Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Not to get your baggage stolen. . .

Any tips/suggestions on packing styles?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:17 PM

I'm a bit concerned on the return trip form London, since it looks as if we still can't bring on certain items. I'm worried about my camera growing legs...

I always carry my good jewelry or stuff I'm really fond of with me.

Perhaps putting small valuable items inside the pocket of clothing. Someone rifling through your clothes should bring some attention.

I live in Chicago and there was an article in the paper about thefts of guns from checked luggage of passengers on United. The police questioned to people and lo and behold, the thefts stopped. They didn't have enough to charge the two, but either they were the thieves or someone else was and got spooked.

What I plan on doing once I reach my destination is to take a look through my bag before I leave the secure area. That way, if something is missing, the airline can't really accuse you of something shady.

Another suggestion - don't spend all your money on expensive luggage. If it looks good on the outside, just think of what's inside. You're only asking for trouble by toting around Gucci bags.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:57 AM

First tip: Don't pack your good jewellery or items of great sentimental value. If you can't wear it on the plane or put it in the small carry-on, don't take it.

You're now permitted to take cameras, camcorders, laptops, mobile phones and PDAs with you (but music players didn't appear on the TSA-approved list).

I agree that you might want to hide things in clothes - I'd recommend previously worn underwear - or cosmetic bags full of tampons )).
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:58 AM

I realise that my tip #1 is too late for Blacknight, who has already gone abroad with good jewellery, but others who haven't started their journeys yet should think about it.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:07 AM

" live in Chicago and there was an article in the paper about thefts of guns from checked luggage of passengers on United. "

GUNS? Do you really mean those things that say BUMBUM and kill people? You are not allowed to take those to Europe without massive beforehand paperwork and declaring them before entering. And a very good reason. And personal protection is not a good reason.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Elina is right. As someone working with arts and antiques, I can tell you that even antique firearms are subject to all sorts of ATF regs, not to mention those on the European side.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Guns- you can check them for domestic flights with minimal paperwork and I think that is what Blacknight was talking about.

I agree with Kate about the idea that if you can't wear it or don't want to lose it, don't take it. I am quite miffed because I love to travel with lots of jewelry (not incredibly expensive stuff, but I do have a lot of silver and gold pieces) and I am absolutely unwilling to check that all. Nor do i want to look like Zsa Zsa Gabor walking through customs with everythying on.

I always pack things so that they do not get broken, which usually means wrapping them in something, which makes them harder to find.

It is rare that things get rifled through while you are in transit. Most baggage theft happens once you have landed and collected. In that case I say keep an eye and a hand on your bags at all time. As a friend of mine learned the hard way, when you can see the bags, sometimes that just means that you can see the guy walk off with your stuff, which is of no help at all.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Will packing with ziploc bags make a difference?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:25 AM
DAX

Use plain boring scuffed suitcases and avoid using expensive designer suitcases may make your suitcase less of a target. Everytime my wife insisted on using those fancy designer suitcases we always had something happened from theft to lost suitcases. Now they are sitting idle in the closet.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM
ira

Hi iya,

There is no way you can avoid having your baggage stolen if someone wants to steal it at one of the airports.

Just don't pack anything that you can't afford to lose.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Anything that's really valuable or irreplaceable can be sent by air courier as a registered shipment. This requires a signature trail of everyone handling it from counter to counter. It's commonly used for high-value freight such as money or jewelry.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM

I've been very lucky...knock on wood..I have never had anything stolen..hmm..yet? Well, hoping I can keep my record going. I don't lock my suitcase or cases. I use twistie ties to keep the zippers from opening. I don't lock it and half the time don't even close it in the hotels. I would not be happy if someone walked off with something, but there is nothing of any value in the suitcase so I'm figuring that if I'm that casual about it, no one will be all that interested either. I don't lock it in the room because it is so easy for someone to just take the whole bag. Anyway, so far so good. I'm crossing my fingers.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I had jewelry stolen from my cabin on one of the two cruises I took. My mistake, left it on the desk.

I had clothing stolen when flying from Burbank to SMF a couple of years ago. No big deal but it did make me angry as it was a favorite beach coverup.

