Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time do I need to catch a transit flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 11:36 AM
Vince

In the wake of the enhanced airport security all over the world, how much time do you think is necessary nowadays in LHR, CDG or FRA to catch a transit flight? In December I will be flying from U.S. to Ukraine changing planes somehwere in Europe. <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:25 PM
s.fowler

LHR has upped the legal connection time to 2 hours.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 02:32 PM
christina

ciao vince <BR> <BR>normally the tourist office should calculate you enough time for connecting flights. s.fowler is right, on LHR you allways needed 2 hours, they don't give you less time. frankfurt does have now a very tough security check (even for transit passengers), a year ago you needed 1 hour between your flights, could be that it changed now. cdg is the same as lhr, 2 hours (the airport is even more complicated then lhr). <BR> <BR>christina

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 12:08 AM
Sjoerd

For what it is worth: I will be flying Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Vancouver soon, and my original itinerary had a transit time at FRA of 70 minutes. I called LH and they advised me to take an earlier flight to FRA. 2 hours should be enough.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:24 AM
Bob Brown

I have found that within Europe, afternoon flights are usually late because of the heavy traffic. Airline traffic in Europe does not seem to have dropped off like it has here. <BR>We needed 2 full hours to get through the security procedures in Munich this past Thursday morning (Sept 20) <BR>It was about the same in Philadelphia until we were told we could leave the international concourse and re-enter at Terminal B for our continuing flight. <BR>So 10 minute walk in the rain saved us from standing in a claustrophobic line for 50 minutes. <BR>Yesterday in Charlotte, there seemed to be as many ticket agents as passengers. <BR> <BR>If you are changing planes at Charles DeGaulle airport, it is important to know if you also have to change terminal buildings. Air France and Delta, plus any other allies, use T2, which in turn is divided into 5 "halls", A, B, C, D, and F. (E is under construction.) Lufthansa, US Airways, and most of the other airlines use T1. it is a non trivial matter to get from one to the other. <BR>My recommendation is that if you have an afternoon flight into CDG, with a connection to the USA, that you allow more than 2 hours. I learned the hard way 2 years ago that 90 minutes of connecting time on paper is not enough. <BR> <BR>In my experience, the best connections are through Schipohl airport in Amsterdam. We were flying with KLM that particular trip. <BR> <BR>CDG is the most bewildering airport to get around in until you know the layout of the various buildings. There are some good diagrams of CDG on the web. <BR>If you are connecting there, you need time and a good idea of where you need to go. <BR> <BR>