Search

How much time?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time?

We're slow tourists...........how much time do you think we should we allow for Westminster Abbey and Tower of London? (separate days)
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
on average 3 to 4 hours for the Tower (plus any meals/gift shops -- and there are several good ones). Basically half a day.

1.5 to 2 hours for the Abbey

(from another <i>slow</i> tourist )
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Molasses is my middle name, and I agree.

When we went to the Tower we spent upwards of 6 hours- which included a pretty decent sit down meal at the cafeteria, and a lot of time shopping at the gift shops, which were a lot of fun.

Westminster Abbey is big, and also pretty crowded. I think I escaped after an hour because I was getting frustrated by the crowds, but a more thorough tour would have taken 2 hours, easily.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM

What they said.

And I hope you plan to be at these two amazing sites a bit before opening on those two separate days.

(In the Abbey the audio guide is great, with Jeremy Irons narration. It takes about 90 minutes. I've heard the Verger's tour is wonderful, also, and will try to do that if ever back myself. No pics in Abbey, and that makes things a bit faster than if they were allowed!)
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Texasbookworm ~ I have been listening to those of you in the know, I have "Westminster Abbey Day" where we get there early, and other sights are planned afterwards, the same for "Tower of London Day" ~ plan on arriving BEFORE opening times in the morning at both places.

So next question........how much time for Windsor Castle? Opens at 9:45.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say about 4 hours inside the castle precincts (more if you are specially 'snail prone'). But it partly depends on the day of the week and time of year. If it is a particularly busy day -- the queue for the dollhouse alone can eat up 20 or 30 minutes. If you are there right at opening time -- then you'll save quite a bit of time in the queues for both the dollhouse and the State Rooms. The 4 hrs includes time for St George's Chapel and gift shops.

Plus allow time to explore Windsor and maybe Eton.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM

How much time should you spend reading this post? After all, this post is quite long and has all sorts of verbiage. If you were to read it to the end, there is the potential that the end result could be very informative and satisfying, but there is also the possibility that it will be completely irrelevant and useless to you.

So it is with how initial posts are titled. If you title it with something specific, like "Time needed to see Westminster & Tower?", then people who had specific interest and information on that particular subject could choose to respond, and to provide their perspectives. If, however, you title a post "How much time?" then you, of course, have a 'hook', such that all kinds of curious people will open the post, many of whom will be completely wasting their time reading it, because they have no interest in the actual topic and content of the post, and no information to provide you in a response. They read the post, even if they have no interest or perspectives relevant to the post, because it is somehow alluring, no matter how very vague the original entreaty is.

If you have read this far, then perhaps you have understood the implicit message of this response, and humble but sincere request: please be considerate of others - - there are floods of new posts every day; please be the slightest bit understanding that other people want to use their time expeditiously and usefully, while they try to be of service to others - - please title your posts with better consideration of how it might both serve your needs, but work best for the whole Fodors forum community, most of us being very caring, and want to do the best for others, but also deserve some respect in how they use their time optimally in responding to the needs of others. Please title your posts to include more relevant detail.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM

Making replies as concise as possible also helps readers.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 04:06 AM

Hi Wrenwood,

I often ask similar questions of how much time something normally takes so I too can gauge how much time to allot to a particular venue.

For the Tower of London we spent 5 and 1/2 hours. We got there a little before opening and left by 14:30. This included going to the crown jewels first and peeking into some of the other towers then circling back to pick up the first Warder's tour of the day. After the tour which leaves off by the church we walked into the White tower and spent about an hour admiring all the arms and armour. We had a nice lunch in the cafeteria. Decent food. We saw the ravens and walked a bit of the ramparts and went into the Martin tower. We spent some time in the gift shop too before departing.

In Westminster Abbey we only spent 45 minutes because we were with the London walks tour. After the tour ended we did not linger in the Abbey. That day was really just packed with tourists.

We spent about 2 and 1/2 hours at St Paul and that included the climb to the top.

For Windsor figure on at least a half day. You do have to wait on the security line before approaching the ticket line so that can eat up a good chunk of time. We waited about an hour. We went there in the afternoon if I recall correctly. The line for the doll house wasn't that long because there were no bus groups at that time. We waited about 20 minutes. I hope this helps.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:32 AM

dfourh: They hooked you, too, did they?;-)
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Patrick and dfourh and eastendderusvi

Did NOT mean to HOOK anyone

Most of my posts/questions are fairly consise, this was not ~ on purpose ~ as I am intending to add some other questions about "How much time" for other places we want to visit on our trip to England.

Once one clicked on this topic, I think it might have taken 10 seconds to have figured out if you wanted to respond or not. Sorry to have wasted 10 seconds of your time, meant no disrespect. I click on vague subjects in certain countries or topics I am interested in, or have visited, in the hope I can help. I have received SO much help from this Forum and tried to help off and on where I could (although my Trip Reports are sadly lacking!)

Thank you all that have responded, you have been very helpful