HOW much for that hotel room?

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOW much for that hotel room?

Have you heard about the recent study by LaSalle Hotels and The Economist newspaper? The study says London hotels are the most expensive of any major city in the world. Using an index pegged, to all things, the relative local cost of a McDonald's Big Mac, London hotels average 70 percent higher than New York City!

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:28 AM

It is absolutely TRUE! We just got back and I am still in shock at how expensive it was. We were traveling with two children. While some of the great museums are free as is the changing of the guards, so much is outrageously expensive. a one hour tour of Kensington Palace for a family of four was $85. I lived in London after college so I saw a lot, but this was my first trip over with my husband and kids. I am certainly glad I took them, but we will not be going back. Meals in modest restaurants for two adult two children ran $90 -100 without wine. Forget about kids menues. The best meal deal was at our hotel, Holiday Inn Kensington ($275 per night for a HOLIDAY INN!) where breakfast was free for each kid accompanied by an adult. Therefore it was only $60.00. Not a bargin and not for the faint of heart.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Intrepid

Well, I guess SOMEBODY has to pay for all those weddings, all those subsequent divorces and re-weddings, the intermittent fires, the 1/2 million Pound engagement rings, etc....but I am certain this "news" will not surprise anyone who has tried to book a hotel room in London in the past ten years.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:56 AM

That's why I'm glad I broke out of the big city mold. 6 years ago I thought I'd never do anything in Europe other than the big cities: London, Paris, Munich, Rome, Lyon, Berlin, etc.

Then friends of mine with their kids moved to Leipzig, Germany for 2 years. What an eye-opener. There is way more to France than Paris, more to England than London and on and on.

Last year I spend a week in Norwich, Ely and Cambridge. On hotels alone I spent half what I would have in London. I get to meet more local people who aren't as jaded by tourists too.

I'll always enjoy the famous big cities, but they'll be a night or two on the end of a European vacation for me from now on, not the bulk of it.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Calamari,

First, it was good to read that you are glad you went to London with your family. A couple of questions/observations:

Who charged you $85 for a tour of Kensington Palace? (the family admission pass is £31,or about $51, at the door).

Actually, $275 for two rooms in Holiday Inn isn't that bad for a city like London, or even New York. Many folks have posted on Fodors that they are sucessfully using Priceline and other auction sites to get less expensive, 4-star hotel rooms in London...but auctions usually don't provide much choice on specific hotel locations.

Meals are a challenge cost-wise. I use this rule of thumb: food in London costs in pounds (&pound what you would pay in dollars $ in a US city. During good weather, a picnic in a London park makes a good family meal venue.

$
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:41 AM

We had one family room, two double beds in the room. Not two rooms. Still think it was a deal? It was the best one we could find. Our tour at Ken Pal was worth it for me, but boring for the kids.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM

I think you can find reasonably good deals in London but you must shop around. Don't make a reservation at the first hotel you come across. We've been to London several times and I have never paid $275 a night for a hotel, ever. You absolutely can do London on a budget if you travel at the right time of year and do your planning in advance. We find the best bargains in the off season.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Yes, London is expensive but like the last poster said you can do it on a budget and still stay in a decent apartment or hotel. I know because we do it every year and we've never spent $275 a night. I understand what happened to Calamari - they booked into an apt that turned out to be a dump and in panic mode (I'd have been that way too) grabbed the first hotel they came across that was decent, i.e. Holiday Inn). With no time to shop around they payed big bucks. Very unfortunate.

You can eat in London on a budget too, there are plenty of inexpensive places. (Sure you can splurge too .. we do, but we generally keep it inexpensive). We rent an apt. and eat breakfast in (always) and sometimes dinner if we are beat. Lunches can be pasta, pizza, sandwiches (picnic in the park too), and things like that.

If you know how to do it London can be done without breaking the bank Everyone's priorities are different tho.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:02 PM

One way my husband and I, and two other adults, saved on our trip to London was to stay at one of the universities. They rent out their dorm rooms in the summer. For us, it was perfect....all we needed was a place to drop our luggage and then GO GO GO.

We didn't view staying in a London hotel as one of our 'goals' when we were there, so we weren't willing to spend any more money in that direction than absolutely necessary. Instead, we allocated our money for other things, and just used our rooms for one purpose: to sleep.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 12:27 PM

True and the rooms are not that great for the price ususally.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 02:59 PM

hi,

I have to say I am amazed that anyone had to pay $275 for a family room in london. It must have been an emergency situation.

Like others, I have been to london several times and have always been able to find a 4 star hotel for less than $100 a night. anywhere from 55-75 pds, and this is per room including vat. Also, I have yet to use priceline.

