Reload this Page >

How to cloth in london?

Search

How to cloth in london?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:43 AM
pink

How to cloth in london?

Hello,<BR>what sort of things that i need to choose for london,except umbrella? I really need help. I ever heard about fluctuating weather there that make me hesitate to keep things.<BR>Thanks for all kindness.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 09:04 AM
janis

Pink - a lot depends on what month you will be in London. There is a lot of difference during the different seasons.<BR><BR>If you are going in the summer - you do not need a warm coat. Just a sweater or light jacket. Just take clothing you can wear together in layers. Light tops, blouses, sweaters so if it gets too cold you can just add a layer. And yes, do take a small umbrella any time of year.<BR><BR>If you are going in the winter (or early Spring or late Autumn) you will need a coat, gloves, head scarves or hats to keep warm.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 05:47 AM
pink

thanks, Janis.<BR>I plan to pursue master degree at Surrey, not too far fromm london that i think the weather not so different. i will be there around mid July after that i would live there for a year. So it is a bit worry for me what should i dress or set some suitable stuff such as cloths, bag or anything else.<BR>thanks a lot to everyone

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 06:14 AM
just a thought

I don't have too jch experience with this area, but if you're going to be there for a year, why not take along what you need for the foirst few weeks and they buy local clothes after that, getting advice from people who live there? I think you'll probaly find lots of nice rain wear there.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 12:39 PM
Patrick Wallace

I used to work in a university, dealing with international student admissions, and I'd be surprised if the University of Surrey doesn't send out some sort of general guidance in its induction material or an overseas student handbook or something similar. But in general terms, allow for temperatures varying from anywhere around freezing point in a cold snap in winter to around 70F+ in summer. For spring and autumn allow for varying conditions, i.e. layering. If you live in a climate where you don't need heavy winter clothes, you could obviously put off buying any till you get here, and can ask around about where to get the best bargains. I wouldn't bother with an umbrella, most people lose them within a week. You can get the basic local weather forecasts at www.bbc.co.uk, and more information at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/