How to get from Rome to Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you take a train from the Rome airport directly to Florence?

Or do you have to take a train or something into Rome and get a train from there?

Thanks,

Celia
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:37 AM

I prefer to drive. You can take a variety or routes and see a lot of the countryside.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:04 AM

I know there is a fast train from Rome to Florence but it's not from the airport. We went to Rome a few years ago and the airport was pretty far from the city center.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 12:04 PM

Google maps indicate that you need to take a train to Rome and transfer to another one for Florence.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get from Fiumicino to Florence without going into Termini station by going with Italairail but you still have to change, in this case at Rome Tibertina:

https://www.italiarail.com/pages/rou...rt-to-florence
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 12:56 PM

There are A FEW direct trains a day from FCO directly to Florence. Most require a change in Rome.

For example, on December 19 (random date I checked) there's a direct train at 11:08 arriving Firenze S. M. Novella station (Florence) at 13:22.

Check yourself on www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Use the correct spellings of stations (Fiumicino Aeroporto and Firenze S. M. Novella).
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 01:18 PM

Most of the above info is wrong or a little inaccurate, at best.

There are two direct trains, Frecciargento, from Flumicino to Florence leaving at 1108 and 1508 (3.08pm). For the rest of the time you need to take the Leonard Express to Termini and change to a train for Florence. There is roughly a train an hour to Florence from Termini. Second option, take a Regionale train - FL1 - from Flumicino to Tibertina station and change to a Florence train there. You can buy your tickets at the airport train station after you arrive. Obviously the easier train are the two direct.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 01:21 PM

PS I was trying at the same time as Andrew. His information is accurate.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 01:40 PM

Great advice from fmpden and andrew as usual

Book your Rome Termini-Florence Santa Maria Novella (SMN) tickets yourself online at www.trenitalia.com and you can get discounted tickets but they are non-changeable non-refundable I believe. So if doing discounted ticket route after flying leave plenty of time between flight and train from Rome Termini. Better probably buy a full-fare ticket upon arrival at airport train station and ask for the next convenient train. www.seat61.com has loads of great info on booking your own - for general info Italian trains also check www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd wait a bit at airport if I could get a direct train and negate changing in crowded Rome Termini station. But, if booking other trains for your trip book as early as possbile for deep discounts that are limited in number.

The airport train station is about a 15-minute walk or less from arrivals area.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:16 PM

Just book Roma Fiumicino to Firenze SMN at www.trenitalia.com

Remember the choice between (a) booking a cheap ticket with no refunds, no changes, and (b) paying for a 'base' price fare on the day. If you choose the former, allow for the flight to be late, miss the train and your ticket is worthless. If you choose the latter, just buy at the station for the next train after you're through the airport. Your call!