I don't think rural areas should encourage tourism, the residents will probably hate it. I live in the Wash DC metro area and understand why tourists want to come here, I did myself before I moved here, but they really negatively impact on the city for me as a resident. There are times when I cannot go downtown because the tourists are clogging the subways, etc (like Cherry Blossom time) and my travel time to work is affected because of tourists. I don't like them. Anyway, Bob is right, there is no way to promote tourism in areas with nothing of interest. Why is your hypothesis that tourism is automatically desirable for every place?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:39 PM
John

Let’s not go off and assume he wouldn’t give attribution for good ideas. I think the forums can be a valid source, and at least he disclosed his intentions. Cut the guy some slack, it’s an interesting question. <BR> <BR>John, are you referring to European examples? This is the Europe forum, after all. If so, you might want to look at some tourist or economic development agencies’ web sites from Europe, such as the Scottish or Irish Tourist Boards, regional entities like Highlands and Islands Enterprise in Scotland, or any number of similar organizations across Europe. <BR> <BR>For North American ideas, type in “rural development tourism” into any search engine and stand back. <BR> <BR>Bob, there are similar faux villages in several parts of the US. Leavenworth, not too far from Seattle, re-made itself in a Bavarian theme as the result of recommendations from a student project at the University of Washington. Too gemütlich for my tastes, but it takes all kinds. There’s a faux “Danish” village called Solvang in California, and lord knows how many other, similar efforts around N. America. <BR> <BR>In Europe many rural areas have grasped tourism as their last remaining income source and as a means of arresting rural depopulation, which was becoming a huge issue in several countries late in the last century (sounds funny, that.) It’s sometimes a mixed blessing, because often the wage structure paid in the tourism sector is way less than in other industries; this has been the bane of a number of tropical and other developing countries, as hotels et al pay starvation wages to local staff. <BR> <BR>Complex, interesting subject, probably being transformed as the information age allows people to “explore” parts of the world where they never would have bothered to visit. There used to be a saying in the tourism business that “poverty was picturesque.” Tourism might solve poverty to some degree, but can it be done in a way that the appeal of the place isn’t reduced by its prosperity? <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Al Godon

I'm new around here. Did the US of A survive Carter? <BR>It must have survived Nixon and Johnson or else Carter would not have been elected. There was a president after Carter wasn't there? <BR>Seriously, when all is said and done, lets stack total record against total record. Jefferson is held out to American school children as a hero. <BR>He was in many ways a very impractical man. Monticello darn near did not survive Jefferson; he left the estate deeply in debt and it had to be rescued at considerable expense. <BR> <BR>As for destroying the character of a place, if you don't revive the economy, <BR>poverty will do the destruction for you!! <BR>Areas of urban blight attract few tourists; the same is true of rural blight. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Bob Brown

I in no way stated that Helen, Georgia, was unique. It is, however, the only place I know well enough to describe. <BR>I am not going to write about something where I do not have an adequate basis, and for this forum I am not going to conduct a literature search. <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:48 PM
John

Thank you for the comments so far. <BR> <BR>Bob: Can't agree with you more - you have to put your town on the map, even if it is through "Jimmy Carter" and peanuts. <BR> <BR>Just Curious: Running the risk of sounding naive, I have not thought of getting money for the article but now that you mention it, why not. Sharing the money may be difficult but sharing the ideas is easy, eg. if you go to www.rural-europe.aeidl.be, you will find a reference to rural tourism in the library where there is a "methodology guide to evaluate a territory's touristic potential". As it is I am looking for some off the cuff ideas, such as proper parking and good signage. <BR> <BR>Christina: I agree that tourism may not be good for everybody but that is why I said that the towns can use those ideas that they want to - if they want it. <BR> <BR>John from Yahoo: No, this is not for European examples only, it can be anywhere. I posted the question here as it is the only forum that I "know" as I do not follow the other forums such as US, etc at all. Thank you for your suggestions and comment, however. If rural areas in Europe et al are using tourism as a last resort to stem economic and population starvation in those areas, then maybe we, in a "developing" country in the "south", can also investigate the options. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:25 AM
hans

If rural towns want to build tourism, one thing they can do is put together an attractive website with plenty of great photos of the town, suggestions for things to do in the vicinity and include links to hotels, inns and restaurants. <BR> <BR>That's how I found a place to stay (L'AUBERGE DE TOURRETTES) in Cote d'Azur this past March. <BR> <BR>www.tourrettessurloup.com

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Clairoobscur

There are numerous ways to achieve such a goal. What is needed is an original idea, and more important a real will : a group of people who don't mind wasting a lot of time for this project with the support of the local authorities and of the population. <BR> <BR>Some succesfull examples out of my head : <BR> <BR>-A music festival in a tiny village in Brittany : 500 people came the first year, now, tens years later they're expecting 170 000 visitors, and invited internationally famous singers <BR> <BR>-An international festival of traditionnal dances in the limousin region : they invite dance groups from all over the world <BR> <BR>-A "village of the book" . The municipality in a deserted village offered to rent shops at very low prices <BR>to anyone whose work has something to do with books : sellers of rare books, people restoring them, etc. There are places were you can have a drink while reading books left at your disposal,etc..They organize various events related to books all year long and have achieved some notoriety <BR> <BR>-Historical spectacles : The famous "Puy du Fou" in southern france began with a spectacle around the history of the place, played each week by locals in costumes. Now there's a whole park, roman circus games, fireworks, medieval siege spectacle, etc..and hundred of thousands of visitors.. <BR> <BR> <BR>.....

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:17 AM
clairoobscur

..... <BR> <BR>-Activities centered on a local product : a cereal, sausages,oysters, whatever, with a festival, a competition with prizes, several fairs during the summer, a museum, a local brand, etc... <BR> <BR>-Allowing and inviting modern artists to create artwork : for example modern statues in a wood near the village. <BR> <BR>Actually I believe that there a once again the more important is to have a really dedicaced

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:21 AM
clairobscur

Sorry..I hit inadvertantly the "post" thing : <BR> <BR>I believe that it's not that difficult to find an idea (another one I just remembered : an international competition of fireworks, or a theater festival). The most important is to have a very dedicaced group of people who will be willing to spend a lot of time to insure the success of the project, very supporting local authorities, and also of course an efficient communication, a lot of public relations, etc...

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 10:34 PM
John

Thank you for the ideas. Much appreciated!!