How much booking ahead...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of attractions do I really need to do if I am traveling to Brussels/Bruges/Ghent/Cologne/Amsterdam (and surroundings) Nov 30-Dec. 12? I'm afraid of flight disruptions messing up too strict of an itinerary. Glad more attractions have free cancellations.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 12:16 PM

I am facing the same problem as my daughter and I are going to Brussels again in late January. We have a day where I am trying to arrange a visit with someone and so we may have to be flexible with our time, but I also have in mind the need to book timeslots for attractions. I think for January there won't be such a problem, but you might get a few visitors or people more underway to those parts in the lead-up to Christmas (in the Netherlands shops will be busier first with Sinterklaas 5 December (6 Dec in Belgium) and then with Christmas preparations. In Brussels there is the Winter Wonders festival also, and in Cologne you will have a Christmas market (usually there are about 7 markets in Cologne but not sure this year because of energy rationing)). So yes, busier, and yes, probably a need to book gallery and museum timeslots. - perhaps two weeks out would be sufficient unless the attractions are really popular. Have you looked to see what availability is like now?

Flight disruptions shouldn't bother you for more than a day or two at the beginning of your journey - can you not plan flexibly just for the first day or two (perhaps a shopping day)? Where are you flying into?

Lavandula
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 12:40 PM

I just had a quick look at Anne Frankhuis and at the moment there seem to be plenty of time slots available in early December. The van Gogh museum has fewer tickets available and I would advise you book those asap if you are planning a visit. There is currently also a Klimt exhibition on there which explains the popularity.
The Rijks seems to have plenty of slots - maybe everyone is waiting for the Vermeer expo in February.
I don't know which other places in or around Amsterdam you are thinking of, but most have an English website where you can see if you need to book a timeslot and what is available.