My secret? well no real secret. We plan ahead and I surf the net quite a bit watching for specials. I usually start planning about 4 months ahead time. I usually start wishing about a year ahead and I am always watching the net.

I try to stay away from the big hotels, unless I find a real steal.

As far as the cost of London, I agree it is expensive compared to other cities. One, our dollar is very weak against the pd right now. For every ten pds you spend, it is approx. $16-17. I spoke about this before, but you need to budget about $75-100 a day (not including air and hotel). of course you can do it for less, it will depend on what you want to get out of the trip.

I refuse to scimp on meals, so I just save a little more before I go. I save on things like admissions and transportation. (we always use the tube instead of cabs).

One final say about meals....I avoid hotel restuarants. to me they are always the most expensive for the least amount. the mom and pop restuarants in the neighborhoods are the best. I have had a 4-5 course italian meal for less than 20 pds per person and that included a caraf of wine. I have had a 7 course indian cuisine dinner for less.
and I stay away from mcd's or burger king, unless I want a coke with ice. the local market usually has a great deli and bread and if I need a quick meal, thats what I do. And I always visit the local market for snacks to take to the hotel and carry around rather than buying on the run.

that said, I agree with the original poster to a point, if you don't preplan, london can be very expensive.

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM

Have reservations at the Holiday Inn Victoria for 2 single beds at a rate of 105.00GBP per night with a rate change of 90.00GBP for the weekend(Fri. Sat. Sun.)
Arriving in October but reservations made in May. The hotel is now quoting rates of 180.00GBP per night for a room with 2 twin beds!!!
Pays to shop early???
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Hi, I agree that there is a lot more in Europe besides the big cities....I also agree that London is very expensive.

I do not agree however with Intrepid 's explanation...that someone has to pay for the royal weddings, rings...
surely that is a simplified if not prejudiced explanation.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 11:44 PM

I think Intrepid's comments are funny. He sounds almost British to me as he is quite good at "taking the piss" out of all the defensive travelers. Good on you as they say.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 12:38 AM
AllyPally

London is just one of those cities where the whole world comes to live, not just visit. And people come here to make money - always have, always will. There is a lot of greed here. We are up against the fabulously wealthy and they have been here a long time: the aristocracy, the Royal Family, wealthy Arabs. No one sat down and decided how to swindle tourists - it is a system that has evolved ever since the Romans settled on the banks of the Thames. One must understand the history of this great city in order to appreciate this.

Having said this, I agree with all the previous posters. London does not need to be expensive. My top tip for hotels is to try and book the Travel Inn at County Hall. Right around the corner from London Eye and across the river from Parliament. A family of four can sleep for £89.

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:42 PM

Here! Here! Yes, London is a fab city! This fact is not even in question. If we return to the top of the thread we will see statistics that say it is one of the most expensive towns around. Frankly, I did not go to London to eat Mc Donalds or any beef for that matter. The fact that the cost is higher than NYC is sort of shocking. We had a nice time but we do not need to pay through the nose for a good time. Although Rome and Florence were also expensive, we got so much more out of it.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:00 PM

A truism - someplace must have the most expensive hotels and restaurants. What a shame it isn't Peoria. Then everybody from Peoria could say how inexpensive everyplace else is and everybody else could be glad they don't have to go to Peoria because it's so expensive and, if they do go, they can complain incessantly. No offense, Peorians(?).
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM

I booked a Family room at the Thistle Victoria for 96gps per night for a Friday and a Saturday the last weekend in August.(I'm so happy to have a good value that's at such a good location). The next weekend was quoted at 176gps per night. We are planning to visit the Cotswold area on our second weekend, since London got pricey on that weekend.
Breakfast is not included for the weekend that we'll be staying in London. I read on this Board that Alpino's across from the Victoria Coach station has good breakfasts. I also heard the Victoria Station has good spots for breakfasts. Well, any favorites?
We'll be heading for the Victoria Underground on Saturday and Sunday morning. We'll want Fast, Filling, and Delicious.
Thanks,
Emily
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 10:05 PM

Em. Please check out your Thistle Victoria hotel really well before departure. I had a bad Thistle experience last month which of course does not mean all Thistles are bad. I would be weary. Yes, Victoria station does have lots of little "grab a french pastry" type places. The smell in heavenly. Good for eating on the run before catching say...a train. Since you will be traveling with tots, be sure to go to the Natural History museum for the dynos and the British Museum for the mummies. Both free by the way. Bon Voyage!
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 10:23 PM

Thats one reason for my constant saying" there is more to Britain than London".

Muck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -