How many days in Rome?

Mar 7th, 2001, 05:58 AM
sara

How many days in Rome?

I am planning a trip to Rome. Is it advisable to go during the Easter weekend? How many days should I spend in Rome (and the Vatican) to see all the major sites? I have only 4 or 5 days of holidays.
Is a day trip to Pompeii and/or Naples viable?

Thanks!

Mar 7th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Ed

I would avoid an Eastertime visit to Rome.

I would spend no less than three full days, better at least four.

Pompeii daytrip quite doable. It's less than two hours by train to Naples and another half hour by a second train to Pompeii.

Mar 26th, 2001, 04:49 AM
joedy

I just spent 3 days in Rome. I thought I'd see a lot more, but I am somewhat easily engrossed in details of art and architecture. I ended up spending 2.5 days in the Vatican Museums, Vatican Garden, and St.Peter's Basilica. I spent 1 afternoon at the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. However, I live in Naples, so my mentality was that I could always come back any afternoon, so I could afford to spend time soaking in the things that awed and inspired me.

Mar 26th, 2001, 04:59 AM
J T Kirk

You need at least 3-4 days to "see" Rome in the tourist sense. But you need more time "to get to know" Rome. There is a lot there to savor. I didn't expect to like it much, but I was surprised. Our trip focused on Tuscany (which was very nice), but what I really rememeber about our trip was the few days we spent in Rome. We are going to make a return trip to strictly focus on Rome.

Mar 26th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Syl

Everyone has different interests, but after 3 days of Rome sightseeing, we were ready for something different, suffering "antiquity stimulus overload". On the spur of the moment hubby and I booked Vastours (tour #12)for a two day trip to Naples (drive by),lunch, Pompeii (fascinating guided tour),Sorrento (stayed overnight at Bristol Hotel,dinner & breakfast included), boat trip in a.m. to Isle of Capri, boat trip to see the Blue Grotto, trip to Anacapri(exquisite jewel & lunch included), then returned to our Rome hotel very late the second day. The cost for the entire two days was $200/person, which we thought was a great deal, very entertaining and enjoyable. P.S. Thought Pompeii was totally fascinating, though Naples did not impress me as it seemed neglected.

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Gigi

I spent ten days in Roma and found much to do. Of course, I really love art and architecture. It all depends on what your interests are.
Have a wonderful trip!

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:43 PM
John

Italians celebrate Easter with closure of many sites / stores etc.. Rome is not particularly kind to short time visitors during the holidays.

Pompeii is well worth a visit, but there are soooo many interesting things in and around Naples.

Mentioned earlier are Pompeii/Capri/Naples. I would disagree that Naples does not have much to offer. I spent ten days there last spring and only scratched the surface. A visit to Pompeii without a visit to Herculaneum and Capodimente in Naples is a crime. Eliminating the Amalfi Coast and Capri is a felony. Missing Cacerta and Paestum is a misdemeanor.

You may want to consider concentrating on Rome for your short visit and leave the Naples area for a future visit.