Geneva vicinity hotel for one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These forums are immensely helpful-- many thanks in advance for your insight.

Looking for a hotel recommendation in or near a Geneva for one night before our departure home, which departs from Geneva airport. We arrive at noon in Switzerland the day before the flight, arriving from Anncey. It seems that this may be too short of time to do much, but rather than stay in an airport hotel, I wonder if there is a better option? Will turn in rental car day before and take taxi to airport morning of flight. Travel date is mid October. Thank you!
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 04:36 AM

<i>Geneva vicinity hotel for one day?
Posted by: MaryCAnderson on Sep 14, 16 at 4:42am
Looking for a hotel recommendation in or near a Geneva for one night before our departure home, which departs from Geneva airport. </i>

There are several in Ferney-Voltaire, a little French village abutting the airport.
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps...erney-voltaire
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
The Intercontinental is very nice and on the bus line to the airport. If I recall correctly, it's only about 6 stops from the airport, maybe 15 minutes? You can google that. The hotel gives you a free transit pass good on the buses.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's easy to get into the Geneva airport from anywhere along Lac Leman. I've never stayed in Geneva proper, but with friends out in either Vevey or Montreux and take the train directly to the airport for my flight.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:53 PM

I think Les Armures in the old town is perfect for a short stay.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 05:15 PM
kja

What do you want to do with your limited time in the area? There's plenty to see and do in Geneva itself, or you could spend some time outside of Geneva proper. I would want to know that before recommending a specific hotel or location....
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 05:25 PM
kja

FWIW: You need to check to see if anyone responded to your questions by clicking on your screen name in the upper right and selecting "view profile"? There is no notification feature.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

These are wonderful suggestions-- especially pleased that easy transport is available to the airport. Thank you all for your replies.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 01:57 PM

The train ride is approx. 1 hour from Vevey. A smidge longer from Montreux. Check schedules to make sure it's a direct train to the airport (some you would have to make a transfer in Lausanne but others go straight thru).
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 05:50 PM

If you want to stay in Geneva I recommend Bel' Esperance in the Old Town. No frills but clean and nice breakfast included. Great location for exploring on foot - a few blocks to the lake (maybe a boat ride?), charming Old Town area, Cathedral, Maison Tavel, Reformation Wall, shopping... Walked to Les Armures for dinner - excellent. Heard good things about their hotel as well.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 06:20 PM
kja

OK, I guess you aren’t willing to say where you might be….

If in Geneva, you might consider the Hotel Cristal Design for lodging (not perfect, but certainly extremely convenient and good enough for a night).

In Lausanne, I was pleased with the Hotel Aulac, but it hasn’t been getting overwhelmingly positive reviews of late.

In Montreux, I was not particularly pleased with the Hotel Splendid.
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

@kja, I am willing to say....if I knew. Still trying to decide if we should spend our half day in Geneva proper, or, in one of the villages. I am traveling with an eight year old, so it needs to be something that engages that age. Perhaps one of the villages? Or Ferney Voltaire because it is close and most convenient? ( and thx for heads up than there is no notification feature.)
Old Sep 15th, 2016, 09:20 PM
kja

Understandable! I must admit that I'm not much use when it comes to children, but:

Would the cog train to Rocher de Naye be of interest to your eight-year-old? I can't swear that the timing would work, but it might be worth investigating. Might take too much time, though, and would mean sitting on trains for a couple of hours in each direction....

Another option might be to visit the Jet d'Eau, walk around Geneva (walking can be especially nice after a long flight), and take a steamboat ride along Lake Geneva (the ones I took have glass around the steam engines, so one can see them -- potentially interesting for people of any age!).

Perhaps more knowledgeable people will chime in now that they know a bit more about what you are seeking...
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Chateau de Chillon is a pretty amazing place (understatement) I think kids would be interested in it. Walking or biking along the quai (lakeside promenade) in Vevey is great. The tram up Rocher de Naye is exciting and I think all ages would appreciate it (only if the weather is clear).