How to duplicate Pimm's and lemonade?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I became addicted to Pimm's and lemonade while in London a few months back and now I'm trying to make it at home and it just doesn't taste the same.
I noticed that a lot of pubs used R Whites lemonade which I can't get here and I've emailed them asking if it's available in the U.S. but have gotten no response.
I'm using Diet Sprite and adding a slice of lemon and a slice of orange but it still isn't quite right.
Any suggestions?
Other than buying a plane ticket to the U.K.?
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Hi tudorprincess, I have never had Pimm's and lemonade but was wondering if you have ever made your own lemondade? Easy to do and imagine it would be a big improvement over Diet Sprite with a citrus slice.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:34 AM

If you really want to get the R Whites Lemonade, I know of a British food store where you can order it:
http://www.pennyhapenny.com/catalog/...f307ba48b5c69d
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Ah! One of my favourite mixed drinks.

Unfortunately, its all in the 'lemonade'. All NA versions of what the British call lemonade (that being Seven-up, Sprite, etc.) are too sweet and less citrusy than the real thing.

The closest I've come to it is by mixing the Pimms (and beware, there are different types of Pimms, so check the number on the bottle), soda water and fresh lime and lemon juice until it tastes how I like it. I served this to guests last summer and we all drank nothing else for most of the evening.

I also had a great recipe for a Pimms punch which I remember being served the first time in a tea cup with a slice of cucumber.

Makes for a great 'sundowner' on the African plains while on safari.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:11 AM

You know! I am gonna have to stop reading these threads on here!
Thanks to you all ( and you know who you are) I have become fond of Kir ( used to like it then quit drinking them) tried Prosecco and Limoncello and now back to Pimms!
I had a Pimms #1 a long time ago and loved it..is this just a sweet version?
I will do my best to work with you on perfecting it
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I always make it with fresh lemonade and soda water, far superior than some syruppy concocation achieved with soft drink style lemon flavoured beverage.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Thank you M_K..measurements?
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I use the Pims number one and when I first had one it was served, oddly, with a cucumber stick.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM

I second Mathieu's approach - I like it with just soda and lemon juice. You can add a little simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water heated until the sugar dissolves and allowed to cool) if it's not sweet enough.

Also give it a try with ginger ale and a squeeze of lemon or lime.

Finally, if you don't have any Pimm's, you can make a "Cheat's Pimms": three parts sweet vermouth, two parts gin, one part Cointreau, one part ruby port (if you have any), Angostura bitters to taste. Combine these and add soda and lemon juice as you would to Pimm's; it's not exactly the same, but it's quite a good drink, especially if you include the port.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Nothing odd about cucumber in Pimms (No. 1) - you need to add a couple of sprigs of freshly torn borage leaves for the nil plus ultra Pimms effect - and a half measure of Hendricks Gin will add a kick to the pleasure!

Dr D.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM

The cucumber stick is the most important part (after the Pimms)...every summer I forget how I made them last year and half the fun is figuring it out all over again. My son suggested Mountain Dew (mmmm, not quite) one night, I've also used "sour" mix, which tends to be too sweet. Grapefruit soda tastes nice with it...I guess it's time to start experimenting again. We put up our gazebo last night.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:26 AM

If I remember correctly, the Pimm's cup was traditionally garnished with borage, an herb with a fragrance reminiscent of cucumber. If borage wasn't available, a strip of cucumber skin or a slice of cucumber was used; I don't usually bother.

Once upon a time there were, I think, six varieties of Pimm's available, based on gin, vodka, Scotch, rye, etc.; but the only one I ever see in the United States, and maybe the only one that's still made, is Pimm's No. 1, which is based on gin.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Being British I've grown up with Pimms. There are many "recipes", but the way I like it, have made it for many years now and serve it (with no complaints from guests) is to slosh Pimms into a glass or jug up to about one third. Add the same quantity of apple juice, and top up with the same amount of lemonade (and I'd never before considered which brand - I just use whatever is leftover - diet, cheap brand, whatever!) Needless to say you have put plenty of ice cubes in the vessel first, and to finish you add sprigs of mint, chopped/sliced cucumber, slices of lemon/orange, sliced strawberries, chopped apple, whatever you feel like. (Cucumber and mint are traditional and essential, and the herb borage with its pretty blue flowers can be added). You can first prepare the fruit, cover it with neat Pimms and leave to macerate for a few hours before mixing. This makes the fruit quite alcoholic, when nibbling at later!
Friends of mine swear by Pimms and ginger ale (not ginger beer), others add gin or vodka (and I've been offered it with cointreau or grand marnier as well - quite nice but phew...!!) to get drunk quicker - personally I'm not a fan of added alcohol.
These approximate measures seem to work well regardless of whether you are just making a single glass to sip on a hot summer's evening, or a welcome drink for 50 people. You can reduce the apple juice, but it does make the Pimms go a lot further without making it taste weaker. Cheers!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Yes, a cucumber in my drink had me startled but then I was 19 and fresh from NC, what did I know
uhoh, congrats!!!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:32 AM

My British sister-in-law insists on cucumber and strawberries when serving Pimms, although she's been known to use fresh raspberries in a pinch (and fresh mint?).
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I personally prefer No.6 which is a vodka base, and as such that much lighter and less "oily" than the gin based No.1. (there were originally 6 Pimm's, with bourbon/scotch/rye bases)

I've no idea about exact measurements, about 1:3 Pimm's to lemonade/accoutrements, although I can't be held to that, it's very much a case of judging by eye from previous times.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Pimm's No.6 is widely available (vodka) and just this last year the company re-launched Pimm's No.3 (Brandy) as a "Winter Cup." I believe it's available exclusively for the time being through Waitrose.

Dr D
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
(this doc, has whatever you need)wink, wink
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I think I have the answer for the "Lemonade" mixer! We enjoyed Pimms and lemonade at the Chelsea Flower Show 3 years ago and bought 2 bottles of Pimms to try to make it here in the States, but to no avail. THEN we discovered the Italian lemon soda that is sold at Whole Foods under their label. We have also used San Pellegrino lemon soda and got the same excellent results. We add a sprig of mint. I hope this works for you!
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 12:50 PM

My name is Patrick. I became an alcoholic by reading Fodors. Hic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -