How much should you tip in restaurants?

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:33 AM
bummingaround

How much should you tip in restaurants?

What's the usual percentage to tip waiters and such in the UK and France?

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Gretchen

Service is usually included in France so no further tip is required.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM
snorkelman

please pay attention to the local customs. Otherwise you will usually overtip and thus perpetuate the myth that all americans are rich (assuming that you are american).

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Steve

Most Euopean countries add it to the bill. Check the bill closely. If it's been added, round up and you're good to go.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Be careful

In France, a 16% service charge has already been added to the price of each item. In France, being a waiter/waitress is a career, not a job that people do while in collge like in the US. They get paid a full salary, unlike waiters in the US, where most of the wages come from tips.

Americans actively impose their own cultural norms and often add an additional 15%. While Americans think that they are doing 'good', they actually build resentment from locals who think Americans throw money around.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:43 PM
elaine

I disagree with some of the comments above but I don't want to start a war. This is one of those topics where disagreement is sometimes responded to like an attack.
For some other opinions, look elsewhere on this Fodor's website for general information, tipping suggestions by country. Or just look in the general info section of any standard guidebook.
Here are other websites that have tipping suggestions

www.bparis.com/newsletter1464/newsletter_show.htm?doc_id=7343&attrib_id=1946

www.worldexecutive.com/cityguides/paris/etiquette.html

www.tipping.org

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Tipper

I've heard/read before how people in Europe will resent Americans for overtipping as it appears that they are "throwing their money around." Is that really true? Do the street vendors in Europe get upset if you pay their first price for an item and don't try to haggle? If not, then what's the difference? I guess I can see the cause of the resentment, but if I was a waiter I'd love the extra money.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:21 PM
fiona

in the Uk check your bill. some establishments add a service charge and some do not. However there is not really the same obsession here with what percentage to tip as there seems to be in the US.10% would be a rough guide for you.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:34 PM
fiona

in the Uk check your bill. some establishments add a service charge and some do not. However there is not really the same obsession here with what percentage to tip as there seems to be in the US.10% would be a rough guide for you.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:37 PM
xxx

The "resentment" that Americans build from the locals when they tip is not from the waiters who appreciate recognition of their services -- but rather from the local patrons. I truly believe you'd be hard pressed to find a waiter who doesn't appreciate a tip for "extra" service. I feel that if a waiter has gone out of his way to make my meal a pleasant experience, and with the language barriers he usually has, then he often deserves a little extra -- but it is more likely to be between 5 and 10%, not the 20% I'd tip at home. And if it is just a normal meal being served in a normal way, then I really don't feel that a tip is needed at all. In other words, I don't tip for the standard service, but I do if the waiter has done anything to make my experience better than it would have been normally or taken time to explain things to me.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Hera

Basic rule of thumb: tip 10% unless the service was downright awful.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:59 PM
carol

MOST restaurants in France include 10-20% service fee on the bill, saying "service compris" and usually the percentage, but not always. If the bill says "service compris" (service included) then you do not have to leave a tip, but a small one is a good idea for good service. If it does not, or it says "service non compris," your should leave a tip as at home.