Search

How much time in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time in Amsterdam?

Hello.

I'm in super early stages of thinking of a March or May 2015 trip to Amsterdam. March would be great, as a friend would be there then, but I could probably only manage something like 5.5 days. I'm thinking of daytrips to Hague, Rotterdam, and somewhere to see the flowers, which I worry leaves me too little time for Amsterdam (love a ton of good art museums). Weather would also not be as good. If I went in May, I could maybe squeeze something like 6.5 or even 7.5 days, which seems a lot more doable.

So ... is it worth a shorter trip, maybe cutting out a day trip? Is there a great day trip idea I'm missing? Zeeland? Somewhere more around the water?
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:50 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ite-things.cfm

Well been going to Amsterdam at lest yearly for too many years to say - 5.5 days would be enough for most - I'd spend three full days in Amsterdam and 1.5 on day trips - Haarlem right on Amsterdam's doorstep is as nice as any regional Dutch town - check out also Zannse Schanse, just a short train trip from Amsterdam or Haarlem:

https://www.google.com/search?q=zaan...=1600&bih=1075

Delft is a favorite with many. I love Rotterdam because I prefer modern avant=garde archtiecture to a serioes of old towns.
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:17 PM

If May, early May for the tulips at Keukenhoff - an amazing sight! So if May gets you there for the tulips, I'd definately pick that. There is plenty to do for 6/7 days esp. if you like museums as well.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:33 PM

www.keukenhof.nl

cYes indeedy all the flowers and more you want to see at the Dutch horticultural industry's finest products, all on show in this pulchritidinous blooming event.

On your own take a train to Leiden and then frequent shuttle buses from there to the Keukenhof Gardens entrance.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I think there's a bus from the Airport, too.

So, now I'm even more confused about possible day-trips. I definitely want one for Keukenhof (can maybe also walk around Leiden), a second probably for The Hague, and maybe a third for some combination of Haarleem or Delft or Rotterdam. Perhaps there's a way to streamline some of this?

I do move fairly quickly, and I know that all these places are pretty close to each other, but I'm just not able to see a clear path.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is most definitely a bus from Schiphol which will take you to Keukenhof.
Old May 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM

The Hague and Delft are easy combos - I recently did each each on the same day - Den Hagues's relatively few worthy sights - the Mauritshuis and adjoining old royal digs are in a compact area a short walk from the Central Train Station - then you walk thru the heart of The Hague to Den Hague H.S. (Hollands Spoor) train station for trains to Delft or you can take a tram from The Hague to Delft.

Delft is not a huge city but IME has a bevy of sights - get a walking tour map at the VVV (Tourist Office) and enjoy.
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:50 PM

http://www.royaldelft.com/static.asp?myid=135&menu=3

To me a nice addition to Delft's lovely old looks is the Porcelen Fles - Royal Delftware headquarters with museum and factory where you see the famous ceramics being craft4ed - also can buy seconds. It is about 2 km outside of town -= a lovely walk there along a canal but if doing so would take a few hours extra.
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:02 PM

I'd group The Hague, Delft, Rotterdam in one: they're all on the same trainline.

Amsterdam - The Hague is about an hour by train
Amsterdam - Rotterdam by Intercity Direct is 40 minutes. (direct train, goes from Schiphol directly to Rotterdam central)
Rotterdam - Delft is 15 minutes
Delft - The Hague is 15 minutes
Rotterdam - The Hague is 30 minutes.

But why not visit Utrecht (25 minutes from Amsterdam by train)?
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:33 AM

Utrecht has the museum of mechanical musical instruments - hardly water-based (if that's what you're looking for) but fun all the same:
http://www.museumspeelklok.nl/?Language=en
http://autolycus-london.blogspot.co....d-to-have.html
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:11 AM

Utrecht is to me as fine as any Dutch regional town though so few folks here ever consider going there - close to Amsterdam - 30 minutes or so by train - neat old canals - take a boat tour thru them - great shopping, etc.
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess I'm mostly an art museum kind of person, but at least getting to wander through a couple of the other cities would be nice too. So, maybe something like a long day at Hague - Delft - Rotterdam and part of a day (could even start at 8) at the bulb fields would be do-able. Then, I could always quickly visit Haarlem.
Old May 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Haarlem has the Frans Hals Museum. You might also want to check when the market's on.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Haarlem's square and St. Bavo's church is a great visit. Have lunch or dinner on the square. If memory serves a scenic city gate and cute bridges are nearby. Also, nearby is the Teyler's museum, albeit not really an art museum, it has a little something for everyone.
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM

Haarlem is also known as cannabis city for its pioneering of de-facto legalization of marijuana - the city's coffeeshops are legend - there is a cannabis museum - you never know what different strokes push the spokes for one!
Old May 8th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in Amsterdam solo for 4 days at the start of one of my Europe trips. That was a decent amount of time but I did not do any day trips, only stayed right in the city, getting around on foot.
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Helpful to plan. Maybe ideally a week for me, then, with about 4-4.5 days in Amsterdam and 2 days for day trips. Definitely must do tulips/bulbs and a long day trip to like Hague, Delft, Rotterdam.
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Hague, Delft, Rotterdam.>

Chose two of these not three IMO - two are very large cities with a myriad of interesting stuff. Delft is small but if you want to go to the Delft Ware factory/plant that takes time to (and IMO is highly recommendable!).

Rotterdam to me could consume the most time - all day in my case and I've got to go back again to mop up!
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:32 AM

. Definitely must do tulips/bulbs>

Here is a neat way to reach the Keukenhof if you like walking a few miles - take the train to Haarlem - have a look at this neat old city - as nice as any in Holland IMO! And then take the train to Hillegom - a station right in the middle of the flower fields.

I tiptoed thru the tulips from here (well other blooms as well - a pulchritudinous sea of bloom - tuilps may well be done by May) - walk on side roads right thru the heart of the flower fields to the Keukenhof - then take the shuttle bus to Leiden - spend some time looking around that neat ole town. Take train back to Amsterdam.

Or from Haarlem's train station take bus #100 that goes right thru the heart of the flower fields to the Keukenhof.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:39 AM

One caution about the Keukenhof: I think if you go in May, the tulips might be decapitated. (They were when we visited). Still a nice park.

Years ago we did a day trip to Delft and the Hague. We enjoyed Delft's square. Hague was underwhelming (as a tourist destination) but maybe others have had better experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -