How to I pack my flonase for carryon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching the forums about what the TSA allows, but I'm not so sure about medication nasal sprays.

I have a prescription for a nasal spray(similar to Flonase), but can I put this in a seperate quart size ziplock bag, or does this need to go in the bag that only holds up to 3 oz of liquid?

I will also be taking one of those ocean nasal sprays(non-prescription). Would this be considered a "medication" type of liquid, or would I need to fit this in my 3 oz bag?

On a different subject, I will be taking my spare contacts lens in my carryon. I believe contact solution is considered a medication type of liquid, and I can put this in a seperate ziplock bag - is that correct? From what I have read, for contact solution, I can bring on a bottle that is larger than 3 oz right?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, my title should have obviously been how "do" I...
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM

Anna-look, I wouldn't worry about Flonase at all. In fact, just put it in a baggie, and that's all you need. This last trip, neither TSA nor CDG nor VCE (and CDG is very strict, btw) seemed to be the least concerned that I had half bottles of liquid hand sanitizer (always carry this while traveling!) liquid foundation, and I didn't have any of it in a baggie, but they didn't care.

They have relaxed a lot-just have both of them in a ziplock, you'll be fine.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
prescriptions are not limited to 3 oz and do not have to go in the quart-sized bag. . . .

Also I doubt your OTC nasal spray is more than 3 oz so that one isn't an issue. It can go in the baggie w/ all your other liquids/gels
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM

to clarify - liquid prescriptions and necessary OTC meds don't have to fit in the ziplok - but they do have to be screened separately. They can't be buried in your carry-on, but will be placed in one of the bins to go through the screener.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

And to clarify more - those are the rules for flights originating in the States. For your flight home you need to check for the specific country . . . .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.

Janisj,

Just to clarify - both the medication nasal spray and my OTC ocean spray can both go in a separate ziplock bag from the one that needs to only hold 3 oz?

Also, from what I've read on the TSA site, I can also put my contact lens case and solution in a separate bag from the one that requires only 3 oz?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM

I tape the Rx from the original box the nasal spray/inhalers/creams came in onto the container when I travel. I have several Rxs that are liquids and the airport security said there was no need to put them with the other 3 oz liquids in the quart bag. In fact, it confused them so they told me to keep them packed separately in my carry on.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SuQue
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM

&quot;<i>in a separate bag from the one that requires only 3 oz?</i>&quot;

1) they do not have to go in a baggie at all. (though you CAN put then in one if you want just to keep them together)

2) The &quot;3 oz&quot; baggie can have a LOT of bottles/jars/tubes - just no single one can be larger than 3 oz.