Notices

How to do Italy- A debate

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Duane

How to do Italy- A debate

Most Americans tour Italy by three ways- 1)Tour boat 2) High class Hotels 3)Pensiones.
Please name your preferred mode of touring and explain why. For my own two cents, Tour Boating is a ridiculous and worthless mode of exploring Italy. High class hotels are better but not much. You miss too much by being catered to by a hotel staff and by eating hotel food. Pensiones are the way to go if you want to get a touch of culture and get a feel for the Italian people. Even if I was a millionaire, I'd tour Italy only by rail and pensione.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:54 AM
StCirq

We've always preferred renting a villa or apartment and settling into an area for a week or two. But of the choices you are suggesting, we'd stay in pensiones. Much prefer to have a car than to travel by train, though - all that scheduling and schlepping of luggage and not being able to make spontaneous decisions to change the route or head to some special event just isn't for us, much as we like the actual train rides.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Katherine

Duane, How about a nice combo of the above? We rented a room from a local in Vernazza, stayed at a luxious villa/palace in Sirmione and assorted places inbetween. The Amalfi coast has an altogether different look for offshore so a day tour along the coastline was fun. Variety is the spice of life and makes a trip all the more interesting.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Laaleen

I'm actually thinking of travelling to Italy in Nov. and would ideally love to stay at a Pensione...however, I am going to be on a budget...Would anyone please suggest a place suitable and economical in the Rome, Venice, or Florence areas? (Feel free to send me an email) Thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 12:04 PM
ifitlookslikea

Another foreigner attacking Americans. What American calls it "Touring Boat" and capitalizes it?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Mr. Go

The correct answer: stay in *** hotels (or colorful/interesting ** hotels) and travel by car. Rent in Germany and drive down thru the Alps.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Kavey

OK...

What's a touring boat?

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 02:18 PM
xxx

Hmmmm.

Debbie Does Dallas.

Duane Do Italy.

??

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:44 PM
Mike

How do you do justice to Le Marche by train?

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:43 AM
elvira

I'm thinking Capri by rail would be an interesting trip.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:11 AM
xxx

Give me a 5 ***** hotel any day of the week. They offer a great place to come back to after a long day of sightseeing and mingling with the locals. I don't know many people who object to great air conditioning, large marble baths; luxurious rooms and central locations; besides, who said you have to eat hotel food just because you stay in a good hotel?

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 10:40 AM
topper

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Duane

The idea of a rental house sounds great to me. When my kids are old enough to appreciate foreign travel, I've thought about the same thing. I still think cruise boating Italy is done by older Americans with weak grasps or appreciations for culture. 5 star travelers are more cultured but prefer being pampered- not my way to tour Italy.