Reload this Page >

How to get hotel discounts in Italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 02:30 PM
Bebe

I am researching hotel prices for a planned trip to Italy in September. The quoted prices I am seeing are quite high for three and four star hotels, especially considering the good exchange rate. We have been successful getting discount rates all over the US (including Hawaii) and Australia using United Airlines 50% off Hotel Certificates or the Entertainment card. I have been inquiring at a number of hotels in Italy but find none accept any of these for discounts (not even the Hiltons, Hyatts, etc). Has anyone here been succesful at getting less than rack rates at hotels in Italy? If so, how did you do it? Part of the problem may be that we are traveling in September which is a busy time of year, but curious if anyone has been able to secure rooms at decent discounts.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:07 PM
rlk

- <BR>Usually stay at two star & occasionally three star hotels in Italy. They usually require a credit card to hold the reservation, however I've found that often if you agree to pay in cash they'll cut a slightly better deal. <BR>So when e-mailing or calling, ask if they offer a discount for paying in cash. <BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:44 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Bebe, It is called supply and demand. Italy is hot now---too many books and too much disposable income. Everyone is going and many of them in Sep. You are about 5 years late for discounts.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Belinda

You can get discounted accomodation in Italy through a UK & international site - http://www.lastminute.com <BR> <BR>This is where you pick up last minute specials on hotels that aren't full yet or ones that give the site a volume discount. Just go to the hotels section and search by city. I use it in Australia a lot and get 4-5 star hotels for less than $50 US!! Italy won't be as cheap, but it should be cheaper than rack rate.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:03 PM
wendy

Two ways- Check the Sheraton website- they have 3 differnent chaons of hotels, the Luxury Hotels being their 5 star hoitels. Look under Hot Rates, and you will see some amazing rates for 5 star hotels. Also, go into 1800usahotels.com where you will find some great rates too. I was away last summer when all hotels where booked, but I was able to get rates way below the rack rates. Any questions,email

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:38 PM
gb

Although not 3 star, we did have success at using our United miles hotel coupons at Holiday Inn Express near Venice and in Foligno.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 02:22 AM
Zoe

Bebe <BR>You could try some of the hotel booking agencies, which offer special deals on certain hotels at certain times. I'm not sure of any web addresses, but if you do a web search, I'm sure you'll find some.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:56 AM
sarmzy

After 20 hours of research on the computer, we found this wonderful website titled travelnow.com. <BR>We will be staying at a 5 star hotel called the Bernini Bristol in Rome in May 2001. The hotel offered us the room at $400, but through travelnow.com, we will be getting the same room for $233. <BR>Check them out. They have a lot of hotels to choose from.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:04 AM
dina

Just be cheeky and ask for a discount . . . . that what I did and it worked . . . we also plan our trip so that it falls on birthdays and anniversaries. So far I have booked a room in Sorrento (3 star) and have managed to get a free upgrade to a sea-view room, a discount on the rate (saving us 50 pounds = 75 dollars) and a free limo ride from the airport to the hotel ! In Rome I have only managed to get a small discount saving us a mere 12 pounds = 18 dollars !!! but they have offered us a free bottle of wine. (wedding anniversary)

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:05 AM
dina

me again.... <BR>and thats for a trip this September. <BR>