How much time in Skye?

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time in Skye?

I'm in the process of planning a 10-day trip to Scotland for myself, my husband, and my parents. (We're mid-40s, my parents late 60s). Our interests would include enjoying the scenery, hiking (not more than moderately strenuous), distilleries, castles and things historic, and good dining. Not that we need to do all of the above in Skye!
What would be an appropriate amount of time in Skye, given that we will also visit Edinburgh and Mull on this trip? Any suggestions for a good place to use as a base of operations?

Many thanks,
Dlemma
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Portree is a very pretty town and I suggest one night there sandwiched between the most of two full days to explore the island and do some hiking. It's beautiful there and I hope the weather cooperates with you!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:22 PM

A LOT depends on the weather. If you are lucky (they don't call it the Misty Isle for nothing) 3 days/2 nights would let you do all of the things you listed. If the weather is bad and the vistas are obliterated then you could cut back to a day or so.

When are you traveling? Unless it is July/August you really don't need to book ahead so you can go where the weather takes you.

On a nice day there is no prettier place on Earth. But some people have been to Skye 3 or 4 times before "seeing" any of Skye.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Our trip is set for Sept. 18-29. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed regarding the weather. It sounds like maybe 2 nights there would be reasonable? Assuming the weather isn't too damp?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 11:19 PM

Dlemma- it's one of those- how long is a piece of string? questions.

On Skye you will get scenery in bags, walking of any sort you want, one distillery,one decent castle, two or three notable historic sights (tho' the whole place is imbued with history) and two or three very good places to eat. The Three Chimneys is one of the 100 best restauarnts in the world and the Hotel Eilean iarmain and lady Clare macdonald's place are both pretty good.

Lots of people here take their whole family holiday there. Portree is pretty central, but I'm a great beleiver in findinga nice place as well as getting hung up on location. The Three Chimneys does accommodation in the House Over By. And I LOVE the Eilean Iarmain. But I quite like the Sligachan too. I'm not blown away be any of the country house hotels.

Hope this helps. We've been sunburnt on Skye in late September.