I do not put anything in my checkin luggage I would be heartbroken about if it is stolen. I don't lock my luggage anymore either.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I'm wondering how good of an idea is it to hide things in pockets. Seems to me that the more things "hidden" the more suspicious a TSA agent might be.

I think I'll leave my camera at home if I have to check it.
I agree with DAX. It seems silly to have a really expensive suitcase. Who would care, except a thief?

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Threads relating to fears re 'stolen' or 'lost' luggage seem to appear regularly. Are these fears justified? I have flown from Australia to Europe and return probably twenty times in the last two decades, flying mainly Singapore Airlines, but also Thai, Cathay and Lufthansa. I have arrived mainly at Frankfurt but also Heathrow and CDG on a couple of occasions. I have never lost any luggage, nor has the luggage ever failed to arrive on the same flight. I suspect that this is normal, but an inexperienced traveller reading this branch might suspect otherwise. Still, I suppose folks seldom post about 'luggage' except when something goes wrong. My experience indicates that things generally go right.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Hi Adeben, I have not had anything stolen from my checked luggage in the past but I wonder if the fact people will now have to check things like cameras and laptops (if the current handluggage rules continue) will make such theft more commonplace.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:03 PM
P_M

I agree with the advice not to pack valuables in the suitcase, but here's my strategy to deter anyone who wants to steal my entire suitcase:

I still use a ratty-looking suitcase. My suitcase is such an embarassment, but at least I don't have to worry about it being stolen.

If I ever do replace my ratty-looking suitcase, I will get one that stands out in a crowd, like a bright orange suitcase. No, I do not like bright orange, but there are several reasons it's a good idea:

1. The thief will think I have no taste and wait for a nicer looking bag.

2. The thief doesn't want a bag that draws attention or stands out in the crowd.

3. If a thief steals a black or navy bag, it would be easy for him/her to pretend it was a mistake because so many bags are black or navy. But if someone takes a bright orange bag, nobody is going to believe it's an honest mistake.

4. Honest mistakes DO happen as so many bags look alike, and it would be so easy for someone to accidentally take my bag.

So there you have it, when the holes get too big in my ratty suitcase, I will be on the lookout for even tackier-looking luggage.

Orange with zebra stripes would be ideal....
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM

I'm not gone yet, Kate _W. I don't leave until next Sunday. I'll be sure to check with British Airways before hand to see if I can carry on jewelry, Otherwise it's a few pieces for me.

Yes, I was talking about domestic travel when I mentioned the stolen guns. They had been declared in checked baggage. The victims included a police officer and a soldier going to Afghanastan.

These are the times we live in, folks (sigh).
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM

This seems really spendy to me, but I recently saw a list of companies that will ship luggage for you. However, if I were going somewhere on business and laptop computers had to be checked, I'd consider it. (Your item is shipped to your final destination, ie. your hotel room.)

Here are some websites:
www.skycapinternationalcom
(part of Fedex)
www.sportsexpress.com
www.usxpluggageexpress.com
www.virtualbellhop.com
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM

In short, don’t bring anything with you that you would hate to lose or insurance cannot cover replacement value.

To put it into perspective, I have traveled over 120,000 miles per year every year for the past 10 years (that’s one trip to/inter Europe every month for the past 10 years), and nothing has ever been stolen from my check-in baggage. YES, my luggage has gone astray several times, but it has always turned up without anything missing. Maybe I have been lucky, but given my experience and the miles I travel, I have to assume that theft is an anomaly, and not the norm.

My worst case was when I was doing a business trip to Spain, with a few days holiday, and I was reunited with my baggage on my return journey, 10 days later. I found out later that while I was in Spain, my luggage was enjoying a holiday in Montego Bay, Jamaica! During that time, I estimated the cost of contents and compared it with the replacement cost from the airlines. I had some really expensive suits and outrageously expensive shoes and handbag. I learnt a valuable lesson. Subsequently, I packed cheaper suits and shoes.

If you are still worried, have your bags “saran-wrapped” at the airport, so at least you will know if they have been interfered with.

Regards Ger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -