Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How strict is British Airways with the 1 carry on bag rule?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Mike Miller

Was reading on their website that World Traveler class is only allowed 1 carryon bag. Is this strictly enforced?

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:04 PM
aaa

Yes- it is enforced-as is the weiiight limit for that bag,depending on the agent that's doing the checking in--they will weigh the bag-usually allowed 13-15 lb.ttl--plus a handbag,if you are a woman

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Ed

Pretty strict. Bear in mind it will depend to some degree on the agents and supervisors working the flights, the station and the passenger load expected on the flight. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:26 PM
JOdy

I have always tried to comply with their restictions, then as I get my seat, I see people coming on with wheelaboards, goofy dolls, 5 bags from the outlet stores here in orlando, VCR's . anything you can think of , and kids with all kinds of stuffed animals that are bigger than your backpack. I don;t really know if they try toenforce or if they just say what the hell!!!!!!! <BR>Maybe it just deendson where yur flight originates. but here in Orlando it seems any thing goes!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 04:29 PM
xxx

In winter time BA has made me check my pullman so it does depend on a few things.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:03 PM
zzzz

They were oh-so-polite about it, and yes, strictly enforced their carry-on limitations. This was a few years back & a BA flight from Rome to London.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:16 PM
Mel

I've always complied without trying to get by them--even when my roll-on was small, but heavy. However, we last traveled with two smallish leather duffles (one each) and, although they are possibly heavier than the weight allowance, they didn't ask us to check them and we boarded, knowing we could squish them easily into our alloted overhead space. Unless I'm lucky enough to do a "grand tour" for a few months some day (highly unlikely since we can't even hit THREE numbers on the lottery), I won't travel with any more luggage in the future. Scooting past the baggage carousel on arrival is heaven!

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Rex

My experience with BA in 1999 at JFK airport was that they were 100% strict with the WEIGHT restriction (5 kg, economy class). Ad it was very frustrating, because we saw many other passengers with bags of virtually the same dimensions on board. and it looked to me like THEIR bags weighed MORE than any 5 kg! <BR> <BR>So I agree that it may vary from location to location. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:57 AM
elvira

Okay you got me started... <BR> <BR>Flight this February, U.S. to London. I have a small carryon (21"). Ahead of me: family with child, carrying huge stuffed animal and shopping bag with large toys; middle-aged couple with large duffle bag; cute young French woman with 25" rollon and matching totebag. Guess whose luggage got confiscated and sent to checked baggage....thaaaaat's right, mine - middle-aged woman traveling alone: no man to raise a stink, no cute little kid to whine, no 25yrold butt to wiggle. <BR> <BR>I have no problem with rules, but not when they are arbitrary, and applied to the easiest target.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Lesley

Like Elvira, it's the arbitariness (?spelling) that really gets me. If they were strict, and strict with everyone (and I mean everyone) I could accept that, but it's when some are allowed on with a huge amount, taking up about three luggage racks, and others get pounced on. I came back on a flight from Spain and two couples (english) stood waiting at the front of what was going to be the queue for about half an hour. Later I realised why. They had three large bags of duty free each, which they then put in the luggage rack taking up several whole racks. They didn't have to sit with their baggage on their laps, but because of their selfishness, others did. We fly to Paris several times a year, and my husband takes his laptop as his carry on. Usually no problem, except last time she said the bag was too big (it's actually fairly small as laptops go). Even though I had no carry on on that occasion, she still made him check the bag (he refused to check the computer). You can imagine how annoyed we were when a girl walked on with a huge sports bag, twelve people with laptop cases (as big or bigger) and one young lad with a huge rucksack! The world's favourite airline? I don't think so. <BR>Mike, it's how the check in girl feels, whether she likes your face, whether she's just had an argument with her boyfriend.......

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Joanne

Mike: <BR> <BR>We fly out of SFO on BA and have not had a problem when we leave. We had our first weight check at Gatwick and had to redistribute from carry-ons, etc. to make the 5 kg limit. It seems to me they were very strict when boarding in Rome a year or so ago as well, not with us but other passengers. Therefore, based on the above posts and my experience, it would seem they are somewhat more strict in Europe and completely inconsistent in the US. <BR> <BR>Joanne