Reload this Page >

How much wine can be brought back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 03:01 PM
traveler

How much wine can be brought back into the US? Is there a difference whether it is shipped back or carried back? (We're traveling to France (Alsace), Germany (Rhine area), Austria, Switzerland, and touching into Italy (SudTirol area).) Thanks!

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 03:14 PM
mickey

Last trip to Italy I went to winery and had no problem getting wine shipped home It was shipped fed x and on the lable it was posted food in glass they shipped 6 bottles at a time I got 2 cs of red table wine( Super Tuscan) it cost about 5 dollars a bottle to send home its was worth it legaly you can bring home 4 bottles For a great wine with no sulfites try this winery mail order WWW.torciano.com San Gimigano Tuscany Italy. ps the four bottles do not include what you can buy duty free at the airport .

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 05:56 PM
StCirq

YOu can bring back 3 bottles apiece (adults) by law, but Customs may be kinder to you. Shipping is a major hassle. My advice is to drink what you want to drink while there and enjoy - shipping wine is more hassle than it's worth, and chances are, your state requires lots of informatio before allowing you to bring in wine. Some states prohibit it. Really, best bet is to drink it and enjoy it and forget bout getting it back to the USA.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Rex

I think it is more or less limited by how much you can physically carry. Be aware that this may run contrary to the ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Commission) laws and regulations in your state. Likewise bringing alcoholic beverages across state lines where you live might mean that you have import tax liabilities, for all I know. <BR> <BR>See a reference in the thread "Best Red wine in Italy" (topped simultaneously with this posting). <BR> <BR>Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum! <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:32 AM
topping again

however briefly...

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Bob

I think the 3 bottles each applys to duty free. I is my understanding that you could be taxed for over 3 bottles. Your port of entry state controls the amount that can be brought in.