Reload this Page >

how to get from boston to florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 04:00 PM
patti

Does anyone know if it is more convenient/inexpensive/reliable to fly from Boston to Rome and take the train up to Florence or to fly Boston to France/Germany/etc. and then fly into Florence? Just curious since I can't seem to find direct flights from Boston to Florence. I'm kind of concerned because I'll be taking a lot of baggage and wonder if this might be a hassle if I take the train. I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 05:20 PM
Ken

Alitalia has one flight a day from Boston to Milan, the to Florence. Luftansa also goes (think to Munich) then to Florence. My daughter is spending a term studying in Florence and I just completeted arangine to go over as her term ends, spend a week and all come back on the same plane. What a workout. Good Luck. Make res early and stay away from the weekends.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 05:31 AM
Paul

Patti - the last two years we have flown from Boston-Florence, once on Lufthansa through Frankfurt and once on Air France through Paris. You may also find that Sabena and SwissAir fly this route, if you check their web sites. <BR> <BR>The only possible drawback is that since Florence is such a small airport, they don't send large planes in and out. They are usually 50-60 person small jets. If this doesn't bother you, go for it! When you get out of the airport, just queue for a taxi into town.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 08:43 AM
Walter

Personally I'd pass on the train with customs, luggage, transport to Termini, waiting time, and train trip. It would be alot easier just to make a flight connection. I quickly looked and didn't know your travel dates but I'd pass on Alitalia it requires a connection (Milan) to a partner airline (Azzurra Air) probably on a turboprop (unless you don't mind them). SwissAir requires 2 connections from Zurich, 1:15min layover and a small jet to Suisse and a 2.5hr layover and a turboprop to Florence. Try, as others have mentioned Lufthansa, AirFrance, BritishAir etc. My 1st choice would be BA on their 777 out of/into Boston if possible. IMO great service, decent food and legroom. Alitalia flys a 767-300ER from Boston terrible service/food *but* excellent legroom, I'm 6'2". HTH Regards, Walter (the most dangerous part of flying out of Logan is getting to the airport (Boston drivers). <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 09:35 AM
ellie

I like using Travelocity as a tool to check out the options for travelling from point to point via air. You plug in Boston as your departure point and Florence as your destination with your travel dates - you'll get a listing of a whole lot of options and prices. We flew Boston to Stockholm recently and were surprised at the range of options and airlines available. We've successfully booked both air and hotel reservations through them - although you are able to get lots of useful info from them with no obligation to purchase.